Register here

Author Topic: US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)  (Read 8814 times)

Offline bobbymike

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: US hypersonic weapons projects. (General)
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2019, 08:30:08 pm »
From Inside Defense

DOD seeks new satellite network for long-range, hypersonic strike targeting

The Pentagon is asking industry for ideas on a new satellite constellation optimized to identify fleeting, high-priority targets for attack by conventionally armed hypersonic glide vehicles, a solicitation that marks a development in the U.S. military's effort to field a new class of ultra-fast weapons and advances the Trump administration's goal to develop a "left of launch" missile defense capability.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline Grey Havoc

• The path not taken.
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 03:55:10 am »
Tom Clancy's Gapsfree system in other words?

EDIT: DARPA's Blackjack program is likely related to this.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 03:57:54 am by Grey Havoc »
The sole imperative of a government, once instituted, is to survive.

Offline bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2019, 10:15:10 am »
Via Stephen Trimble @TheDEWline

Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2019, 12:00:45 pm »
Not a new image.

From Jolly's 2017 NDIA Fuze presentation page 12.

Offline edwest

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2019, 07:05:43 pm »
The V-2 rocket was hypersonic. What about the old MAneuverable Reentry Vehicles? For the US, this sort of thing goes back to the 1950s.

http://www.astronautix.com/b/brassbell.html

Offline marauder2048

« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2019, 08:22:01 pm »
The V-2 rocket was hypersonic. What about the old MAneuverable Reentry Vehicles? For the US, this sort of thing goes back to the 1950s.

AFAIK, the only thing the US deployed was MaRVs all of which had a predominantly ballistic trajectory.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2019, 04:39:22 am »
Raytheon Wins $63.3 Million DARPA Contract for Hypersonic Weapons Work

"TUCSON, Ariz. --- Raytheon Company won a $63.3 million DARPA contract to further develop the Tactical Boost Glide hypersonic weapons program. The joint DARPA and U.S. Air Force effort includes a critical design review, a key step in fielding the technology. "

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articles-view/release/3/200564/raytheon-wins-%2463m-darpa-contract-for-hypersonic-weapons-work.html

"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline antigravite

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2019, 09:33:27 am »

AFAIK, the only thing the US deployed was MaRVs all of which had a predominantly ballistic trajectory.

hmmm... hmmm… How about the "HAVE NOT" program? Late '80s or early '90s. (And somehow associated with Martin Marietta if my memory's correct… but this needs to be verified.)

A.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 09:35:25 am by antigravite »
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
L e t   b o l d s   b e   l i g h t
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Offline sferrin

« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2019, 10:22:37 am »

hmmm... hmmm… How about the "HAVE NOT" program? Late '80s or early '90s. (And somehow associated with Martin Marietta if my memory's correct… but this needs to be verified.)

A.

IIRC there were no MaRVs ever deployed by the US aside from the Pershing II RV. 

Offline marauder2048

« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2019, 12:12:32 pm »
I hadn't actually seen these images of (what is purportedly) AMARV before...

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6343119

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2019, 03:38:06 pm »
DOD pulls Raytheon back into competition against Lockheed for tactical hypersonic weapon

On Feb. 25, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency awarded Raytheon Missile Systems a $63.3 million contract for a second phase of the Tactical Boost Glide program, a follow-on award to work that concluded a couple years ago after Raytheon delivered a hypersonic design that cleared preliminary design review and has until now sat on the shelf."We believe the reason DARPA came back to us at the two-year point was that we have a very unique design, both the technical solution as well as the systems solution," Thomas Bussing, Raytheon Advanced Missile Systems vice president, told Inside Defense in a March 5 interview.....

Raytheon, according to Bussing, has invested about $100 million in developing hypersonic technologies in the last "six years or so" to support new rocket boosters to carry glide vehicles to near-space altitudes, on glide bodies that can skip and maneuver at the edge of the atmosphere, as well as on air-breathing technologies to support a separate class of ultra-fast missiles.

"There is a fairly large activity at Raytheon in this business space," he said. "We have several classified programs, several significant classified programs."

Asked about the perception that Lockheed Martin -- which has nabbed contracts for Air Force and Navy programs to develop an integrated weapon that pairs the common hypersonic glide body developed as part of the Convention Prompt Strike program with a new high-speed rocket -- has a solid, inside track in supplying DOD new hypersonic weapons, Bussing offered this: "Its not always what you see in the open press; there are several classified programs at play that we're fairly involved in."

Offline sferrin

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2019, 03:51:20 am »
Interesting quote regarding the F-15X.

"Lastly, the F-15EX is seen as a reliable launch pad for new, larger weapons, in particular hypersonic missiles that will not fit inside the F-35A's internal weapons bay, the source notes.

"We've got to carry a [7,000lb] to 8,000lb weapon that is enormous and doesn't fit in an internal bay," says the source. "And we need a very reliable platform that we well understand, that has power, space and cooling, and we can adapt quickly over the next 10, 12 or 15 years."

The USAF says hypersonic weapons are still in early stages of development, and that it is too early to know which platforms will be able to carry them. "

Offline bring_it_on

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2019, 09:25:38 am »

Offline stealthflanker

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2019, 01:42:08 pm »

"Lastly, the F-15EX is seen as a reliable launch pad for new, larger weapons, in particular hypersonic missiles that will not fit inside the F-35A's internal weapons bay, the source notes.

"We've got to carry a [7,000lb] to 8,000lb weapon that is enormous and doesn't fit in an internal bay," says the source. "And we need a very reliable platform that we well understand, that has power, space and cooling, and we can adapt quickly over the next 10, 12 or 15 years."

The USAF says hypersonic weapons are still in early stages of development, and that it is too early to know which platforms will be able to carry them. "

I'm curious on how much of that weight devoted to the rocket booster.

Offline George Allegrezza

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2019, 01:53:35 am »

I'm curious on how much of that weight devoted to the rocket booster.

That’s a big payload.  Skybolt was 11,000 lbs. so that’s going to be a pretty big missile.  I assume the B-52 would be a candidate platform as well.