Chambers Flying Folly - USN First Approved Flying Boat

Dynoman

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the W. I. Chambers 'Flying Folly' of 1913. This is the first and only flight of the aircraft (and only picture that I am familiar with), which was piloted by USMC aviator, Bernard L. Smith (second certificated USMC aviator), who helped to design and build the aircraft along with USN Captain W. I. Chambers. It was the first flying boat approved by the Navy, but was soon superseded by other designs. If any one has additional information on specifications, development information, or anecdotes, I would certainly enjoy seeing them. (Note: Before we get too far I just wanted to say, yes there were other USN land based aircraft before the Folly and Ely flew a Curtiss from the Birmingham before the Folly flew, but as far as I know this was the first flying boat (not seaplane, i.e. converted land-based aircraft with pontoons) accepted by the Navy.

Attachments

• Chambers Folly 1913.jpg
    Chambers Folly 1913.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 170
A great history of early naval aviation can be found in the biography of Washington Irving Chambers at:
https://epdf.tips/from-torpedoes-to-aviation-washington-irving-chambers-amp-technological-innovati.html

Talks about early aircraft plans for the Navy and the struggle to develop aircraft for naval operations (also mentions Chambers amphibious OWL (Over-Water and Land aircraft) and some early Curtiss and Wright designs for the Navy.

Amazing find my dear Dynoman,

and it is not mentioned in Aerofiles site;

http://www.aerofiles.com/_ca.html

Found additional photos from the Bernard L Smith Collection of the Navy's first seaplane acquisition.

Attachments

• Folly BL Smith Collection 1913.jpg
    Folly BL Smith Collection 1913.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Folly in flight2 1913.jpg
    Folly in flight2 1913.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • Folly in flight 1913.jpg
    Folly in flight 1913.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Chambers Taxing Folly.jpg
    Chambers Taxing Folly.jpg