USMC concepts and programs

ford_tempo

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I am quite sure many of you will find this interesting but I am not sure what it is exactly

https://marinecorpsconceptsandprograms.com/sites/default/files/files/EABO%20Concept%20Toolkit%20(Public).pdf

I have also attached the document to this post for your concvenience

best

F_T

Attachments

• EABO Concept Toolkit (Public).pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 36

Attachments

• Marine Corp ACV.jpg
    Marine Corp ACV.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 143
ACV 1.1 does not actually replace the AAVs, at least not near-term. The AAVs are still getting a survivability upgrade that keeps it in service for another couple of decades. ACV 1.2 or later may replace AAV in the long-term, but the plan is really hazy right now.

Whatever the Marine Corps is planning, they still seem be baselining the ACV.

ACV testing at Camp Pendleton from March 2019.

And now a reconnaisance variant.

The ARV will achieve standoff with active and passive protective systems to sense, orient, classify, track, and defeat incoming rocket-propelled grenades, anti-tank guided missiles, and precision-guided munitions.

I must laugh at a "reconnaissance" vehicle that broadcast its presence to everyone within 300kms.

Reading the description it seems like there is no cohesive concept of operations so just throw everything onto it.

The ARV will achieve standoff with active and passive protective systems to sense, orient, classify, track, and defeat incoming rocket-propelled grenades, anti-tank guided missiles, and precision-guided munitions.

I must laugh at a "reconnaissance" vehicle that broadcast its presence to everyone within 300kms.

Reading the description it seems like there is no cohesive concept of operations so just throw everything onto it.

Information seems to be the dominant feature of combat superiority. Networking is key to that. Is it possible to network and communicate without "broadcasting to everyone within 300kms"? Or at least do so in a way that is too quick and irregular to track. I'm going to guess you can.

The point raised in the quote is actually about APS radar that can be picked up from ELINT from 300km away, and the need for coverage means it must broadcast everywhere. Don't think LPI tech can fundamentally change this.

The point isn't that the vehicle necessarily won't work, but with its armor, many protection systems and sizable weapons there is nothing that makes a specialized information gathering (recon) vehicle as opposed to just a general medium weight combat vehicle.

If the actual recon is supposed to be done by UAV and UGVs, it ought to be categorized as a command and control vehicle as opposed to a recon one.

The point raised in the quote is actually about APS radar that can be picked up from ELINT from 300km away, and the need for coverage means it must broadcast everywhere. Don't think LPI tech can fundamentally change this.

The point isn't that the vehicle necessarily won't work, but with its armor, many protection systems and sizable weapons there is nothing that makes a specialized information gathering (recon) vehicle as opposed to just a general medium weight combat vehicle.

If the actual recon is supposed to be done by UAV and UGVs, it ought to be categorized as a command and control vehicle as opposed to a recon one.

What kind of power does an APS radar need to detect something 200 feet away? Doesn't seem like it would have to be that much. These days, tank crews will probably opt for the APS vs whatever worries they had about people 300km away. Someone will have to demonstrate the ability to target long range missiles on a tank using their APS emissions to change their minds.

A command and control vehicle usually means something dedicated to battlefield direction. I assume a "reconnaissance" vehicle would have organic sensors but also would command UAV/UGV sensors as well. As for its armor and guns, I would guess it would be no more than a current Stryker with a 30mm cannon.

With the range of tank and support weapon main armament, a coupe of miles would probably do to give some kind of warning.