Register here

Author Topic: Tempest - UK Future fighter programme  (Read 23038 times)

Offline galgot

• CLEARANCE: Secret
Re: Tempest - UK Future fighter programme
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2018, 01:53:39 pm »
Because the Iranians with their mockup have ridiculed the all mockup idea. A mockup is already a fake thing , they managed to make it so bad that every fighter mockup made after the holy Qaher-313 , people immediately think "oh yeah ! Like that iranian stuff" .
Making a fighter mockup now is a bad pr move . It just look "iranian" now…

Offline robunos

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • You're Mad, You Are.....
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2018, 02:11:18 pm »
Well as I was the one who mentioned the Iranians . . .
I was replying, in a tongue-in-cheek fashion, to Sienar's post, that mentioned  an 'oversized cockpit'. I immediately thought of the Quaher-313 mockup, with it's obviously 'undersized' cockpit. It was merely an attempt at whimsy . . .     :-X

cheers,
             Robin.
Where ARE the Daleks when you need them......

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline kcran567

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2018, 04:09:23 pm »
Overall size of the Aircraft looks very smallish, T-38 sized.

Is the mockup 1:1 or 85%
Intakes on the mock-up look very small also, and the exhaust nozzles look very small.

Any indicators of features of nozzle design? looks like just a square opening. Subsonic?? no visible after-burning nozzles.

Looks like subsonic design for greatly reduced IR? Looks IR stealthy.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 04:20:40 pm by kcran567 »

Offline TomcatViP

• Hellcat
« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2018, 05:33:47 pm »
The hand sign interface is remarkably clever. I see it as a breakthrough in this field. As I have somewhat experimented some years ago hand sign recognition to controll a swarm of drones in real time, I still think that their way of doing it is brilliant. Let's hope that they will share more of it soon.

Last but not least, those that want to see this as a fake mockup, a soon to be popular internet jocke or are taking this display as a derision are only delusional to themselves: a lot of work, time and money (across various succeeding administrations obviously) went behind this Tempest fury. A remarkable sign of continuity.
Any UK foreigner should be humble watching this scene of transparency with so much being shared so openly with the British public. We don't see this happening often in Europe lately.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 05:39:33 pm by TomcatViP »

Offline Rhinocrates

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2018, 06:39:50 pm »
Is the mockup 1:1 or 85%
Intakes on the mock-up look very small also, and the exhaust nozzles look very small.

Any indicators of features of nozzle design? looks like just a square opening. Subsonic?? no visible after-burning nozzles

Perspective can be very deceptive and most of the photos of the mockup are close/wide-angle. IIRC it has been described as a large aircraft, comparable to an F-22.

Regarding the intakes, perspective effects are compounded by the stealth angling. A low view in BAE artwork shows that they are actually large - compare views from above and below. Other artworks and infographics show afterburner equipped variable-cycle turbofans, other illustrations show afterburners in use (plus a laser).

Also, as a model of a concept that's in the early stages of development, it will be lacking many details that are as yet unresolved or classified.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 06:49:41 pm by Rhinocrates »
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

Offline Rhinocrates

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2018, 06:56:50 pm »
The hand sign interface is remarkably clever.

Since it's a British design, I wonder if it will make use of a very British gesture. :)

Apparently it's origin story is only a myth. http://www.agincourt600.com/2015/06/08/was-the-v-sign-invented-at-the-battle-of-agincourt/
If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink.

Offline kcran567

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2018, 08:35:34 pm »
Will be leveraging this no moving flaps Technology from MAGMA.

It has an interesting look to it.
Wonder what the Advanced Countermeasures could be, a towed decoy in the tail?

Use of Microwave, Quantum or some kind of HAARP array? Side looking Arrays?

The box behind the pilot a fuel tank or part of the energy weapon system?

Offline galgot

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2018, 08:41:45 pm »
Mmh mmh.... And using just the middle finger will launch a fox1 or a fox2, depending if you use both hands.
Brillant indeed   B)

Offline TsrJoe

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2018, 11:46:01 pm »
Tempest mockup Exhaust and centrebody
...'excuse me mister, is that plane for real'...!!!

IPMS (UK) 'Project Cancelled' SIG. co,co-ordinator
IPMS (UK) 'TSR-2', 'Cold War' & 'What-if' SIG. Member

Offline Hood

« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2018, 01:11:28 am »
That's a nice close-up shot Joe. It even tells who built the mock-up, the Curvature Group.
Looks they construct a very nice array of models and full-size aircraft and railway mock-ups too for several industrial areas.
http://curvaturegroup.co.uk/wp/aerospace-model-making/

Offline Flyaway

« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2018, 10:07:12 am »
U.S Air Force Reps Meet to Discuss Britain’s Future Fighter With UK

One day following the announcement of Britain’s future combat air system (FCAS) effort, known as Tempest, U.S. Air Force officials plan to discuss the project this week with UK officials.

Tempest was revealed on the first day of the Farnborough Airshow. The aircraft is described as a twin-engine, low-observable fighter.

Air Force Under Secretary Matthew Donovan told reporters interoperability is the most important feature when any partner is building a platform critical to an allied fight.

“Other folks who are going to develop new technologies, we highly encourage that, because we don’t have the corner on the market for sure,” he said. “But we want to make sure that they are going to fit into the joint coalition warfare fighting system they have in the future, so [that] we can agree on standards moving forward.”

Will Roper, assistant secretary of the air force for acquisition, technology and logistics, told reporters during the same briefing the U.S. must work with its allies, especially the UK, on the next generation of air dominance.

“A lot of what we’re going to have to determine about the future depends on the direction that we think threats are evolving, but not just our threats – it’s also the world of commercial technology,” he said. “Now we live in a world where sensors are increasingly propagating because of commercial investment – we have to weigh the pros and cons.”

Roper is visiting the UK’s Rapid Capabilities Office, which is a mirror of the Pentagon’s, to discuss ways the two entities can work together, he said.

“To achieve the National Defense Strategy we can’t do it alone. We’re going to have to be able to not just fight with our allies – we’re going to have to be able to build things with them,” Roper said.

http://m.aviationweek.com/farnborough-airshow-2018/us-air-force-reps-meet-discuss-britain-s-future-fighter-uk

Offline TomcatViP

• Hellcat
« Reply #103 on: July 20, 2018, 10:37:39 am »
Boeing, Saab and now the USAF... Is this the aerospace version of the three kings?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 10:41:40 am by TomcatViP »

Offline RavenOne

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2018, 11:24:08 am »
I am here all week at FIAS 2018, and laughingly only read / saw the news on the second day here. Thus I wondered over to the BAE hall

« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 10:42:49 am by flateric »