Register here

Author Topic: Boeing hypersonic demonstrator model at AIAA SciTech 2018  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Moose

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Boeing hypersonic demonstrator model at AIAA SciTech 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 04:49:44 pm »
Boeing's design looks better, but for advantage? We're so far away from having certain key technologies ready that one can hardly tell when this project will go forward.

Most of the technology is here just in different places. Itís more a case of getting the disparate parts to work together as anything else.

A key technology for the airplane is totally unproven, part of it is unproven at scale. There are other, less obvious but still critical, gaps as well.

The only problem with that proposition is the assumption that we know everything thatís been developed for these projects, which by their very natures seems unlikely.

New article with a Boeing illustration of the concept.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/amp15070935/boeing-hypersonic-concept-replace-sr-71-blackbird/
Indeed. This isn't a napkin sketch and the work behind it did not just come into existence this week.

Offline kcran567

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 05:12:54 pm »
All the good engineers going to China? Seems they are making all the bold moves these days. First operational Hypersonic Glide Vehicle in a ballistic missile, DF-17...other examples. Seems the US is falling behind. This model does "look" a little strange. And like someone mentioned why the area ruling. Looks more like a student design project than anything else.

And their (China) hypersonic concept, along with DF-17

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:23:27 pm by kcran567 »

Offline DrRansom

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • I really should change my personal text
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 05:25:38 pm »

The only way you get from "unproven" to "proven" is to build hardware and test.  Waiting around for a miracle to land a "proven" hypersonic aircraft on a silver platter without doing anything will get you nowhere.

You misunderstand me, there are unproven technologies so we can't assess which project is ahead of the other.

However, the development program is vital as it shows what technologies need to be developed, a much better situation than the past where research was thrown without any idea what was necessary.

Heck, I think they should be going faster, make rocket boosted scramjet recon drone in parallel and faster than the combined cycle aircraft. The pentagon should plan for developing a hypersonic system every year to push development that fast, think of 1930s or 1950s development pace. Much if the problems will only be clarified and solved by building and deploying.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 06:32:40 pm »
All the good engineers going to China? Seems they are making all the bold moves these days. First operational Hypersonic Glide Vehicle in a ballistic missile, DF-17...other examples. Seems the US is falling behind. This model does "look" a little strange. And like someone mentioned why the area ruling. Looks more like a student design project than anything else.

I think it's less a matter of "good engineers" than it is having a willingness to accept risk if it means gaining more capability.  "Risk" is a terrifying 4-letter word in the DoD. 
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Online bring_it_on

• I really should change my personal text
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 06:50:36 pm »

Second image:

http://spaceref.com/aeronautics/darpa-htv-2-second-test-flight-report-released.html
Old radar types never die; they just phased array - Unknown

Offline flateric

• Deputy Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 12:02:20 am »
All the good engineers going to China? Seems they are making all the bold moves these days.
Adding 'WU-14' and "DF-17' on Lockheed Martin and DARPA renderings?
"There are many disbelievers in
stealth, more than a few of them truly technically ignorant and proud of it." Sherm Mullin, Skunk Works

Offline dark sidius

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 12:20:28 am »
Yes , Lockheed design nothing to see with  China , in hypersonic I think USA is still decade ahead of China, it's still difficult for China to build a jet engine for the J-20 so I don't see them build a TBCC engine.

Offline circle-5

• Concept Models Guy
  • Top Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 09:16:00 am »
All the good engineers going to China? Seems they are making all the bold moves these days.
Adding 'WU-14' and "DF-17' on Lockheed Martin and DARPA renderings?

Ha!  Good catch there, Grigory!

Offline kcran567

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 04:52:12 pm »
 B) Goodness  :o mislabelled or did China borrow the sketch.

WU-14 (DF-ZF)

Offline martinbayer

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 07:03:31 am »
B) Goodness  :o mislabelled or did China borrow the sketch.

WU-14 (DF-ZF)

Nah - they would never do anything remotely like that!!!

Martin
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.