Putnam books, differences between editions

Pasoleati

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
How grreatly do e.g. the first and latest editions of Vickers Aircraft differ? The first is possibly from 1969, the latest 1988.

According to my standard Putnam reference - a database once available from the University of the West of Scotland - the second edition, which was subsequently reprinted twice, added 27 pages. Here are some comments from the database. I don't own the book myself.

"This updated and expanded edition contains more than 200 new photographs and an enlarged section of Vickers’ Projects. Since publication of the first edition research has enabled the list of Vickers Type numbers to be more complete, and the sections on the Viscount, Vanguard and VC.10 have been brought up to date. E.B. Morgan"
"The late C.F. Andrews … had access to a mass of unpublished material … This … has been augmented and updated by E.B. Morgan, who collaborated with Andrews on the first edition."

Thanks! Anyone with actual copies? As my interests are strongly in the true aeroplane era (propellers plus only the computer onboard being the pilot's brain), the info on post-war designs is of lesser importance.

I've got both. The differences are exactly as gatoraptor describes. More and different photographs, extended Projectssection and numerous small corrections/additives. I find the '88 version much more readable. However a true Putnam-fan ownes all the editions :) I'm not there yet, but i'm getting there.

It's back! For some reason the UWS database has a habit of disappearing and reappearing on their website. At the moment, it's back, so enjoy its coverage. It's not absolutely complete, but it's quite close.

http://www.specialcollections.uws.ac.uk/putnam_books.asp