Martin Marietta orbit-to-orbit spacecraft (1968)

nyrath

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
This is an orbit-to-orbit design spacecraft from the Martin Marietta corporation. I found it in a book Man's Conquest of Space by the National Geographic Society (1968). Now you know as much as I do.

Does anybody know if this was an actual study or just something slapped together by the MM advertising department? The propulsion system is small, but the standoff distance suggests it is radioactive. The fins on the front cone suggest that the cone is some sort of Mars landing craft. Otherwise I am at a loss.

Attachments

• martinMariettaShipTB.jpg
    martinMariettaShipTB.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 273
Its look realistic

A long boom were propellant tanks are attached
At on end probable a Nerva type Engine or Reactor for electric engines
On the other end a spherical section (habitat ? service module ?) and Cone section

i wonder is that cone a aerobraking heat shield or the Mars lander or both ?

I'm no expert, but I'd say a Mars lander. In Mars mission designs the Earth Entry Module is usually a tiny cone like an Apollo command module or a lifting body, that is to say it has no fins.

yes the cone has something that look like stored landing legs, most likely its a lander.

Douglas had 1965 Mars Mission proposal were
Mars lander is also the aerobraking heat shield to get conical spacecraft into mars orbit
Then use it again to bring the mars lander safe true Mars atmosphere (its the top of cone)

so it could also be same function for MM illustration ?

Back
Top Bottom