Boeing swing-wing fighter - TFX, FX or ?

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Based on earlier posts in this thread, this appears to be a model of the single-seat Boeing 818 variant. My understanding of the TFX requirement is that it always was a two-seater (early ones were tandem, and later side x side). So I'm not sure where this fits in ...

Attachments

• Boeing 818 TFX S-VG In.jpg
    Boeing 818 TFX S-VG In.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 873
  • Boeing 818 TFX S-Profile.jpg
    Boeing 818 TFX S-Profile.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 818
  • Boeing 818 TFX VG Out.jpg
    Boeing 818 TFX VG Out.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 787
Nice pics for a cool design. Thanks for sharing.

Tony Buttler thinks this •might• be an early F-X (F-15) proposal. The early (heavy) ones all had VG and if the spurious tail number suggests 1967, it might be a better fit ...

circle-5 said:
Tony Buttler thinks this •might• be an early F-X (F-15) proposal. The early (heavy) ones all had VG and if the spurious tail number suggests 1967, it might be a better fit ...

That makes sense, given what we've seen of the MAC and GD VG designs from that time frame.

According to F-15 EAGLE Origins and Development 1964 - 1972 by Jacob Neufeld Boeing was one of three contractors awarded concept formulation studies for FX in March 1966 (others were North American Aviation and Lockheed - Grumman participated at its own expense).

On 11 August 1967 the USAF sent requests for a second round of studies to 7 companies. General Dynamics and McDonnell-Douglas won contracts, Grumman, Fairchild-Hiller and North American Aviation all participated without funding at company expense. This leaves 2 companies which either didn't bid or didn't win contracts and refused to fund their own studies - Boeing is likely to be one.

May 1968 – concept definition agreed. RFP for FX contract definition issued to McDonnell-Douglas, North American, Grumman, General Dynamics, Lockheed, LTV, Fairchild-Hiller, Boeing.

August 1968 – Only 4 serious bids were received; North American (NR-335), McDonnell-Douglas (Model 199B), Fairchild-Hiller and General Dynamics.

I don't know anything specific about the Boeing FX studies of 1966, though Neufeld mentions that contractors in general favoured podded engine designs.

Separated to own topic.

Boeing Model 837-663 was apparently the Boeing VAX design that looked like a scaled down TFX. This is clearly USAF not Navy but possibly similar? VAX was 1962-1963.

Possible Boeing VFAX (1965) for comparison

index.php

Boeing/EWR 360 (1964)
index.php

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,452.msg61868.html#msg61868

Boeing TFX isn't as close as I thought actually... The vertical tail on this model looks wrong stuck in the tunnel between the two engine pods.

index.php

Amazing info my dear Paul,

and do you mean in anther topic,it was called Model-837-663 ?;

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23449.msg279238.html#msg279238

This is the closest Boeing TFX design I could find to that shown in the original model photos. This is all I have on this.

Attachments

• Image9.jpg
    Image9.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 489
  • Image16.jpg
    Image16.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 456
  • Image11.jpg
    Image11.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 264
  • Image10.jpg
    Image10.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 317
A very different airplane. I'm siding with the F-X (F-15) speculation camp.