Illustrations note Over 400 photos & drawings
ISBN10 1910809160
ISBN13 9781910809167

Attachments

• QQ??20180308112558.jpg
    QQ??20180308112558.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 748
Re: American Secret Projects 2: Airlifters Hardcover – December 15, 2018

OMG!!!...I'be been waiting for it all my life. Great news! :)

Nice one from Craig - a forum member - not entirely my thing but I'll give it a go :)

Nice! And I guess a big hat-tip is due to Chris Gibson for showing that folk will buy books on transport projects...

Any table of contents for preview??

Great!

but why volume II, given that there have been already 3 volumes in the ASP series?

best,

F_T

Ah....

Attachments

• blofeld_5.png
    blofeld_5.png
    93.2 KB · Views: 685

Looks like yet another forthcoming addition to my bookshelf.

I'm totally losing track of Crecy's renumbering. I guess from this we can take it that Tony's ASP: 1 & 2 won't be revised like the earlier BSP series?

Maybe Crecy should have just lost the volume numbers and added meaningful subtitles instead?

In fairness, I think ASP Transports was under way before Atlas. I only found out about it when I was looking into the RAF's interest in the C-5.

Chris

Wow,oh my God.

Formidable !

Hood said:

I'm totally losing track of Crecy's renumbering. I guess from this we can take it that Tony's ASP: 1 & 2 won't be revised like the earlier BSP series?

Maybe Crecy should have just lost the volume numbers and added meaningful subtitles instead?

I think I came up with a possible explanation for why it is number 2. The first and only volume published by Crecy is the one about WWII secret projects. If this is tru probably post-war bombers and fighters will be III and IV or higher if any volume is split in two.

Hood said:

1 and now 2 were Crecy releases. The previous ASP volumes were released by Ian Allan / Midland. The numbering is consistent. Rereleases of the old ASP volumes will be 3 and 4 most likely.

Bigger Cover – artwork by forum member Daniel Uhr.

Attachments

• American Airlifter Projects Cover.jpg
    American Airlifter Projects Cover.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 626

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
1 and now 2 were Crecy releases. The previous ASP volumes were released by Ian Allan / Midland. The numbering is consistent. Rereleases of the old ASP volumes will be 3 and 4 most likely.

Hopefully the volumes on fighters and bombers will be expanded and split (after all there was enough material for a volume including project only up to the 50's in "Early US Jet Fighters: Proposals, Projects and Prototypes") and perhaps volumes about strategic recon, hypersonics and son will be released.

ford_tempo said:
Hopefully the volumes on fighters and bombers will be expanded and split (after all there was enough material for a volume including project only up to the 50's in "Early US Jet Fighters: Proposals, Projects and Prototypes") and perhaps volumes about strategic recon, hypersonics and son will be released.

I actually hope not. As much as it is nice to have more info, it is annoying to already have a copy of a book only to have it updated and re-released. I want the new info but I don't want to purchase a book that I already have 95% or similar of. It would be nice, if an addendum could be released instead with the new info for those who already have purchased.

I agree with GTX specially when applies to the most expensive books.

May be a full new edition could be targeted to new readers, but it would be great to have also a sort of addendum edition for those who already purchased the original volume. Not easy, I understand, but probably fair. Jenkins "Space Shuttle" saw four editions growing in contents and price to an almost astronomical sum. I bought 1st and 3rd editions and I ended with disapointed after ending with the final edition. Next summer is going to be published the second edition of Friedman US submarines since 1945...

A second edition of British Secret Projects sixteen years after the first edition isn't too bad because price is affordable

pometablava said:
I agree with GTX specially when applies to the most expensive books.

May be a full new edition could be targeted to new readers, but it would be great to have also a sort of addendum edition for those who already purchased the original volume. Not easy, I understand, but probably fair.

The chance of that making *any* sort of financial sense is minimal to the point of nonexistence. The market would necessarily be smaller than for the whole book, while the production cost would be roughly the same even if it was only a small fraction of the length.

Jenkins "Space Shuttle" saw four editions growing in contents and price to an almost astronomical sum. I bought 1st and 3rd editions and I ended with disapointed after ending with the final edition.

I can't comprehend anyone being disappointed at the final edition of STS.

pometablava said:
Not easy, I understand, but probably fair. Jenkins "Space Shuttle" saw four editions growing in contents and price to an almost astronomical sum. I bought 1st and 3rd editions and I ended with disapointed after ending with the final edition. Next summer is going to be published the second edition of Friedman US submarines since 1945...

Dennis Jenkins’ Space Shuttle is a fantastic book...What makes you disappointed about it?

