Fifth-Generation Fighters

gatoraptor

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I found this on a newsstand today and bought it. As usual, a nice effort from Mortons Media and David Baker.

After going through the history of jet fighters and the development of stealth technology, he describes each of what he considers fifth-generation fighters, including proof-of-concept vehicles like the MiG 1.44 and the Sukhoi Su-47. Another chapter describes efforts in countries like India, Japan, South Korea and Turkey to develop their own fifth-generation types, another describes upgrades being made to older fighters to attempt to achieve some degree of parity, and another looks ahead to a possible sixth generation.

I'm not sure I agree with Baker's inclusion of the MiG-35, as it is not stealthy. What do the rest of you think?

https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5539/bookazine-fifth-generation-fighters-stealth-supercruise-supermaneuverability-agility

gatoraptor said:
I found this on a newsstand today and bought it. As usual, a nice effort from Mortons Media and David Baker.

After going through the history of jet fighters and the development of stealth technology, he describes each of what he considers fifth-generation fighters, including proof-of-concept vehicles like the MiG 1.44 and the Sukhoi Su-47. Another chapter describes efforts in countries like India, Japan, South Korea and Turkey to develop their own fifth-generation types, another describes upgrades being made to older fighters to attempt to achieve some degree of parity, and another looks ahead to a possible sixth generation.

I'm not sure I agree with Baker's inclusion of the MiG-35, as it is not stealthy. What do the rest of you think?

https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5539/bookazine-fifth-generation-fighters-stealth-supercruise-supermaneuverability-agility

Looks interesting, lets hope that my local WHSmiths have it.

Book is full of wrong-attributed photos/images - most captioned as via David Baker are just stolen, some from my friends, but this one is exceptional example...

Attachments

• E-B-1.PNG
    E-B-1.PNG
    696.4 KB · Views: 369
  • E-B-C.P.Wick_.jpg
    E-B-C.P.Wick_.jpg
    821.5 KB · Views: 346
flateric said:
Book is full of wrong-attributed photos/images - most captioned as via David Baker are just stolen, some from my friends, but this one is exceptional example...

This is really bad! :mad: And moreover the caption under the first picture is just meh... "an unnecessary and expensive distraction..." Well well!

Looks like I won't be buying this anymore. Thanks guys for the advanced warning.

flateric said:

Any proof that he did not have proper permission? Proof that would stand up in court?

Proper permission for what? Write that he draw this Energia-Buran drawings but not Charles Vick? That's ridiculous.

Its not like he could claim he didn't know - the artist's attribution is clear in the source (Aviation Week). Anyway, why is it in a book about 5th Generation Fighters?

flateric said:
Proper permission for what? Write that he draw this Energia-Buran drawings but not Charles Vick? That's ridiculous.

Are you sure that Baker did not have Aviation Week's permission to use the image? 2nd point: afaik many such drawings are based on original official drawings. One Finnish author/artist admitted to me that an Fw 200 drawing he draw was basically done by drawing the new one over the original factory drawing and then adding a few words of text and then putting his name on the corner of the drawing to "claim" copyright for the new drawing.

Pasoleati said:
Are you sure that Baker did not have Aviation Week's permission to use the image?

If that's the case, then shouldn't the attribution under the image say (Aviation Week) instead of (David Baker)?

I'm not talking only about unauthorized usage of drawings here. I've just talked to Zhirnov and Lukashevich - neither Baker or Mortons asked their permission to use their works or paid for them.
You literally can see that the S-37 schematics is a poor 4-way scan from foldout - that's why it has color shades, not the original drawing.
Pretty sure that the same case is with the many photos.

https://russianplanes.net/id59159
http://www.buran.ru/htm/foto42.htm

Attachments

• 9h2h3k-.jpg
    9h2h3k-.jpg
    377.4 KB · Views: 206
  • S-37_(c)Volkov.jpg
    S-37_(c)Volkov.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 190
  • S-37 DB.jpg
    S-37 DB.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 175
  • su27-9.jpg
    su27-9.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 47
  • su27-9.jpg
    su27-9.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 42
  • (c) Andrey Zhirnov S-37 color profiles.PNG
    (c) Andrey Zhirnov S-37 color profiles.PNG
    551 KB · Views: 53
  • (c) Andrey Zhirnov S-37 schematics key drawings.PNG
    (c) Andrey Zhirnov S-37 schematics key drawings.PNG
    653.4 KB · Views: 68
I will happily take the copy off anybody who doesn't want theirs. Errors or not.

There's a new edition out of Tempest Books.

Having had occasion to study some of ex-Dr. Baker's work in great detail, I wonder how and where he became an expert in combat aircraft.