Recommendations for books on naval systems wanted!

nova10

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Greetings and salutations,

I'm looking to buy a one size fits all book on naval systems. Foe example, radar, fire control, ecm, sonar. Does Friedman's The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapons Systems fit the bill? Or perhaps his Naval Institute Guide to Combat Fleets of the World? Or a Jane's Guide?

Your opinions and reviews are greatly appreciated!

Have a better one

Friedman's was the only one-book reference like that. Combat Fleets (not Friedman, BTW) didn't have much on the weapons or sensors. Jane's does a Naval Weapons reference but it's over $1200.

Friedman's last edition is over a decade old now. AFAIK, there are no recent equivalents aside from the insanely expensive Janes. The web pretty much killed the more affordable books.

Pasoleati said:
Why didn't it kill Jane's?

Government clients. Mostly as an online service, which has the advantage of being updated with some regularity. I honestly thought the print version was dead -- I haven't seen one in years.

Thanks for the input guys. Unfortunately the internet doesn't always have the eye watering detail like radar ranges, capabilities or why one system replaced the other.

C4ISR and Mission Systems, Maritime volume: https://shop.janes.com/C4ISR-Mission-Systems/C4ISR-Mission-Systems-Maritime-Yearbook-17-18/

Print isn't dead!