The project of the Arctic atomic cargo submarine Moby Dick. 1962-1969.

P

pavel

The project of the Arctic atomic cargo submarine Moby Dick. Color and black and white technical section from the British children's magazine Eagle. Years 1962-69. Many thanks to the grandfather from Great Britain for his wonderful collection. The best technical children's magazine in the world. The artist is the permanent author of the magazine Popular Mechanics Sir Leslie Asheville Wood.

Large size illustration. Click on the picture for a strong increase.

Attachments

• 4 игл новое 2018 (117).jpg
    4 игл новое 2018 (117).jpg
    723.5 KB · Views: 527
  • 4 игл новое 2018 (140).jpg
    4 игл новое 2018 (140).jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 509
I remember the illustrations from the Eagle comic - they were truly amazing. I have to say I think the youngsters of today are missing out in part of their 'growing up' with such publications no longer being available, or if they are, looked on with distain by most youngsters who are products of the instant technology world.

I cannot for the life of me recall the original source material - (vague inkling that it was the 1963/4 edition of Janes Fighting Ships), I copied it long hand (pen and paper in those days) when I was a very frequent visitor to my local main city library in Portsmouth - they had and still do have an extensive collection of historic and more general Naval publications. Anyway - here is the 'data' I noted:

Project “Moby Dick”:
Proposed cargo-carrying submarine
50,000 tons displacement
28,000 tons deadweight
607 x 72 ft
Depth 72 ft
25kts (submerged)
Nuclear reactors (Boiling water type)
24 Officers and Men
Designed to operate at first at 300ft, could be used to transport oil or iron ore (or a mix?)
To be built by Fairfield’s for service in 1964.

For those who may not be familiar with who Fairfields were: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairfield_Shipbuilding_and_Engineering_Company

Should this be moved over to Naval Projects?

Back
Top Bottom