Building Concorde - Tony Buttler - Crecy

ov-101

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Concorde remains one of the most iconic and most beautiful aeroplanes ever to take to the skies and as a result many aspects of its development and its operational career have been covered frequently both in books and magazine articles.

However, this book provides genuinely new perspectives on the Concorde programme as it explores how this great aeroplane came into being, concentrating both on the design and development aspects of the aircraft and on the political background to this exercise in Anglo-French collaboration.

Early chapters look at the various supersonic transport proposals mooted both in Britain and France before Concorde. The following sections examine areas relating to the practical difficulties of supersonic flight such as supersonic booms. The narrative then moves on to how the British and French work was merged into a single programme.

Later portions of the book describe the flight test programme leading up to service entry in 1976 and the text is complimented by an extensive range of photographs and drawings, a great many of which are previously unpublished.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
ISBN: 9781910809143
Binding: Hardback
Dimentions: 290mm x 216mm
Pages: 150
Photos/Illus: Over 350 Illustrations

Attachments

• 9781910809143.jpg
    9781910809143.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 661
Re: New Book-‘Building Concorde’ by Tony Buttler

Truly iconic aircraft for general aerospace enthusiasts and unbuilt projects fans in particular because of its long development covering many concepts and designs from British and French best enginering teams. A very wellcome book, no doubt!. *

Congratulations and thanks Mr Buttler.

Is the book already available?

(*) To me, however, the definitive book would be "SST the dream of supersonic airliner. 1st Gen: origins to Concorde, Tu-144 and B-2707, 2nd Gen in 80's to 90's and XXI Century mini SST"

pometablava said:
Truly iconic aircraft for general aerospace enthusiasts and unbuilt projects fans in particular because of its long development covering many concepts and designs from British and French best enginering teams. A very wellcome book, no doubt!. *

Congratulations and thanks Mr Buttler.

Is the book already available?

(*) To me, however, the definitive book would be "SST the dream of supersonic airliner. 1st Gen: origins to Concorde, Tu-144 and B-2707, 2nd Gen in 80's to 90's and XXI Century mini SST"

Seems like a must-buy to me. Amazon claims May 2018 but… who knows. Not out yet at any rate.

From Tony Buttler:

The book has now been delivered [to the publisher] and should be out sometime I would guess around June/July/August. JC Carbonel's contribution has been immense!

https://www.amazon.com/Building-Concorde-Tony-Buttler/dp/1910809144/ref=sr_1_305

bercr said:
https://www.amazon.com/Building-Concorde-Tony-Buttler/dp/1910809144/ref=sr_1_305

Already posted (see below). But unfortunately doesn't seem to be available yet.

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29814.msg321135.html#msg321135

merged

Seems to be already available. Still nobody reviewed or commented it.

Think I'm going to place the first order ;)

pometablava said:
Seems to be already available. Still nobody reviewed or commented it.

Think I'm going to place the first order ;)

Damn - been waiting so long for this - order placed!

Well, it arrived this morning and I have to say... WOW! This is basically:

Concorde - the British and French Secret Projects! (with some stuff about building Concorde tacked on)

Chapter 1 opens with the Miles SST (!), then goes onto the Armstrong Whitworth M-wing designs with original drawings, Avro's 735, Short's PD 22 and 29, Vickers Project X, Bristol's various Type 198s including VTOL version, de Havilland's DH 130, English Electric's P 30, Handley Page HP.128, Vickers-Supermarine Type 586/587 and Hawker Siddeley Type 1000, Type 1011, Type 1023 - ending with the Bristol Type 223.

Then Chapter 3 has all the French equivalents - lots of original Super Caravelles with canards from Sud, Dassault's version, Nord's MCS.2, a twin-tail Nord Mach 3 proposal, the military Super Caravelle etc.

Chapter 4 has some great (and previously unknown to me) American stuff including the Convair 58-9, Douglas Model 2229, an unknown Lockheed SST, North American M-3000 etc.

The second half of the book is the usual stuff about actually building Concorde. But the first half... pure secret projects gold!

Highly recommended!

EDIT: Shame about the cover though. Talk about underselling it!

Book received. First impression: gorgeous! Lots of nice, clear, big images for our enjoyment. A comprehensive coverage of the program with lots of unbuilt designs.

Great thanks to the authors

So the content of the book is really more like "Designing and Building Concorde"? About what percentage of the book is devoted to each?

