PRC Peking Red Banner 1

famvburg

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Received a book from eBay, “Communist Chinese Air Power”, by Richard M. Bueschel, 1968. One section of the book lists every aircraft used by Red China thru 1968, including WW II Japanese types and other captured WW II types. Very interesting list, especially if it is accurate. One type they list as being developed in the late ‘50s is the Peking Red Banner 1. It is described as being in the class of the An-2 and DHC-2, maybe even based on the An-2 but with a single, strutted high wing. Unfortunately, no drawings or pics, but I’m curious. An internet search comes up empty. Anyone have any info or ever heard of it?

A photo of the Red Banner 1 and some text from Flight Magazine.
Did the book you refer to mention anything about producton?. Afaik there was only a prototype.
FlightGlobal:
Red Banner No 1 From its nose back to the
rear of its cabin, the all-metal Red Banner
is little different from the Yak-12; but there
the resemblance ends, for it has a shallow
tail-boom and clam-shell rear loading
doors. The usual 240 h.p. AI-14R radial
engine is retained, driving a Type V-530D
variable-pitch propeller. Payload consists
of up to six people or 1,1001b of freight.
The prototype was built in Peking,
probably by the team which produced the
Peking No 1.
• Span, 41ft 8in; length, 29ft Win; height
lift 2in; wing area, 260 sq ft; gross weight,
3,3301b; empty weight, 2,425lb; max speed,
111 m.p.h.; cruising speed, 84 m.p.h.; service
ceiling, 13,780ft; range, 310 miles

Attachments

• Red Bannere no.1.jpg
    Red Bannere no.1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 343
I Don't remember where i've found this...a long time ago

Attachments

• Scan.pdf
    155.3 KB · Views: 13
  • RedBanner1.png
    RedBanner1.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 329
Thanks! It seems to indicate only the prototype at the time of writing and suspected if their were no development problems, it would have a long production life. It is interesting that it was actually based on the Yak-12 and not the An-2. Another thing I disagree with the book is classing the An-2 with the DHC-2. IMO, there is too much difference in the two. Even the DHC-3 doesn’t compare to the An-2, again, IMO. Thanks for the info.

Well darn! I searched for the subject before I posted this and nothing came up. I wonder why.

famvburg said:
Well darn! I searched for the subject before I posted this and nothing came up. I wonder why.

Never mind my friend.

Also appears in Yefim Gordon and Dmitry Komissarov's Chinese Aircraft: China's aviation industry since 1951.
He translates Hongqi as 'Red Banner'. It was designed by the Beijing Aviation Polytechnic School for agricultural and utility use and first flew 22 December 1958.
Engine 260hp HS-6 (licence-built AI-14); span 13.5m, length 9.45m, height 3.2m, MTOW 1,420kg, payload 468kg, max speed 200km/h, range 700km.

Back
Top Bottom