Yeah. What was wrong with it? Also, I wouldn't mind a AUS hypersonics volume

Did you not read the post?

He bought the 1st edition, which wasn't cheap. He bought the 3rd edition, which was more expensive. Now, the 4th edition is out, with yet more new information, even more expensive, he is supposed to buy the book again ($169) to get the additional information. How much is new and how much has he bought twice already?

To start with the obvious: there are limits to what I can afford, just as there are limits to the time I have to read.
I will sooner buy a book on a new interesting subject, or a completely new view of a subject than a revised edition of a book I already have - unless it's a big improvement on the earlier edition. Jay Miller's X-planes revisited was one such book.

At the moment, ASPv2 Airlifters is higher on my wish list than the upcoming revisions of BSP books already on my shelf. Reviews may change that. I wish I had the time and money to read everything, but I don't - so I make my choices. I'm happy with that, my recent purchases are thoroughly enjoyable.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
He bought the 1st edition, which wasn't cheap. He bought the 3rd edition, which was more expensive. Now, the 4th edition is out, with yet more new information, even more expensive, he is supposed to buy the book again ($169) to get the additional information. How much is new and how much has he bought twice already?

Exactly the dilemma. It would be interesting to do some numbers on how many extra 'sales' authors could get by also releasing addendums at the same time as new releases. Such addendum wouldn't need to by printed to the same standard either - a simple softcover would be more than sufficient I'm sure.

Tony Butter made an effort to include different pictures in the new editions where possible so even where the text was familiar some of the drawings are new.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Secret-Projects-2-Airlifters/dp/1910809160/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2

American Secret Projects 2: Airlifters Hardcover – December 15, 2018
by Craig Kaston & George Cox

This book charts the history of the US airlifter from its origins in World War II to today's transport giants. In doing so, it reveals and describes numerous designs which never saw the light of day, examining the thinking behind them and giving insights into why they did, or did not, succeed.
In many ways, this untold story of aviation history reflects both the changing face of conflict and the exercise of geo-political power; it has also had a major bearing on the development of civil aviation. The book has been made possible by the authors being given unprecedented access to major aerospace company archives, uncovering scores of design proposals which have never previously been revealed. It is profusely illustrated, much in full color, with artwork and three-view drawings extracted from manufacturers' archives and with photographs of original project models. As well as describing how airlifters were progressively developed to meet ever-more demanding military transport requirements, the book looks at other roles for which they were adapted, from nuclear test-beds to Space-Shuttle carriers.

This previously untold story describes over 200 unknown, or little known, designs, and contains over 400 illustrations detailing some of the largest and most incredible aircraft ever conceived.

Hardcover
$27.97

Attachments

• 41IzRr9vB4L.jpg
    41IzRr9vB4L.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 666

I just get a message, that delivery of my pre-order is
preponed to November, the 9th . Good news !

I look forward to this with ill-contained impatience. Looks terrific.

I can't wait for this title to be published; I can hardly breathe!

Terry (Caravellarella)

I ordered my copy on Amazon, and even though the expected release date has passed, Amazon has yet to issue a final shipping date for my order. Nevertheless, I look forward to seeing any possible unbuilt projects, including ultra-large airlifters or ground effect transports.

Yeah, they've re-stated the shipping date for me, now giving a range of dates covering February and most of March.

I just got an email from Amazon:

"Due to a lack of availability, we will not be able to obtain the following item(s) from your order:

Kaston, Craig "American Secret Projects 2: Airlifters"

So, what gives?

It just disappeared from my "Open Orders" with Amazon. I would love to know what happened.

Addendum: I do note that the latest printed catalog from Specialty Press, which came with my "Thunderchief" book, shows a July, 2019 date for this book.

Yeah, I just got the same e-mail as gatoraptor as well.

From http://www.crecy.co.uk/american-secret-projects-vol-2
PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
ISBN: 9781910809167
Binding: Hardback
Dimensions: 280mm x 210mm
Pages: 208
Photos/Illus: Over 400 photos & drawings
This product will be in stock on Tuesday 30. April, 2019.

is there any more books like this for airliners?

about US, Russia, France, UK or any...

Airliner variants always were treated as side-dish of military ones

It seems that not enough people is interested in commercial aircraft designs. In my opinion, enough interesting stuff for a full civil secret projects series.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stuck-Drawing-Board-Commercial-Revealing/dp/0752431722

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Concorde-Tony-Buttler/dp/1910809144

Derek Wood's Project Cancelled also has some airliner projects.

Amazon just canncelled my order also. I'm just trying to understand why because you can still get the book from Barnes & Noble. I guess I will have to keep checking with Amazon.

Back
Top Bottom