Aviation Classics 26: Fw 190

Pasoleati said:
Is that one any good?

I wrote most of it back in 2014 (back when I was still writing Fw 190A-1 instead of Fw 190 A-1); make of that what you will. It was my fifth book-length publication. Projects-wise, it has a couple of original Ta 152 C drawings in it, an original drawing of the Ta 154/Fw 190 A-8 Mistel, three original drawings of the Gero II airborne flamethrower, some photos of Ta 152 airframes being stress-tested at Detmold which I don't think I've seen published elsewhere and numerous other photos I scanned off original hard-copy Focke-Wulf documents. It's not really a projects-oriented publication though - it's a general overview of the Fw 190 (all versions). Other content, besides the words, includes eight profiles by Claes Sundin, two artworks by Mark Postlethwaite etc. etc. I think it has about 320 images in it all together. Contents attached.

Attachments

• 004.png
    004.png
    671.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 005.png
    005.png
    496.2 KB · Views: 141
newsdeskdan said:
Pasoleati said:
Is that one any good?

I wrote most of it back in 2014 (back when I was still writing Fw 190A-1 instead of Fw 190 A-1); make of that what you will. It was my fifth book-length publication. Projects-wise, it has a couple of original Ta 152 C drawings in it, an original drawing of the Ta 154/Fw 190 A-8 Mistel, three original drawings of the Gero II airborne flamethrower, some photos of Ta 152 airframes being stress-tested at Detmold which I don't think I've seen published elsewhere and numerous other photos I scanned off original hard-copy Focke-Wulf documents. It's not really a projects-oriented publication though - it's a general overview of the Fw 190 (all versions). Other content, besides the words, includes eight profiles by Claes Sundin, two artworks by Mark Postlethwaite etc. etc. I think it has about 320 images in it all together. Contents attached.

Wow! Reading this, I bought it on the spot. It´s way better than most of the recent german magazines/bookazines concerning Luftwaffe-Planes.

athpilot said:
newsdeskdan said:
Pasoleati said:
Is that one any good?

Wow! Reading this, I bought it on the spot. It´s way better than most of the recent german magazines/bookazines concerning Luftwaffe-Planes.

I hope it doesn't disappoint. It was this magazine which led to my later collaborations with Claes on the Luftwaffe Fighters and Allied Fighters profiles bookazines. There's another one coming soon...

No; it´s good. A good summary of the evolution, story and short discreption of an famous plane. Especially the chapter about the Ta-152C and about the special weapons and experiments are good. In the chapter about the foreign users are some stories, which were new to me. Also I liked the short story and the artwort of the "Jabo over London" (SKG 10). So, I like and recommend it. Great that there will be aanother one!

Dan, perhaps I should emphasize that I am not super keen on projects, especially ones that never flew. So the apparent lack of projects in this bookazine is not actually a shortcoming. In fact, I find it amazing that in many books on the Fw 190, including Classic's multi-volume study, one will not find a thorough description of Fw's spinning characteristics. And it is, one of the most important aspects of handling of an aircraft. Yet, eye candy galores nearly every Fw 190 book.

Pasoleati said:
Dan, perhaps I should emphasize that I am not super keen on projects, especially ones that never flew. So the apparent lack of projects in this bookazine is not actually a shortcoming. In fact, I find it amazing that in many books on the Fw 190, including Classic's multi-volume study, one will not find a thorough description of Fw's spinning characteristics. And it is, one of the most important aspects of handling of an aircraft. Yet, eye candy galores nearly every Fw 190 book.

While it's not a detailed engineering study, I would say that the performance characteristics of the Fw 190 get a reasonably objective description in AC 26. It includes the results of comparative tests where Fw 190s were pitted against the Spitfire Mk.Vb, Spitfire Mk.IX, Mustang 1A, P-38F, Typhoon, Spitfire XII, Corsair, Hellcat and Thunderbolt (and to a lesser degree against the Yak-3, Yak-9U, La-5FN and La-7). Hopefully AC 26 isn't short on eye candy either.