North American Aviation Bald Eagles Retiree Bulletin

All of the above links are 404/dead. The source site still exists, but without the newsletters: https://www.aerospacelegacyfoundation.com/

If anyone happened to save any of the newsletters, I am looking for this one with the Redhead/Roadrunner article:

2013-3_Fall
ROCKETDYNE FACILITY OVERVIEW by Cleve Kimmel
DEVELOPMENT OF THE REDHEAD/ROADRUNNER by Erwin Ulbrich, Jr.
APOLLO 14 – A CASE OF TRUE GRIT by Larry Korb
NAA MEMORIAL BENCH DEDICATION by Billie McComas Bower

Thanks,

Richard

Here you go.

DEVELOPMENT OF THE REDHEAD/ROADRUNNER by Erwin Ulbrich, Jr.

During World War II, the introduction of radar and solid rockets allowed the development of the fi rst generation of antiaircraft missiles. Typical of these were the Nike missiles positioned around Los Angeles at the end of the War.

In the 1950s, a new generation of jet fighters and bombers were developed, and it was obvious that a better anti-aircraft missile was then required and a typical one in the U.S. was the MIM-23 Hawk missile. It was to engage, both subsonic to supersonic threats, from ground level to 65,000 feet altitude. Missile crews for the Hawk were trained at Ft. Bliss in El Paso, Texas, at the McGregor Range, and at nearby White Sands Missile Range (WSMR) in New Mexico which could be used for fl ight testing missiles. Collectively, the three bases provided a very large expansion for the live fire of rockets and missiles for the U.S. Army.

The Columbus Division of North American Aviation (NAA) won a contract in 1959 to build a target drone for the Hawk missile crews that had to be economical and reusable. When it was operating near the ground, it was to be capable of flight 300 feet above the ground at 0.9 Mach and it was then called the Roadrunner. When it operating in the stratosphere, it was capable of flight at Mach 2+ up to 65,000 feet altitude and it was then called the Redhead. Both versions were to have the same analog flight control system with a switch for setting various gains and constants. Requirement The missile was mounted on a Little John launcher with the booster rocket developed from the artillery rocket’s booster. It was capable of a “Zero” launch where it had to become operational directly from the launch.

There were only two aerodynamic surfaces; elevons controlling both pitch and roll and indirectly yaw. They had no authority at rest and one to two seconds after the booster was fired, the airspeed was sufficient for them to start controlling. That meant that for those two seconds, the booster thrust had to be closely aligned to the center of gravity (CG) of the missile/booster because the booster generated 5,000 pounds of thrust and the missile only weighed 880 pounds. If there was a misalignment, there would be a very large rotational torque in pitch or roll or both which could not be controlled.

After the two seconds, the flight control would start to balance the two elements. At about four seconds, the amount of air and fuel going through the ramjet would ignite, providing thrust. At about fi ve seconds, the booster would burn out and aerodynamic drag would strip it off the missile. The CG will then move and the elevons, using full authority, would rebalance the forces. Normally, a vertical transient of about 5 g was encountered.

Design

The missile can be seen to have a radome on both ends. Inside each is a Luneberg Lens which provides a strong radar return to the missile battery radar. In the forward radome is a pitot system which provides barometric static pressure and total pressure and also launch point static pressure. This system was designed by Rosemount and featured a compensated static port on the boom not the fuselage as in most aircraft. The aft radome would be blown off the missile, releasing a braking rocket and a parachute for recovery when desired or when 7 Fall 2013 the ramjet fuel was gone.

Behind the radome in the front was the avionics bay which held the autopilot and the command radio receiver, the vertical gyro and the rate gyros. A short whip antenna protruded out the top of the bay, and it picked up the guidance commands which came from a transmitter in the Command and Control Center where the missile pilot was located. In front of the rear radome was a bay containing the missile battery and the accumulator/pump/actuator package. It could be set for various gains and damping in the auto pilot.

The two bays were connected by a wiring tunnel. This is the black strip shown in the picture above which was taken about two seconds after launch. The black smoke is from the booster. The white smoke is from an igniter in the engine that has not yet started the engine fuel burning. The elevons are about to pitch the missile up. On the pitot boom is an angle of attack sensor which was only used for fl ght test telemetry.

