Question about new BSP series

Nick Sumner

Live! From the Belly of the Beast!
Reaction score
The New BSP 1 and 2 expand on the old volumes but it is noticeable that some of the info from Old BSP 4 (hypersonics etc) has made its way into the New BSP 1 and 2.

The New BSP 3 is fighters 35-50, so presumably New BSP 4 will be bombers 35-50.

So will the information in Old BSP 4 find its way into another expanded volume?

I supose what I'm really asking is what is the plan for New BSP 6?

And 7... :D

Hello Nick and Everyone.

Many thanks for your question. I guess I should have clarified all of this earlier.

Firstly, I had no idea that any of the updated BSP1 and 2 text and info had pulled in items from BSP4. All I did was revamp the old titles and add what new information I had here, so I apologise if I might have stepped into some of Chris's territory (the top man for hypersonics and missiles of course, and so much more).

Second, yes the split WW2 volume will be BSP3 Fighters and BSP4 Bombers - that was a Crecy decision made quite some time ago now. This numbering sequence does not take in to account the original Midland Publishing editions.

For 3 and 4, again I will add what new information I have, with I hope plenty of new illustrations. But I have no intention of expanding the parameters, which were essentially to cover types that were designed and developed during WW2, or in the second half of the 1930s with the knowledge that war was coming. I will not go back to say 1930, which to my mind takes us into an area that demands a separate volume.

As far as I know Crecy have no plans for a BSP6 and BSP7, or if they have what subjects they might cover. I guess there is scope for a volume covering British fighters and bombers say from 1920 to 1935, but I have no wish to do that myself. When the revisions of BSP3 and 4 are done I think I will have had enough! However, if anyone would like to offer further volumes in the series (and of course if Crecy decides to take them on) then I would be only too pleased to give all the support and help that I can.

Very best wishes to you all. Tony.

Evening all,

What we on this forum call BSP4 is actually (to give it its Sunday name) British Secret Projects - Hypersonics, Ramjets and Missiles. It was only ever called BSP4 as a shorthand that sounded better than BSPHRM as it came after Tony's three BSP books. I don't recall who started calling it that or when, a decade ago probably. Wasn't me. I liked it and used it.

There's no question of Tony trespassing on my manor, my subject matter is highly varied, qv the Project Tech Profiles, so I don't really have a manor as my interests are wide. Take it back in history and we all trespass on Derek Wood's manor. Any information Tony has used was already published and since Tony and I discuss such things - and with other writers - no apology required. In fact I find the idea quite disturbing.

As Tony says the BSPn series numbers are new, Crecy have updated and appended the originals (effectively new books if BSP2 is anything to go by) and the new BSPn series benefits from modern production techniques such as full colour printing. Vulcan's Hammer and Battle Flight are expansions and updates of the AAMs, SAMs and ASMs chapters in BSP4. The Air Staff and the Helicopter (ASATH) grew from a chapter deleted from On Atlas' Shoulders and the deleted chapter on ATGWs from BSP4 might see the light of day some day.

At the end of the day, it's the publishers who decide what gets produced and what it's called.

Chris