Register here

Author Topic: The US Space Force  (Read 9664 times)

Online sferrin

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: The US Space Force
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 06:52:23 am »
To be clear, I didn't even necessarily mean a deployed capability, more along the lines of pursuing the equivalent of being nuclear latent state / nuclear threshold state, but when it comes to space-borne weapons (e.g. The U.S. has the goal of eventually being able to deploy a substantial number of FOBS or strike capable satellites within a couple of years of getting the green light).

There is ZERO evidence that the US intends to develop a FOBS system or nuclear-armed satellites.  There is no evidence they're even researching the capability.

For the record, this is what I wrote:

The United States is pursuing hypersonics, space based weapons, and pulling out of disarmament treaties.

Again, the US is NOT pursuing "space based weapons".  If it is, name the system or program.  As for hypersonics, that's hardly controversial given both Russia and China are AHEAD of the US.  As for pulling out of treaties I have a difficult time faulting the US for that when the other side isn't abiding by them. Why should we unilaterally hobble ourselves?
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 10:49:50 pm »
I wonder if a Department of the Space Force would take over the programs of the Missile Defense Agency to develop anti-ballistic missile defense and the ground-based strategic deterrent from the United States Air Force in addition to being responsible for satellite launches and satellite defense. Further, how many journalists and laypersons had visions of Space Marines when President Trump advocated a "Space Force?"
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 12:34:14 pm by Triton »

Offline Archibald

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 02:46:37 am »
Who needs Shuttle noawadays, even with racing strippes ? imagine the number of laser-armed space marines a BFS could carry... (we really need a remake of Moonraker, either cheesy or serious, I don't care)
Conservatoire de l'Air et de l'Espace d'Aquitaine
http://www.caea.info/en/plan.php

Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully

Political correctness: just bury your head in the sand for the sake of appeasement and "peace for our time"
- https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serge_Dassault#Affaires_

Offline Foo Fighter

• I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 03:32:24 am »
More likely to be accepted for funding as cheesy, serious does not get the moolah in cinema.

Online sferrin

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 04:53:20 am »
Who needs Shuttle noawadays, even with racing strippes ? imagine the number of laser-armed space marines a BFS could carry... (we really need a remake of Moonraker, either cheesy or serious, I don't care)

Ahem:

Online sferrin

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 05:35:02 am »
Or how about a manned reusable space "fighter" stuck to the end of a Falcon 9 1st stage?  Maybe a larger X-37 with enough fuel to make it the rest of the way to orbit (with the 1st stage having enough fuel to land at sea or back at the launch site), maneuver in orbit, and deorbit for a glide back to base. Would this even be possible?  That is, would a Block 5 Falcon 9 have enough oomph to put something of that description where it could get the rest of the way to orbit?

Offline Triton

• Donald McKelvy
    • Deep Blue to Wild Blue
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 02:53:47 pm »

Elon Musk is Hugo Drax?  :o

Offline kcran567

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 04:05:44 pm »
"Submarine" type armed space vehicles like a "space Navy":

Offline bobbymike

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 12:44:19 am »
http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pages/2018/March%202018/New-Funding-Enough-to-Counter-Space-Threats-AFSPC-Commander-Says.aspx?utm_source=&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=

The Air Force bolstered its space budget by 18 percent, or $7 billion over the five-year future years defense program, in an effort to increase its capabilities and ensure the United States keeps pace with other countries in space, Air Force Space Command chief Gen. Jay Raymond said Thursday.

His remarks during a brief public session of the House Armed Services Strategic Forces Subcommittee were questioned by Rep. Seth Moulton (D-Mass.), who pointed to successful Chinese test launches of several anti-satellite missiles, a development he said “fundamentally alters the strategic balance between great powers,” which has “continued to evolve in favor of China” as it has “accelerated development of space weapons.”
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

Charles W. Eliot

Offline NeilChapman

• Interested 3rd party
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 10:25:01 am »
Or how about a manned reusable space "fighter" stuck to the end of a Falcon 9 1st stage?  Maybe a larger X-37 with enough fuel to make it the rest of the way to orbit (with the 1st stage having enough fuel to land at sea or back at the launch site), maneuver in orbit, and deorbit for a glide back to base. Would this even be possible?  That is, would a Block 5 Falcon 9 have enough oomph to put something of that description where it could get the rest of the way to orbit?

That's a $60million launch, no? Maybe $18-30million if purchased in bulk?

I don't understand what the mission would be.  Why a manned fighter in space, launched from the ground.  If you wanted manned fighters in space would it not make sense to assemble them in space?  There is so much less complexity if you remove the restrictions of getting an assembled vehicle into orbit (weight, size, shape). Why not take them up in pieces and connect the parts in space?

The hitch is getting humans into space.  Neither Crew Dragon or CST-100 will fly until the end of the year.  Price per launch is expected to be $654 and $405million, respectively.  There doesn't seem to be any economy of scale until BFS is realized.

Interesting read...

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20170008895.pdf

Online marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 11:14:29 pm »
Sigh...in an alternate history the first brilliant pebbles that were orbited as part of GPALS would
be nearing retirement this year. 

While there are countermeasures to space based interceptors they look to be pretty complex/costly.

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 09:19:39 am »

The hitch is getting humans into space.  Neither Crew Dragon or CST-100 will fly until the end of the year.  Price per launch is expected to be $654 and $405million, respectively. 

Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Offline Orionblamblam

• Secret Projects Guru
  • Top Contributor
    • Aerospace Projects Review
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 09:21:06 am »
Sigh...in an alternate history the first brilliant pebbles that were orbited as part of GPALS would

While there are countermeasures to space based interceptors they look to be pretty complex/costly.

Is there more to that "fractionated Trident" document?
Aerospace Projects Review

And so the endless circle of life comes to an end, meaningless and grim. Why did they live, and why did they die? No reason. Two hundred million years of evolution snuffed out, for in the end Nature is horrific and teaches us nothing

Online marauder2048

• "I should really just relax"
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 11:31:28 am »

Attached.

Online sferrin

« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2018, 04:10:42 pm »

There have been others in the past as well:

http://www.astronautix.com/n/n11gr.html