Request for a book about French Aircraft

lucamax

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.res-aeronautica.com
Dear friends,
I apologize if I'm starting an off topic, but I'm looking for a book written in english about French Aircraft history. I know the "Docavia" series and I'd like to find something like that, but in english (unfortunatly I don't know french): do you have any suggestion?
Thnak you all.
Best regards.
Luca

you looking for something special ?

for generic, english books i can recommend

by Jean-Christophe Carbonel
French Secret Projects 1: Post war Fighters
ISBN-10: 1910809063
French Secret Projects 2: Bombers, Patrol and Assault Aircraft
ISBN-10: 1910809004

The french aircraft is poor in English...

with the two books given by Michel Van, I have only

-Fighters of France 1932-1940, Wings magazine, 1996

-Vichy Air Force at war, Pen & sword, Sutherland-Canwell, 2011

-French Aces of WW2, Osprey, Barry Ketley, 1999

-Mirage, Ian Allan Ltd, Paul Jackson, 1985

Michel Van said:
you looking for something special ?

for generic, english books i can recommend

by Jean-Christophe Carbonel
French Secret Projects 1: Post war Fighters
ISBN-10: 1910809063
French Secret Projects 2: Bombers, Patrol and Assault Aircraft
ISBN-10: 1910809004

Dear,
I'm looking about a "Putnam style" book about french aircraft, or french aviation manufacturer... a sort of "Bloch/Potez/Loire/etc.. Aircraft since...".
The problem is that Docavia books are awesome, but I don't speak french, so I can only use Google Transaltor, but it's not easy.
I'll buy the books you suggested me!
Thanks to all.

Deltafan said:
The french aircraft is poor in English...

with the two books given by Michel Van, I have only

-Fighters of France 1932-1940, Wings magazine, 1996

-Vichy Air Force at war, Pen & sword, Sutherland-Canwell, 2011

-French Aces of WW2, Osprey, Barry Ketley, 1999

-Mirage, Ian Allan Ltd, Paul Jackson, 1985

Dear,
I have the Vol 1 of André Van Haute book about french air force, but I have to admit that is not so complete as I wished when I bought it..
I have also the book "French Fighters of World War Two", of Squadron/Signal pubblications: it's very nice, but I'd like to find something more detailed.
Thanks for your suggestions!

lucamax said:
.... The problem is that Docavia books are awesome, but I don't speak french, so I can only use Google Transaltor, but it's not easy.

I'm quite busy in the field of French aircraft, but without reading French, it's probably quite hopeless,
I'm afraid ! Don't be afraid, at least the technical data are quite obvious in most cases, the rest is
practice. ;)

I agree with Jemiba, you do need to make the effort to read French. A good online dictionary or Google Translate will help with the more technical words. I have a number of the Docavia books and they are not too difficult to read after a bit of practice.

My flippant reply is usually 'but the images are in English', but seriously I have plenty of aviation books in French and you can pretty much get the gist, if not the substance. Many of the technical terms can be worked out with my trusty Robert dictionary, but now we have the internet.

My French is really bad, learned on drilling rigs in west Africa, so I get some very odd reactions whenever I visit to La Republique.

I'd buy a book and see how you get on. Plenty of people on here to help you.

Le Boue

I can read aviation books reasonably OK with my schoolboy French, enough to get the gist at least. Most of the technical language is understandable. Fiction books are another matter.

Dear friends,
Thank you all.
I'll try to follow your suggestion reading french books with mr. Google open on my pc!
In any case I think I'll need to request a bank loan to buy some Docavia books ;D :D :D :D
Best regards.
--
Luca

Wait my books about French aircraft ?.