When the engine ignited and the booster was gone, the missile flew more or less at a small pitch angle. It can be seen that the missile was statically unstable, that is, there was more mass (the engine) above than below. This meant that the flight control system had to function for it to fly or it would turn over.

During flight test, it was determined that the missile made outside turns unlike a conventional airplane. This did not affect its use as a target but it would be uncomfortable for a passenger. The vertical gyro design was borrowed from the V-1 missile although it was made by the Iron Fireman Company in the U.S. It was air-erected and it had stops on its motion. If it hit a stop during its operation, the gyro would tumble and it would crash the missile. This was used by Spitfire pilots during the war to crash the V-1s. It did not affect the missile’s use as a target.

The autopilot controlled the missile in pitch, roll, and altitude. The missile speed was set by the engine fuel controls which were in the engine pylon. The engine at rest looked like a titanium garbage can and it is hard to imagine it operating like a supersonic blowtorch. It did supply significant sonic vibration to the missile in flight. The ramjet was supplied by Marquardt in Pomona and was designated as MA-74.

At the Command and Control Center, the missile was tracked by a radar receiver which produced the ground track of the missile in flight. Hooked up to this was a 3D model of the terrain which could produce a differential altitude signal for the range above or below the launch point. This could be sent to the missile to profile its flight over the terrain. The autopilot could also be set for hold pitch or hold altitude or both remotely from the Command and Control Center. There was a very tight specification for this profiling of 300 feet altitude plus or minus 60 feet.

A particular piece of terrain known as Hummingbird Gap between two mountains was given as an early fl ight test objective. It would be impressive to see the missile come roaring out of this gap. All systems on the missile were analog in nature. The 28 volt battery voltage was regulated down to 24 volts DC using a constant voltage circuit. The four operational amplifi ers in the autopilot were driven by double-ended 24 volts AC from a 400 Hz inverter. Their functions included: the Starboard Elevon Valve Driver, the Port Elevon Valve Driver, the Pitch Summing Amplifier and the Roll Summing Amplifier. Shown is the breadboard for the autopilot. Individual transistors, which were invented about five years earlier, were used throughout. The actual autopilot was developed a few months later. This was entirely a Columbus Division product. Two principal criteria were low cost and sturdiness because of the engine vibration. These were met using a deep drawn aluminum box that cost $12. It was modified with beryllium coated spring clips to hold the four operational amplifiers. This box and contents were thoroughly tested over a wide frequency range in all axes. All internal electrical joints were hard-wired. Life testing was not extensive as the total life of the autopilot was thought to be a few hours. There were only two connectors on the autopilot; one for the flight control system and one for test which was also used in flight for connection to the radio for Command and Control. The system required a system tester and this was also a Columbus Division product where the first article was designed and produced in three days. A careful inspection will show that the toggle switches are upside down. I took a lot of ribbing over that.

The autopilot also contained a pitch programmer which provided a climb out signal for the missile when it was fired. This was a durable spring wound timer which was built by a vendor in Riverside, Illinois. When I went to inspect their factory, I was surprised to see that the employees worked in the dark over a bowling alley. The management told me that they were specially trained people who were hearing and vision impaired. The timers always worked fine. A hallmark of this effort was the use of an analog simulation of the missile flight including as much hardware as possible. One instance was the actuators. As soon as the actuators were done, they were integrated into a simulation rig. Another was the vertical gyro which fl ew in a large three axis Carco table. At the end of the design effort, every autopilot that was made was flown on the analog simulation to assure records of what flight test should be like and then it was put in a sealed box (by Quality Control) and taken from Columbus to El Paso in a shipping container which was painted day-glow red so that the courier could keep track of it in baggage handling.

Flight Test Fight test at WSMR started before any hardware was ready and consisted of using the booster which was manufactured by Rocketdyne in Texas to loft wooden poles which had similar inertial characteristics to what the missile would have. At the end of three firings, very little data was acquired and all of the poles crashed into the ground. It did show the important role that the flight control system would play during launch. Both engineering and flight test did the testing and since there was no place for civilians to stay at WSMR, the Columbus staff stayed in El Paso, and early each day drove 90 miles on a private road at 90 mph with the headlights on to WSMR. This was reversed in the evening. Several cars were worn out during this test program. When the first sets of hardware were ready, it was time for the actual missile flights. The first three of these were a repeat of the earlier tests and at the end of three flights there were only about 10 seconds of data.

