The Right Stuff - For one day only

Aye, good job I've seen it before.

No intermission. I'm gonna need a bigger boat(le)

Chris

The book is IMHO loads better than the movie. It was the best Tom Wolfe book I have read. Always remember why real pilots use oxygen! ;)

Agreed. I always have a wee smirk when Captain Speaking comes on the PA with a Chuck Yeager drawl. Not so common now.

Chris

Since this topic is about the movie filmed in 1982 and shown first at cinemas in the following year 1983, I will post this now just found iconic photograph here. :oops::cool:
Source:

Attachments

• 200819-F-ZZ999-1003.jpeg
    200819-F-ZZ999-1003.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 44
Re the photo posted by Notre Dame:
Brig. Gen. (retired) Chuck Yeager poses for a photo with the cast of the film "The Right Stuff" at Edwards Air Force Base in 1982. Yeager played the bartender "Fred" during a cameo appearance in the film. (Photo courtesy of Air Force Test Center History Office)

I discover this excellent movie duet to it's mention on SPF.
Nice story, perfect actors and real feel of the 1950-1960s!

P.S. As a sidenote - Ed Harris (John Glenn in "Right Stuff) portraits another complex person in the movie "Pollock". Interesting story of famous painter.

I discover this excellent movie duet to it's mention on SPF.
Nice story, perfect actors and real feel of the 1950-1960s!

P.S. As a sidenote - Ed Harris (John Glenn in "Right Stuff) portraits another complex person in the movie "Pollock". Interesting story of famous painter.

Ed Harris got a whole bunch of interesting roles back in the day (the 1980's - 1990's - and beyond of course). He had a knack to be in big Hollywood movies - and also more interesting ones.

In passing: on the set of The Abyss, James Cameron tyranny and dickhead behaviour grant him one big shouting match with a very pissed off and tired Ed Harris.
Only for this factoid, I appreciate Ed Harris.

Last edited:

Ed Harris got a whole bunch of interesting roles back in the day (the 1980's - 1990's - and beyond of course). He had a knack to be in big Hollywood movies - and also more interesting ones.
In my humble opinion, "Right Stuff" is one of the few movies, where a group of main charachetrs represented equally well, by different actors. They all are unique personalities, and at same time - a tight company of colleagues/competitors as well. Of course, Chuck Yeager is the main protagonist of the whole movie, but he also was a important part of the first astronaut' squad - even without included in this "Lucky Seven".