McDonnell Douglas coplanar joined wings patent

Maki

Anytime Baby!!!
Reaction score
He is a McDonnell Douglas patent for aerodynamic bodies with coplanar joined wings. There are various configurations including variable geometry.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 180
  • Aerodynamic body having coplanar joined wings.pdf
    354.5 KB · Views: 44
Interesting find. First pic is 1:1 of that first Sensorcaft impression that has appeared first ever.

Attachments

• Sensorcraft1.jpg
    Sensorcraft1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 108
  • sensorcraft.jpg
    sensorcraft.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 113
I understand the CJW wing arranngement is good for sensor coverage, and possibly low observables. It seems to me, though, that you don't get any of the structural advantages of a joined wing. For that, you need wings that are out of plane. This still buys you two relatively high aspect ratio wings, but one ends up being in the wake of the other. Wouldn't you be better off with a pure delta, a la X-47?
Any comments?

Its probably because this plane would look really cool:

Attachments

• mcdd_asymet.gif
    mcdd_asymet.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 37
Seriously I would imagine the joined wing configuration would only be of advantage for a very high aspect ratio wing aircraft like the U-2 or RQ-4. By co-joining two wings (one higher than the other to avoid wake disturbance) you avoid bending stress of high AR and keep the aircraft within a reasonable size package.

flateric said:
Interesting find. First pic is 1:1 of that first Sensorcaft impression that has appeared first ever.

Boeing/McD actually flew a model of this in the late 90s as an internal "Project Diamond" program.