Early US MICV design

uk 75

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Found this early US MICV variant drawing on google images from an original print sold on EBay.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 530
That is an amazing find.

Look to me to be more like an ARV than an MICV. It appears to be carrying a spare engine on it's rear deck and has a crane to lift it.

Kadija_Man said:
Look to me to be more like an ARV than an MICV. It appears to be carrying a spare engine on it's rear deck and has a crane to lift it.

The caption (very blurry) reads "MICV Combat Repair Vehicle." So it's an MICV variant, as UK said. I've never seen any MICV drawings except the basic personnel carrier before, so it's interesting, IMO.

It's unusual because the US never really went into separate support versions for its infantry vehicles before -- just used the M88 for all the heavy formations, since there would always be tanks around that needed recovery too.

TomS said:
Kadija_Man said:

The caption (very blurry) reads "MICV Combat Repair Vehicle." So it's an MICV variant, as UK said. I've never seen any MICV drawings except the basic personnel carrier before, so it's interesting, IMO.

It's unusual because the US never really went into separate support versions for its infantry vehicles before -- just used the M88 for all the heavy formations, since there would always be tanks around that needed recovery too.

Depends on when you're talking about. There were numerous different ARVs fielded by the US Army in the past:

M578 LIGHT RECOVERY VEHICLE:
M578_large.jpg

M113 ARV
m113_arv_tracked_armoured_recovery_vehicle_US_army_Unirted_States_640.jpg

M31 ARV:
id_tankrecovery_t2_700_04.jpg

M32 ARV:
m32_trv_01_of_47.jpg

Thanks for all the comments

My only other source for MICV designs was the Janes Weapons Systems 1969 70 and subsequent editions which had images of designs other than the ones
featured in the usual history of US MICV designs. I have lost the photocopies I made of these images many years ago.

From memory in addition to the XM 734 XM 701 and XM765 various proposals were made by US industry, some of which looked more like the German SPZ Neu/Marder design. What I find odd is that they never feature in books or online references to the history of the Bradley. The same is true of various UK proposals like the APC70 from GKN Sankey which led to the Warrior. Sadly the Internet has its limitations

Part of the problem is that Google is much less effective than it used to be for research purposes, due to some rather ill-advised changes to its search algorithms.

I see the book on the Sheridan by Hunnicutt is available now in paperback form. It contains details of a whole family of vehicles based on the m551 including ifvs and arvs. Sadly his work on the Bradley does not reproduce Amy of the Jane's contestants.

Google have found bigger version of this pic - there https://www.ebay.ie/itm/7x-Promotional-cut-away-diagrams-of-military-equipment-on-gloss-paper/183385526689
/for some reason it reminds me of British Warrior aka MCV-80, Modular Load Carrier version to be precise/

Attachments

• s-l1600 (5).jpg
    s-l1600 (5).jpg
    337 KB · Views: 221
  • s-l1600 (6).jpg
    s-l1600 (6).jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 90