Register here

Author Topic: Creating your own scale drawings: How to.......  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Avimimus

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Creating your own scale drawings: How to.......
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 07:04:23 am »
The biggest challenge is producing an ortho/3-view from photographs taken at odd angles (especially when distance, camera used etc. are not known)!

I figure you'd have to work out the perspective and any lense artefacts, then find reference points for dimensions, and calculate the lengths of various lines based on the resulting 3d grid? Anyway, it is quite beyond me.

I'd love a three-view of the Demoiselle No.19 (the early one) or the Albessard Aerobus/Autostable or the Bonnet "Bordeaux" high performance bi-plane glider - but I rather lack the confidence.

I did gather a bunch of references though if anyone wants to give them a try! I think they certainly deserve it.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 07:09:13 am by Avimimus »

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2018, 08:08:55 am »
There seems to be a kind of standard, developed through the years.
Browsing through the Flight magazines of the year 1909, there already are very detailed drawings,
consisting of side view and a plan view from above, but also of side and front view. In most cases it should
be possible to reconstruct the other views with good accuracy, at least if the lateral position of the landing
gear can be derived from the view from above.
But maybe it was just based on the classical architect's drawing ? Nobody would make a drawing of a house
seen from the cellar ...
For myself, I like to have side views from both sides, at least if the aircraft has retractable landing gear, or
different details on both sides, like doors or windows. And plan views from above AND below. And a front view,
of course, the view from the rear may be nice, but actually is dispensable in most cases .   B)
A compromise, that works and saves space on the  sheet of paper, but isn't really nice to look at to my opinion,
is the split view, mating half of the view from above with half from below.

Working from photos is possible, accuracy is a function of number of photos, angle and availibilty of the basic
dimensions of the aircraft, you want to make a drawing of. Just one photo from an odd angle and no other data,
and you will get a rough estimation only. But if there are several photos and knowledge of at least length and span,
then you can reach a really good accuracy. It just takes some time ..
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline Hood

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2018, 08:35:49 am »
Top-views always seem to have been the norm, though of course there are a lot of half-half plans which show both on the same view, which can be confusing.

I guess the top has often been more exciting than the bottom which would just be control surfaces and undercarriage, while a top view shows the cockpit placement and window details.