Need help with missile ID

circle-5

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
This missile belongs to a BAe Harrier Gr.3 RCS model. I don't know what it is. Can anyone in the SPF brain trust identify it?

It's possibly air-to-air, possibly British, about 7 feet long with 3 small angled fins (apparently to keep it spinning in flight). It features long fairings on both sides, likely for routing electrical or plumbing around the fuel section. I believe the Harrier Gr.3 was introduced in the early 1970s, so an RCS model of that aircraft would presumably date back to that period. The missile could be even older, like from the 1960s.

Attachments

• Harrier Missile.jpg
    Harrier Missile.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Harrier RCS Ordnance 03.jpg
    Harrier RCS Ordnance 03.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 154
That's a Phimat chaff dispenser pod, not a missile.

A chaff dispenser pod? Thanks guys – no wonder I couldn't find any info about it!

Tornado (and probably others) carry something similar:

Attachments

• Royal_Air_Force_Tornado_GR4.jpg
    Royal_Air_Force_Tornado_GR4.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 116
sferrin said:
Tornado (and probably others) carry something similar:

That's the BOZ pod, a larger combination chaff and flare dispenser. There's a new version (BOZ-EC) with missile approach warning built in as well.

I've often wondered why European air forces seemed to prefer podded decoy dispensers like Phimat and BOZ over the surface-mounted or internal dispensers found on many US aircraft. Seems like a big drag hit. Did the pods offer much more decoy capacity?

My favorite solution has been the very compact BOL dispenser that basically fits inside a Sidewinder launch rail. Seems like a good use of space.

https://saab.com/air/electronic-warfare/countermeasure-dispenser-systems/bol-advanced-countermeasure-dispenser/

Pods typically allow greater flexibility and have more decoys/chaff in them than the internally mounted ones. The Europeans appear well aware of the penalities but are willing to accept them because of the greater utility of the pods. The USAF prefers to carry more weapons.

Re: Got needed help with missile ID

Are the three little fixed, angled fins in the rear of the Phimat dispenser installed there to create turbulence at the chaff exit point? This might initially disperse and separate the chaff somewhat, but the fins appear both crude and draggy ... Matra design, I believe?

Re: Got needed help with missile ID

circle-5 said:
Are the three little fixed, angled fins in the rear of the Phimat dispenser installed there to create turbulence at the chaff exit point? This might initially disperse and separate the chaff somewhat, but the fins appear both crude and draggy ... Matra design, I believe?

Pods usually have fins to improve separation from the aircraft when dropped in an emergency.