LAND 400 Phase 2 decision revealed

Rickshaw

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Australian Army LAND 400 Phase 2 decision revealed. And the winner is...

Boxer CRV with 35mm Turret.

C5YZocEWUAgAWcH.jpg

LAND-400.jpg

Slightly off-topic: please, explain, if it possible, why modern small-caliber cannon' barrels have been frequently surrounded by extrnal structures, like on this vehicle?

These rectangular cross-section boxes, with holes in it intended to be uses kind of additional protection?

Thanks in advance!

Silencer1 said:
Slightly off-topic: please, explain, if it possible, why modern small-caliber cannon' barrels have been frequently surrounded by extrnal structures, like on this vehicle?

These rectangular cross-section boxes, with holes in it intended to be uses kind of additional protection?

Thanks in advance!

No. They provide extra support to prevent barrel whip. Modern materials being what they are, to improve accuracy the thin barrel needs extra support.

Kadija_Man said:
No. They provide extra support to prevent barrel whip. Modern materials being what they are, to improve accuracy the thin barrel needs extra support.

Thank you, Kadija_Man!

Curiously, a classical IFV (BMP-2, Bradley, Warrior) has have a "unsupported" cannons, mounted in turret.
Why this changes in modern types?

Why the indentations on the hull side armor? What purpose could that serve being applied in the way it's applied? Part of it almost look like it's a handle, but there are also visible holes that go deeper...

totoro said:
Why the indentations on the hull side armor? What purpose could that serve being applied in the way it's applied? Part of it almost look like it's a handle, but there are also visible holes that go deeper...

I'd assume they're for attaching and detaching the armour.

Silencer1 said:
Kadija_Man said:

Thank you, Kadija_Man!

Curiously, a classical IFV (BMP-2, Bradley, Warrior) has have a "unsupported" cannons, mounted in turret.
Why this changes in modern types?

The need to hit pin-point targets. Previous weapons were meant to be infantry support weapons, rather than anti-armour weapons. That meant the weapon was intended to "spray" it's target somewhat, rather than necessarily hit something less than a metre square at 2000 metre ranges.

JFC Fuller said:
Is the 35mm gun confirmed? If so is it the WOTAN 35?

I thought the Rheinmettal bid used the 30mm gun?

Sorry, you're right, I'm wrong. It is the 30mm gun, not a 35mm gun. My mistake.

totoro said:

could be AMAP-ADS hardkill system. destroying inbound enemy rounds.

An update on the above story. Head Armoured Vehicle Division MAJGEN Jason Blain made clear during Senate Estimates yesterday:

"We never scoped to have any tank guided munitions fitted to our Block 1 vehicles. Again, in transition, as we move into Block 2, there is in the project scope and a plan to integrate an anti-tank guided munition system onto the Block 2 vehicle. We will have ATGMs, those missile systems, on our Block 2 fleet. It was never the case we'd have them on our Block 1 vehicles."

An update on the above story. Head Armoured Vehicle Division MAJGEN Jason Blain made clear during Senate Estimates yesterday:

"We never scoped to have any tank guided munitions fitted to our Block 1 vehicles. Again, in transition, as we move into Block 2, there is in the project scope and a plan to integrate an anti-tank guided munition system onto the Block 2 vehicle. We will have ATGMs, those missile systems, on our Block 2 fleet. It was never the case we'd have them on our Block 1 vehicles."

Well, that sounds better. Questions are how many Block 1 vs Block 2 vehicles are planned, and how long before Block 2 starts production?

25 Block 1s and 186 Block 2s. Block 2 production starts in the coming months I believe.

25 Block 1s and 186 Block 2s. Block 2 production starts in the coming months I believe.

Oh, that's not bad at all. Except for the media minder who let him make that initial statement without caveats in the first place.

I suspect Hanwha are behind the initial story given they are in competition with Rheinmetall for Land 400 Ph3 and would be the most to benefit from such sensationalist reporting.