The crashes were powerful and devastating. The Customer and NAA Management realized that something drastic had to be done. The obvious problem was booster misalignment and the solution was given to both Flight Test and to Engineering. I was given the job of “Keeper of the CG” and working with the Weights Group, we came up with our best estimate of the CG location. This work was hindered by WSMR safety regulations which required that the missile without fuel and the booster be measured separately and then the fuel weight had to be added analytically to the measured date to provide an estimate. The big question was how many air pockets were in the fuel tank behind anti-slosh baffles, etc. We at least could control the amount of fuel put in. These safety provisions were reasonable if we should ever drop the missile and it went off. The other group was the Flight Test engineers and they made the most important invention to help solve the problem. They built a conical gage that fit into the booster nozzle with a long rod aligned with the thrust vector. They then used land surveyor’s tools from a distance to adjust the interface between the missile and the booster to align the thrust vector with our calculated CG. As it came out, the missile symmetry put the CG more or less on a vertical plane in the center of the missile. The nozzle could be adjusted to be in this plane also. That still left two dimensions to be accounted for. When everything was done, there was a successful flight.

When a turn was initiated we discovered the missile’s tendencies to make outside turns. I did not witness this since there were only a few people allowed in the Command and Control Center during flights. The telemetry was clear however. This required a rework of the equations in the flight simulation so that they agreed and from then on there was a close correlation between the two. The simulation of the first 5 seconds of flight was accurate from the start which helped a lot. We also could use the simulation then to find the limits of CG location that we could live with. These limits were in the small fractions of an inch as I remember and different for lateral and longitudinal errors. Missile Flight Program When the engineering was done, I was given other assignments associated with lunar landing simulation which became important at Columbus since we were some years ahead in that area.

The missile, after about a year of testing, went to McGregor Air Force Base for actual training use. In June of 1963, it was designated as the MQM-42, Redhead/Roadrunner. It was used for about 15 years into the 1970s. The missile, on paper, had a 250 mile range which seemed to be a lot but at Mach 2, it was only about a 10 minute flight. At Mach 0.9, it is longer but the friction is greater at low altitude. This meant that you would get only one engagement per launch. In use, the actual altitude ceiling was given as 59,000 feet. There were other drone competitors but none could beat the low cost of the ramjet versus a jet engine or a rocket engine. Subsequently, many other missiles used ramjets. I never got any data on how much reuse the missile could provide. It was obviously a problem to parachute it into a rock pile with the wind blowing, but other than that, many of the interchangeable parts would be durable enough for rework and reuse. I never got to see the missile fly. In retrospect, this was one of the most fun jobs I ever had. Almost every day, you could go out and at least on the computer, you could shoot rockets.

About the Author: Erwin Ulbrich is a retired flight control engineer who worked for seven aircraft companies during a 45-year career, culminating in the design of the B-2A avionics system involving the integration of over 200 computers. In the 1990s, he taught at UCLA Extension on the integration of all of the modern avionic safety systems into the cockpit to help provide the great increase in aircraft safety that we now experience. He and his charming wife, Myrna, have lived in Whittier, California for 50 years where he changed the thrust vector to his employers but not his residence.

Attachments

• 2013-3_Fall2.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Paul,

Thanks very much for posting the newsletter. It has the most in depth description of the Redhead/Roadrunner I've seen. It reads very well because it was written by one of the program's participants rather than a historian scratching for surviving documents. Is there any chance you could post the rest of the newsletters since the original source is gone and there are some incredible treasures there:

A HISTORY OF THE X-15 by Bill Dana
THE NAVAHO PROJECT – A LOOK BACK by James Gibson
UNLEASHING THE SAVAGE by Ed Rusinek
BIRTH OF THE HOUND DOG by Ellis Katz
THE PROPOSED NAA DELTA WING X-15A-3 by Dave Stern
THE SPACE SHUTTLE CHALLENGE AND LEGACY: AN ENGINEER’S VIEW by Larry Korb
CONCEPTION AND DEVELOPMENT OF THE P-51 MUSTANG by Edgar Schmued
REMEMBERING MY GRANDPA, DUTCH KINDELBERGER by James Graham
“GABBY” GABRESKI SERVING IN KOREA by Larry Davis
RACING THE MUSTANG by Robert “Hoot” Gibson
THE NORTH AMERICAN AVIATION B-45 TORNADO by Erik Simonsen

I grabbed that one from the Wayback Machine, but others I try aren't saved. I thought I had saved them, but I can't find them.

