ID spacecraft wind tunnel model

Retrofit

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I took this spacecraft model's photo at Speyer Technik Museum but there was no information concerning the model and its history/program.
Who can help?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20180715_134701194.jpg
    IMG_20180715_134701194.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 257
I believe it's one of the configurations considered by the German "Arbeitsgemeinschaft Rückkehrtechnologie" (ART, Reentry Technology Working Group) in the early Seventies - if memory serves, it's the 24B model (the twin fins being the main discriminator from the 24A version, if my recollection is correct).

Martin

Found a reference with illustration - both configurations are shown in figure 27 on page 331 of "Future Aeronautical and Space Systems" by Ahmed K. Noor and Samuel L. Venneri, AIAA 1997, print ISBN 978-1-56347-188-9, see the attached picture.

Martin

Attachments

• ART.jpg
    ART.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 174
My best (and potentially completely erroneous) guesses for the various abbreviations of features of the wind tunnel models:

R1: Rumpf 1 (fuselage [configuation] 1)

F1: Flügel 1 (wing [configuration] 1, although that could at best refer to only the planform of the inner half of the wing without flaps and fins, and even then the dihedral doesn't match)

VL: V-Leitwerk (V empennage)

BK: Bug-Klappe (bow flap)

RK: Rumpf-Klappe (body flap)

Martin

Thank you Martin,

I was searching on Flyinggloba/Archivesl for "ART" program but found only the two following details:

Attachments

• ART.JPG
    ART.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Bumerand & Orbiter.JPG
    Bumerand & Orbiter.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 102
Hello Retrofit,

I hadn't heard of the Allgemeine Rückkehr Technologie effort before - it's possible that it is a downscaled follow-on to the Arbeitsgemeinschaft Rückkehrtechnologie, which started in 1971 and included universities and the Deutsche Forschungs- und Versuchsanstalt für Luft- und Raumfahrt (DFVLR) aerospace research organization in addition to industry, but perhaps it's just a misinterpretation of the original program. A thread on the Bumerang effort is at https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2890.0/all.html.

Martin