What is this SST?

Mike Pryce

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
This came up on Twitter from @AvHistorian

Any ideas? Folks are suggesting Bristol 188 or Avro 730 derivative.

I think it looks like an airline or engine company concept; rectangular windows, passengers sitting over the wing in a 4 foot high 'loft' make me think it was not a real design.

Attachments

• SST.jpg
    SST.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 346
could be the British Electro-Hydraulics Ltd designed SST airliner around 1957
index.php

or Hawker APG.1000 ?
index.php

In the fin and tailplane? Only reason for their huge size. Shame the noise from the 'burners will fatigue them off in no time...

A Lockheed Projects;

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,855.0.html

Bingo! My first guess on Twitter as it looked like a Starfighter with bits stuck on.

I think it is just to illustrate the 'sort of thing' an SST would be - above technical issues show why. Nuclear or not, rectangular windows mean 'pop'!

I'm almost certain there is something very similar in American Secret Projects -Fighters or Bomber. Looks very familiar.

edit: Was probably thinking of CL-288...or Suntan. :eek:

sferrin said:
edit: Was probably thinking of CL-288...or Suntan. :eek:

The Lockheed CL-288 (a Kelly Johnson design) had similar outlines. The CL-288 was Lockheed's proposal for the Long Range Interceptor (WS-202A) program, against the Douglas 1355, NAA ESO 7189, Republic AP-75, Northrop N-144, etc. Based on the extensive window complement, the SST variant might have been a bit short on fuel and range ...

Attached photo shows the CL-288 proposal model that went to Washington, back in the day. North American won this one, which became the F-108.

Attachments

• Lockheed AP : CL-288.jpg
    Lockheed AP : CL-288.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 260
As I think it was a transport aircraft based on it.

Back
Top Bottom