Thanks for trying. It does say on the current site that they will eventually restore the archives and images of the past site.

I found the bulletines online some months ago, but I forgot in which website, sorry... but I found an alternative solution: a little bit "heavy" as a file (1.4 GB), but it contains all the NAA bulletins from Summer 2001 to Winter 2016. I did not check all the 1256 pages, so I am not sure if everything is present. I just can say that the first pages are repeted at the end of the file (maybe a merging mistake). Enjoy!

https://archive.org/details/NAABulletinsMerged/page/n1215/mode/2up

Temistocle,

Excellent sleuthing! I quickly found several of the items I was looking for and then discovered new interesting stuff right next to each article I read. There are stories about the Apollo 1 fire, an NAA B-25 manufacturer's rep who spent WW2 in the Pacific showing the users how to maintain and modify their aircraft, the story of how Edgar Schmued came to work for NAA written by his son, the loss of shuttle Columbia, and on and on. Many great stories by the people who were there.

There is a search function on the site, but it didn't work for me. I wound up using the index in post #1 and scrolling through the site to the appropriate issue.

Richard

Winter 2000

VIEW A SHUTTLE LAUNCH (STS-92/DISCOVERY)
by Ed Rusinek
A SON REMEMBERS HIS FATHER, EDGAR SCHMUED by Rolf Schmued

Attachments

• 2000-04.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Spring 2001

NAVAHO, A BLUNDER OR A LEGACY
, by James Gibson
DUTCH KINDELBERGER’S DREAM TEAM 1938 Centerfold picture

Attachments

• 2001-01.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Summer 2001

THE NORTH AMERICAN AVIATION B-25H PROJECT NA-98X
EXCERPTS FROM THE SPEECH “THE ACORN DAYS”
THE HUN ALSO RISES
THE VALKYRIE AIMS HIGH

Attachments

• 2001-02.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Fall 2001

TO MACH 2 OR NOT TO MOCK 2
by John Moore
HOW THE BEST WAS WON by Bastian ( Buz) Hello
FROM AIRPLANES TO AIR BREATHERS by Dale Myers
NOTHING BUT THE FACTS, PLEASE by Sam Iacobellis
DUTCH KINDELBERGER’S MIRACLE MAKERS in Centerfold

Attachments

• 2001-03.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Winter 2001

THE TULSA DIVISION MEANS BUSINESS
by Gene Ricketts
THE JOINT ZERO LAUNCH AND WHEELS UP PROGRAM by John Moore
F-86F GUN EVALUATION IN KOREA by John Henderson
THE FASTEST FLIGHT OF THEM ALL by Raymond Puffer

Attachments

• 2001-04.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Spring 2002

HAVING THE BEST JOBS IN THE COMPANY
by Al Martin
A NEW SPECIES OF WARBIRD by Raymond Puffer
THE LEGACIES LEFT BY NORTH AMERICAN AVIATION by John Moore
NORTH AMERICAN AVIATION IN EUROPE - THE COLD WAR by Bob Clark

Attachments

• 2002-01.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Summer 2002

THE LEGACIES LEFT BY NORTH AMERICAN AVIATION PART ll
by John Moore
THE SEA TRIALS OF THE P-51 D MUSTANG "SEAHORSE" by Ed Rusinek

Attachments

• 2002-02.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Fall 2002

RESTORING THE FIRST F-107A
by William Simone
NAA TRAINERS - WINNING THE COMPETITIONS! by Frank Compton
THE WORLD'S LARGEST BIPLANE by Raymond Puffer

Attachments

• 2002-03.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Winter 2002

A DOCENT AT THE SMITHSONIAN
by Tom Mackin
A LETTER FROM OUTER SPACE by Astronaut Peggy Whitson
BUILDING THE X-15, LEAPING AHEAD IN SPACE by Ed Rusinek

