USMC Next Generation Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle (ARV)

bring_it_on

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Armored Reconnaissance Vehicle (ARV)
Advanced Technology Development Future Naval Capability (FNC) Program
Science and Technology
Brief to Industry

https://www.scribd.com/document/369430054/ONR-Armored-Reconnaissance-Vehicle

Attachments

• ONR Armored reconnaissance vehicle_08.jpg
    ONR Armored reconnaissance vehicle_08.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 701
  • ONR Armored reconnaissance vehicle_9.jpg
    ONR Armored reconnaissance vehicle_9.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 692
  • ONR Armored reconnaissance vehicle.jpg
    ONR Armored reconnaissance vehicle.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 677
Great and quite familiar family of vehicles.
However, government, not business, needs to start paying for the very hard research for reliable wheeled/tracked vehicle. Cracking the quick reliable transition between the two is survival It may well take till the 2030s. Wheels alone means dependence on non muddy roads which also are full of IEDs, anti-tank systems, even 20mm+ equipt snipers. not survivable.

An unmanned, armored recce vehicle makes sense if you want it to sit in a hide/over watch position for a few days.
Otherwise, a quad-copter drone can provide a quick answer as to what is lurking on the other side of a hill.

An unmanned, armored recce vehicle makes sense if you want it to sit in a hide/over watch position for a few days.
Otherwise, a quad-copter drone can provide a quick answer as to what is lurking on the other side of a hill.

ARV isn't unmanned. Might have an optional unmanned mode but the slides above include a requirement to carry dismounted scouts.

With all the focus on large 8x8s, its interesting to see a new 6x6 concept. I wonder who they're partnering with, SAIC won one of the ARV study contracts, but Textron's also been pretty tight with Rheinmetall since joining Team Lynx.

carring dismounted scouts in unmanned mode seems to be what they are after so the vehicle is unmanned in an of itself. The scouts would not be operating the vehicle in that instance.

Though presumably they would have access to the sensors, as well as be able to request fire support from, or even be able to remotely command, the vehicle in an emergency.

carring dismounted scouts in unmanned mode seems to be what they are after so the vehicle is unmanned in an of itself. The scouts would not be operating the vehicle in that instance.

I don't see anything suggesting they planned a vehicle with dismounts but no crew. They talk about manned-unmanned teaming, which is pretty vague and could involve some unmanned ARVs, a smaller unmanned ground vehicle, or small UAVs.

Of course, given the content of the latest Force Design 2030, I think ARV is a program termination waiting to happen right now. They explicitly say they don't intend a one-for-one replacement of LAV-25, but want to roll the capability into the very nebulous Mobile Reconnaissance capability that looks like a return to jeep-mounted scouts, but this time running a bunch of UAVs and UGVs as well.

Last edited:
Is it another M114 - destined to never find a use?

Is it another M114 - destined to never find a use?
I don't think it has to be but the USMC seems so caught up in the transformation cult that they're not even ready to say they're committing to a new AFV yet.

All this talk about drones and networking is great and a necessity but ultimately you still need an AFV for those scouts that can return direct fire and protect against lighter threats.

I wonder why they went with a 6x6 configuration instead of 8x8? The Javelin launcher is nice but it really ought to have a 25mm or larger chain gun like on the LAV-25. They should probably go with either the 30mm Mk.44 or XM813.

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Marine Corps has chosen Textron Systems and General Dynamics Land Systems to begin contract negotiations to build advanced reconnaissance vehicle prototypes, the service announced July 16.
The Marine Corps will also work with BAE Systems to study the possibility of adapting an amphibious combat vehicle to become an advanced reconnaissance vehicle, or ARV.
Army Contracting Command-Detroit Arsenal in Michigan will award ARV other transaction authority contracts — which streamline the process for rapid prototyping — with the National Advanced Mobility Consortium if negotiations with Textron and GDLS are successful, said a Marine Corps statement.
Incumbent GDLS — which is the manufacturer of the Light Armored Vehicle-25 currently in service — said it submitted an ARV prototype proposal by the Corps’ May 3 deadline.
Textron said at the time of the solicitation deadline that it would compete with a prototype it already built and drove nearly 750 miles, dubbed “Cottonmouth.”

While the reporting is concentrating on the two selected competitors, I suspect BAE Systems has the home-field advantage given the Corps is going to be dependent on their APCs. Using the same chassis everyone else is already using is a considerable logistical, and therefore lifetime costs, advantage.

The ACV chassis is a lot bigger than what the Corps says they're looking for in this one.