Contents

Attachments

• Building Concorde - contents.jpg
    Building Concorde - contents.jpg
    875.4 KB · Views: 297
newsdeskdan said:
Then Chapter 3 has all the French equivalents - lots of original Super Caravelles with canards from Sud, Dassault's version, Nord's MCS.2, a twin-tail Nord Mach 3 proposal, the military Super Caravelle etc.

Hello Dan,

is the military Super Caravelle the same as shown in https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27908.msg311508.html#msg311508 ?

Martin

martinbayer said:
newsdeskdan said:

Hello Dan,

is the military Super Caravelle the same as shown in https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27908.msg311508.html#msg311508 ?

Martin

No - looks quite similar but the tail fin and various small details are different.

Just received my copy from Specialty Press and I agree and concur with all the laudatory comments above. I was especially intrigued by Dassault's entry which, to my eye, certainly resembles a scaled-up NAA Navaho missile.

Dear Tony and JC (as well as George Cox)

Bought myself this book in Foyles this morning and it brightened up a long bus ride back to Oxford. Lots of excellent information and drawings, and the lovely models from the Cox Collection make this a must have.

All the best for 2019 and your future projects

I received a copy for Christmas from my sister; as far as I can tell, the Concorde (in its original form) is nearly all Super Caravelle and very little BAC 223......

Terry (Caravellarella)

I really love the book and I ask myself: are there any plans for an American SST Story book?

I just finished reading this, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

So the content of the book is really more like "Designing and Building Concorde"? About what percentage of the book is devoted to each?

chapter 1-4: initial proposals by British and French firms, plus a chapter on the American plans

chapter 5: setting up the BAC-Sud cooperation

chapter 6: research

chapter 7: noise investigations (test flights)

chapter 8: support aircraft

chapter 9: test flights using the prototypes and preproduction aircraft

chapter 10: orders, cancelled orders and passenger service

It's mostly about the research, design and development process, production is talked about in chapters 5-6.

as far as I can tell, the Concorde (in its original form) is nearly all Super Caravelle and very little BAC 223

Funny, I got the impression that esp the aerodynamics owed a lot to BAC research (they were the first to come up with the no-canards option by shaping the wing just so and introducing the fuel transfer system).

pometablava said:
I really love the book and I ask myself: are there any plans for an American SST Story book?

If they did I'd hope it included some of the whacky early ideas like B-58 derivations (including flying people in the pod), XB-70 variants, etc. I'd buy it for sure.

sferrin said:
If they did I'd hope it included some of the whacky early ideas like B-58 derivations (including flying people in the pod), XB-70 variants, etc. I'd buy it for sure.

This book will take care of one of those requests: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=11340

PLANTING the SUPERSONIC SEED - PRE CONCORDE PROJECTS: PART 1
In the first half of a two-part feature, the British magazine "Aeroplane Monthly", issue August 2019, examines the British designs, that contributed to the Concorde effort.
This article ist adapted from the book Building Concorde: From Drawing Board to Mach 2, written by Tony Buttler and Jean Christophe Carbonel, and published by Crécy. Next month the magazine will continue the pre-Concorde story with a study of the French SST concepts.
Link: https://aeroplanemonthly.keypublishing.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=7787

Attachments

• 20190711_Tony_Buttler_Planting_the_supersonic_seed_Magazine_Part_1_Aeroplane_Monthly_August_2019.jpg
    20190711_Tony_Buttler_Planting_the_supersonic_seed_Magazine_Part_1_Aeroplane_Monthly_August_2019.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
PLANTING the SUPERSONIC SEED - PRE CONCORDE PROJECTS: PART 1
In the first half of a two-part feature, the British magazine "Aeroplane Monthly", issue August 2019, examines the British designs, that contributed to the Concorde effort.
This article ist adapted from the book Building Concorde: From Drawing Board to Mach 2, written by Tony Buttler and Jean Christophe Carbonel, and published by Crécy. Next month the magazine will continue the pre-Concorde story with a study of the French SST concepts.
Link: https://aeroplanemonthly.keypublishing.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=7787
PLANTING the SUPERSONIC SEED - PRE CONCORDE PROJECTS: PART 2
Concluding our two-part feature, the French concepts that led to Concorde, including one with nuclear power
As written before, the words for this article are from Jean Christophe Carbonel.
Link: https://aeroplanemonthly.keypublishing.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=7798

Attachments

• 20190816_Jean-Christophe_Carabonel_Planting_the_supersonic_seed_Magazine_Part_2_Aeroplane_Mont...jpg
    20190816_Jean-Christophe_Carabonel_Planting_the_supersonic_seed_Magazine_Part_2_Aeroplane_Mont...jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 56