Attachments

• 2002-04.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Spring 2003

NATIV - NAA ENTRANCE INTO THE SPACE AGE
by Jeff Schmidt
HAVING THE BEST JOBS IN THE COMPANY - PART II by Albert (Al) Martin
A STENO IN THE OLD LAD STRESS GROUP by Jeanette Orgill
THE NAA F-86C/YF-93 PENETRATION FIGHTER by Larry Davis
THE F-108 RAPIER -A TRIPLE-SONIC INTERCEPTOR by Erik Simonsen

Attachments

• 2003-01.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Summer 2003

FROM APOLLO TO AIRPLANES, PART ll
by Dale Myers
THE LAST FLIGHT OF THE SECOND F-107A by William Simone
NAA IN EUROPE - THE COLD WAR YEARS, PART II by Robert Clark
THE XFV-12A- A SUPERSONIC V/STOL by Erik Simonsen

Attachments

• 2003-02.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Fall 2003

A GHOST FROM THE DISTANT PAST
by Lowell Ford and Morgan "Mac" Blair
A MUSTANG GOES FARTHER WITH A LITTLE POLISH - a Vignette
JACQUELINE COCHRAN - THE FASTEST LADY by Dr. Raymond Puffer
KEEPING THE HUN IN THE SUN by Tom Mackin
F-100 SUPER SABRE -THE VERSATILE "HUN" by Erik Simonsen

Attachments

• 2003-03.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Winter 2003

THE SAGA OF RB-25D "3374"
by Norm Avery
APOLLO 13 - THE REST OF THE STORY by Thomas Barrera
NAA TECHS IN WAR AND PEACE by John Casey
HIGH SCHOOL JUNIOR RECEIVES COVETED "SNOOPY" by Don Thompson

Attachments

• 2003-04.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Spring 2004

THE FIFTIES, A DECADE OF THE SUPERSONICS
by Al Blackburn
AN AIR FORCE PILOT REMEMBERS THE F-100 "HUN" by Gerald Larsen, USAF (Ret)
A MEMORABLE MISSION OVER KOREA by William "Bill" Yoakley
NORTH AMERICAN TEST PILOTS—W. R. "BILL" YOAKLEY by Chandler "Chan" King
WHERE HAVE ALL OUR HEROES GONE? by Ed Rusinek

Attachments

• 2004-01.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Summer 2004

"DR. RANDALS, I AM AN ENGINEER"
by Barbara "Bobbie" Johnson
THE SATURN S-ll CHRONICLES by William "Bill" Dean and Friends
IN SPACE WITH ONLY A PARACHUTE by Ed Rusinek
BALD EAGLES 42 nd ANNUAL REUNION by Lee French

Attachments

• 2004-02.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Fall 2004

MERCY MISSION TO WARSAW
by Al White
IT WAS AN EXTRAORDINARY SHARP AND CLEAR DAY by James L. Brooks
AMERICAN AIRMEN MEMORIAL IN POLAND by Ed Rusinek
THE APOLLO EARTH LANDING SYSTEM by Charles H. Lowry

Attachments

• 2004-03.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Winter 2004

FROM AMERICAN AIRMAN TO POLISH INFANTRYMAN
by Alfred R. Lea
CRASH LANDING AN F-86D, AN UNFORGETABLE EXPERIENCE by Ben M. Boykin
THE B-1'S PROUD LEGACY AND PROUD FUTURE by Scott L. White

Attachments

• 2004-04.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Spring 2005

UNLEASHING THE FURY
by Erik Simonsen
THE LAST FURY FLYING by Richard Sugden, M.D.
THE OV-10 "BRONCO" - A TOUGH WORKHORSE by Emerson Smith
ED GILLESPIE, THE ENERGIZER TEST PILOT by Jim "Stoof Driver" Shaw
APOLLO REVISITED by Chuck McKim and Jay White

Attachments

• 2005-01.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 9
Summer 2005

P-38 RESCUE IN ROMANIA
by Richard Willsie and Richard Andrews
THAT DAY OVER THE YALU by James Brooks
BALD EAGLES 43rd ANNUAL REUNION by Lee French

Attachments