Sukhoi Su-27 & 30/33/34/35: Famous Russian Aircraft

Received my copy yesterday and it is a very thick, and very complete, book. It looks to be superb from the initial scans I've done; detailed reading will take a while.

One question for others who have this book, does yours have a certain peculiarity on the spine of both the book and the dust jacket? If yours does, you'll know what I mean without further description as it appears to be an almost unbelieveable "Oops".

You mean where it says Tupolev instead of Sukhoi?

Yep, they all have that. Clearly the layout person reused an old file and failed to edit it correctly, and nobody picked it up in proofing. Apparently Crecy will send you a corrected dust jacket for free.

It's not just the dust jacket, it's on the spine of my copy, too. You have to wonder how that got through.

elmayerle said:
It's not just the dust jacket, it's on the spine of my copy, too. You have to wonder how that got through.

Yep, but Crecy aren't going to replace the spine for you.

The problem is, the book is printed in China, and publishers have got rid of skilled in-house art / layout people. Its not the worst mistake made recently - that'd be the book printed low resolution so all the images are blurry.

Oh, I agree that the spine wouldn't be replaced. I'm keeping the book as is for amusement's sake. Ah, that would be the second French Secret Projects book?

I understand that outsourcing is becoming a necessity as business gets more cutthroat, but is decent supplier quality control supervision too much to ask? If I'd done something equally stupid when I was working as an engineer, I would have definitely been heavily penalized, if not fired. You know, something like not getting units conversions correct (Mars Observer, anyone?) or some equally inane actions.

The problem is, the first time anyone sees the finished book is when 1000s have been printed in China and shipped. You can't print one copy as a preview.

I ended up with a small number of mistakes in my own book, despite my best efforts. Nothing as bad as this though :)

What Paul said; the book itself is superb and well worth buying. It's a hefty tome and crammed with information, some of which I had not really known. I can recommend the book highly, I'm just amused by the cover error.

Perhaps I will give the book another chance and buy it, I have the original 2007 original version after all.

Also, if you are interested in more details about the history of construction of Su-27 aircraft, there is a book that is
one among several books dedicated to the development of the SU-27. It covers the creation of the SU-27's first variant designated as T-10. For the first time, the book summarises a wealth of factual materials on the development and construction of the T-10 aircraft. It features greater accuracy in terms of facts, since it is based on documents, and it is special because it tells the story of the people who developed the aircraft.
roversync

You can visit https://www.ebay.com/itm/133530693051
It has more information, has detailed pictures and schemes:)

Also, if you are interested in more details about the history of construction of Su-27 aircraft, there is a book that is
one among several books dedicated to the development of the SU-27. It covers the creation of the SU-27's first variant designated as T-10. For the first time, the book summarises a wealth of factual materials on the development and construction of the T-10 aircraft. It features greater accuracy in terms of facts, since it is based on documents, and it is special because it tells the story of the people who developed the aircraft.

roversync

It looks worth it and I have the cash available, so I have ordered a copy.

roversync

Glad you are interested!

We've already sent your book, hope you will get it asap and enjoy your reading.

As someone who owns both books on the SU-27, the second edition is packed with new information about recent developments of the aircraft that makes the price worthwhile. Same goes for the book on the Mig-29.

roversync

Glad you are interested!

I just received it yesterday and have only skimmed it, but it looks well worth what I paid with lots of useful and interesting information. I can unreservedly highly recommend it

roversync

Glad you are interested!

I just received it yesterday and have only skimmed it, but it looks well worth what I paid with lots of useful and interesting information. I can unreservedly highly recommend it
I'd love to see a similarly detailed book on the F-15 or F-16...

roversync

Glad you are interested!

I'd love to see a similarly detailed book on the F-15 or F-16...
I'll try to look it up, maybe there is a decent and reputable book on these aircrafts. If I find one, I'll let you know

To all Flanker-fans ... any idea what specific item this small detail is?

1643817075867.png

@flateric ??

Last edited:
Out of curiosity i already have my copy ut is it still in print i admittedly got my copy on Amazon but now it's only available as used and for about 200.00 USD just wondering