Register here

Author Topic: Boeing hypersonic demonstrator model at AIAA SciTech 2018  (Read 2132 times)

Offline DrRansom

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
Re: Boeing hypersonic demonstrator model at AIAA SciTech 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 05:25:38 pm »

The only way you get from "unproven" to "proven" is to build hardware and test.  Waiting around for a miracle to land a "proven" hypersonic aircraft on a silver platter without doing anything will get you nowhere.

You misunderstand me, there are unproven technologies so we can't assess which project is ahead of the other.

However, the development program is vital as it shows what technologies need to be developed, a much better situation than the past where research was thrown without any idea what was necessary.

Heck, I think they should be going faster, make rocket boosted scramjet recon drone in parallel and faster than the combined cycle aircraft. The pentagon should plan for developing a hypersonic system every year to push development that fast, think of 1930s or 1950s development pace. Much if the problems will only be clarified and solved by building and deploying.

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline Flyaway

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Boeing hypersonic demonstrator model at AIAA SciTech 2018
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 08:12:12 am »
Hypersonic Race Heats With Boeing Reusable Demonstrator Concept

Boeing is raising the stakes in the accelerating race for U.S. hypersonic leadership by positioning itself to develop a potential future Mach 5-plus strike-and-reconnaissance aircraft. The move, which was signaled by the unexpected unveiling of a reusable hypersonic demonstrator concept vehicle at an aerospace science and research conference in Florida in early January, directly challenges Lockheed Martin. In 2013, Lockheed revealed plans to develop a Mach 6 successor to the long-retired ...

http://m.aviationweek.com/defense/hypersonic-race-heats-boeing-reusable-demonstrator-concept