Andrei_bt

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Future Soviet tank project “Object 490 Poplar” was under development by Eugenie Morozov's team from the end of 70-th up to the end of 80-s.
The main features of the “Object 490” were:

- crew consisting of two people - commander-gunner and driver. Reduce the crew to two people and place them in a compact, well-protected capsule. Depending on the specific layout, this gives a volume saving of up to 1.2 m3.

- the use of hydro pneumatic suspension. In addition to solving the main problem - increasing average speeds by improving running smoothness, it allows to control the clearance of the tank, which increases maneuverability and survivability in battle. In addition, controlled hydro pneumatic suspension by changing the hull angle allows to increase the pointing angles of the gun in the vertical plane.

- Creation of a special armored refueling and reloading vehicle capable of accompanying the tank in the same formation, overcoming hard natural and artificial obstacles, passing through nuclear contaminated areas of the terrain, and operating under conditions of use of nuclear weapons. In layout no. 1 and 2, it was supposed to implement the replenishment of ammunition and refueling the tank without leaving the crews of the tank and refueling-loading machine.

01.jpg

1405855_800.jpg

09.jpg

1405228_800.jpg

http://btvt.info/7english/490_eng.htm

The articulated/detacheable logistics vehicle is a pretty neat idea...

...I'm curious how much range and autonomy of formations could be increased by such a design.

Avimimus said:

There was something similar proposed for the M1, I believe. AFARV wasn't quite that automated but had a similar goal of allowing tanks to rearm and refuel while the crews stayed under armour.

TomS said:
Avimimus said:

There was something similar proposed for the M1, I believe. AFARV wasn't quite that automated but had a similar goal of allowing tanks to rearm and refuel while the crews stayed under armour.

I thought FARV-A was supposed to be for the Crusader?

Or was it both?

EDIT: Maybe FARV-A is different from AFARV, forgot to consider that.

GWrecks said:
TomS said:
Avimimus said:

I thought FARV-A was supposed to be for the Crusader?

Or was it both?

EDIT: Maybe FARV-A is different from AFARV, forgot to consider that.

Yeah, AFARV is Armored Forward Area Resupply Vehicle, based on the same Bradley chassis as FARV-A but designed to carry ammunition for tanks and IFVs. It had a pair of conveyors that would pass tank main gun rounds from the AFARV to tanks parked alongside, loading them one at a time via the loader's hatch. But it could also carry TOWs, 25mm ammo and even small arms ammo for infantry. I thought it also carried fuel, but the only descriptions I can find don't mention that.

Very interesting and thanks for sharing Andrei_bt

I guess the issue with wanting to reduce crew numbers/size always seems to have merit, but how does a crew of two seriously conduct the maintance an operational MBT, let alone function on the 24/7 battlefield?

Regards
Pioneer

What is required is that off-vehicle maintenance crew is required to make up the lack of numbers in the vehicle crews. They travel on separate APCs and laarger with tanks in the evening for overnight stops.

Very interesting and thanks for sharing Andrei_bt

I guess the issue with wanting to reduce crew numbers/size always seems to have merit, but how does a crew of two seriously conduct the maintance an operational MBT, let alone function on the 24/7 battlefield?

Regards
Pioneer

I agree with you on this subject, having crewed tanks myself, the preferred method of operation may be to meet up with support staff at the end of an engagement or exercise period but no plan survives first contact. Crew fatigue will be a large part of any improvement or degradation in efficiency and even the basic's like radio watch and guarding a small unit laeger will impact morale and efficiency.

Last edited: