Post-war U.S. Coast Guard glider-helicopter lifeboat concept

Stargazer

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
In the post-war years, the U.S. Coast Guard wished to explore new concepts for sea rescue. Two studies emerged:
  • A glider-borne lifeboat which may be launched from water or land, and towed by powered aircraft to survivors of overseas airline crashed and marine casualties;
  • A twin-rotor glider-helicopter lifeboat that could be launched almost vertically from land or water, being towed behind the search plane, released at the scene of disaster, landed vertically, rotors jettisoned or folded back and maneuvered as a conventional motorboat while picking up survivors.

According to the article, the experimental work on these projects (the first of which was done jointly with the Stevens Institute of Technology) had to be suspended "due to overall reduction in appropriations."

Attachments

• USCG helicopter lifeboat.png
    USCG helicopter lifeboat.png
    354.6 KB · Views: 435
From Decollage 8/1947,

I never heard about this American designer,who designed a tandem rotor amphibian helicopter
Project,he was called Canot,he doesn't mention in Aerofiles site,did I translate right ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    597.2 KB · Views: 272
  • 2.png
    2.png
    293.4 KB · Views: 235
Canot is French for a small boat. Canot hélicoptère: helicopter boat or flying lifeboat - I would think.

From; A history of U.S. Coast Guard aviation

1- a clearer view to the Helicopter
2- a twin-boon glider-borne life boat Project,deceloped by USCG and Stevens Institute of Technology,1947

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 3.png
    3.png
    358.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 4.png
    4.png
    235.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited: