Register here

Author Topic: Luftwaffe: Secret Designs of the Third Reich  (Read 9113 times)

Offline sgeorges4

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text

Offline gatoraptor

Re: Luftwaffe: Secret Designs of the Third Reich
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2018, 06:12:38 am »
Finally got a copy of this in the U.S., though as usual for this series, it was not easy, as the local outlets in the Atlanta area still don't carry it.

But I had an engagement in Guntersville, Alabama, and while there drove an hour north to Huntsville, a city with (still) a significant German presence.  I went mainly to eat at a good German restaurant, but while there I popped into a Barnes & Noble bookstore, and, voila!  They had a bunch of copies.

I had bought a previous volume in this series at a bookstore in Dayton, Ohio, so maybe the rule is: if you can't find it in your hometown bookstore, go to a place with either a large German presence or a large aviation one!

Oh, and the publication is fabulous.  This series really puts the "book" in "bookazine"!

Offline Richard N

« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2018, 01:08:07 pm »
I went by my local Barnes and Noble in Fort Worth, Texas and found that they had significantly cut back on their UK magazine selections and I guess that may come down to the discretion of the local managers and I haven't found LSDotTR there.  I've gone completely digital for all of my UK publications with the advantages of lower price, painless instant acquisition, and always knowing I can find any part of my digital library on any of my computers or tablets. 

I got my digital edition of LSDotTR from Pocketmags within seconds of finding it on their site.  They have holiday sales every few months with prices much less than paper and a couple of times a year have $.99 back issue sales for magazines that might have been $10 and a 30 mile drive for me for the paper version.

Digital is the future for long out of print and vary rare books.  MMP just releasing the great B-24 book "Consolidated Mess" in a Kindle Digital Edition is a great example.  It was out for a short time for about $50 and prices for it from sites like ABE Books and Amazon are now in the thousands of dollars.  The Kindle release is $19!  I have the original book and bought the Kindle version and compared them and the Kindle version is complete as the original.  A pdf of "System 37 Viggen" was recently made available on SP and that is an unobtainium book in print form and another advantage of the pdf form over paper is that it is copy and pastable text so you can copy the text in the original Swedish and past it into Google Translate for your native language. 

My last relocation move (paid for by a large defense contractor) placed my 20,000 lbs of stuff at my current location.  A significant portion of that weight and volume was books and magazines.  I truly appreciate the characteristic of digital publications that they have no physical size or weight and cannot be harmed by bugs or climate that are the bane of paper books.

I imagine that if our conciosnesses were uploaded to a virtual existance, we would have our digital books to read whereas our physical books would require the burden of scanning and connection to an appropriate interface by someone or something left in the physical world.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2018, 02:31:54 pm »
Agreed. Most "bookazines" are pretty lightweight in terms of research and content - Dan's publications are in a whole different league and very inspiring. I have a desire to do a similar bookazine on a subject of great interest to me.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2018, 01:11:30 am »
Hello!

The book is still unavailable in France :

Sorry for the delay - the bookazine should now be available to buy in France direct from Amazon.fr.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2018, 01:27:54 am »
Agreed. Most "bookazines" are pretty lightweight in terms of research and content - Dan's publications are in a whole different league and very inspiring. I have a desire to do a similar bookazine on a subject of great interest to me.

Thanks - I've found bookazines to be an excellent way of getting my work published in a quality format which is relatively inexpensive for people to buy. I agree that most bookazines are light reads covering fairly familiar territory, and I've bought plenty like that which I've enjoyed, but I think there is also a place for bookazines which offer content based on new research.

Offline steelpillow

• So many projects, so little time...
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2018, 03:32:08 am »
The main problem with the Mortons bookazines is the very thin covers, no different from the main pages. By contrast the "Aeroplane Special" series have a thicker grade paper, almost a thin card, for the covers and they are much more durable.
Would Mortons consider producing a protective dust cover or binder, ideally transparent? I'd certainly buy four of them.
Cheers.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2018, 05:45:11 am »
The main problem with the Mortons bookazines is the very thin covers, no different from the main pages. By contrast the "Aeroplane Special" series have a thicker grade paper, almost a thin card, for the covers and they are much more durable.
Would Mortons consider producing a protective dust cover or binder, ideally transparent? I'd certainly buy four of them.

I'm told that there are no plans for a dust cover or binder. In terms of the cover, apparently it would be possible to make the covers thicker if the content was knocked down to 100 pages, rather than 132, or the price was increased above 6.99 (same price for the last four years). I understand the desire for a thicker cover but I would rather keep the extra space for content if I can.

Offline Wurger

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2018, 11:11:10 am »
I would rather keep the extra space for content if I can.

I completely agree! Dan, do you have an idea of what your next bookazine on Luftwaffe projects will be?

Offline steelpillow

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2018, 01:40:29 pm »

I completely agree!

Yes indeed. Personally I'd be happy to pay an extra quid or so for a thicker cover, but I can understand you folks wanting to keep the price as low as possible.
Cheers.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2018, 11:52:40 pm »

I completely agree! Dan, do you have an idea of what your next bookazine on Luftwaffe projects will be?

Another selection of completely unknown designs and not-very-well-known designs upon which I think I can shed a little more light.

Offline Wurger

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2018, 04:18:49 am »
Dan, do you have enough stuff to produce an edition on "secret" subsystems, e.g. aircraft engines and armament?

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2018, 05:09:03 am »
Dan, do you have enough stuff to produce an edition on "secret" subsystems, e.g. aircraft engines and armament?

Engines - more than enough, too much if anything, although I'm not sure what the wider level of interest on that would be. Armament - possibly, although I haven't specifically sought out unusual or 'secret' weapons systems. Missiles and glide bombs would probably also be possible. Again, not sure how well received that would be. However, I've more than enough aircraft projects to report on in the meantime.

Offline Zizi6785

« Reply #73 on: June 28, 2018, 06:43:16 am »
It received after the Deadline  :)

Offline steelpillow

« Reply #74 on: June 28, 2018, 07:01:13 am »
Another selection of completely unknown designs and not-very-well-known designs upon which I think I can shed a little more light.

Luftwaffe: Secret Projects of the Third Reich?
Cheers.