DB021 turboprop

maxmwill

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Some time ago, I bought a 1/32 Unicraft resin DB021 turboprop engine. Actually, the kit contained 2 engines, ostensibly for a pair of conversions, an Me262 and an Ar234. While those in and of themselves were intriguing enough for future plans, my thought was to convert an Fw190D over to a possible turboprop version, which got me to thinking if there ever was such a proposal, or even a Ta152.

I'll say this much, that engine sure extends the overall length of the 190 by quite a margin.

Thoughts on this, everyone?

Yes.

And it's been making me wonder if this would've been a viable mod.

Something about the DB021. It was a development of the HeS 011, code named Pollux("Jet Planes of the 3rd Reich", authors J. Richard Smith and Eddie J. Creek, published by Monogram Aviation Publications, 1982. I got this when it was first published, and it is still quite informative. Not sure if anyone here has a copy, so now you know what to look for in Amazon, EvilBay, or other purveyors of used books(not sure if it has been reprinted since).
According to the book, there were also a development of the Junkers 012, the 022, and the BMW 028, a monster that was to have an output of some 6,800 hp, and drove an 8 blade contraprop.

Here is a side cut.

Attachments

• Daimler Benz DB-021.jpg
    Daimler Benz DB-021.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 458
Me-262 with DB021 turboprop. The model in 1/72.

Attachments

• IMG_9387w.jpg
    IMG_9387w.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 345
maxmwill said:
my thought was to convert an Fw190D over to a possible turboprop version, which got me to thinking if there ever was such a proposal, or even a Ta152.

It is my dream to build or acquire an FW-190D replica and convert it to the most powerful turboprop that could fit, hopefully something in the 4000 HP range.

A boy can dream......... ;D

Welp, decide on the scale(I think Igor discontinued one of the scales), the order the relevant DB-021, and play with the silly thing. And, as the kit has 2 021s, you can use it in that Bf-109, or even an He-100. And, as the scales are 1/72, 1/48, and 1/32, any of the twin engine bombers might be fun to play with(a DB-021 powered Do-217W, the float version of the 217 that was proposed early in its development).

Now, about the Unicraft kit, there are a few things to address(I think that to some here, I might be preaching to the choir), such as the intake bullets. Those are not round, but rather flattened on both sides. While you could build them up with putty and spin on a Dremel, I found that the spinner from a 190(doesn't matter what scale, just one that fits) looks pretty good(the proper term being TLAR, or that looks about right, a term used a lot by the government), with minimal work being needed to make it look right, and then there are the fan blades in the intake, the ones in the kit looking like fat ovals, and nothing even remotely aerodynamic, so I prefer card stock. Looks better, and gives a better feel as to what the full size version might've looked like.

I've heard a lot of completes about Unicraft kits, and I agree, they really are terrible kits, and if you look at them with that in mind, you'll get the disappointment you're expecting. However, if you "hold your nose", and look at the kits as wonderful subjects that just need a bit more(sometimes a lot) of extra work(I love how there are all kinds of accessories "out there", resin, pe, that sort of thing, and there are a lot of modellers who seem to know nothing else when it comes to building a better scale model. But, when I was growing up, there were no such critters. You want a nice scale model, you started with the kit, then used your wits, imagination, talent, and skills to add whatever "bells and whistles" you could scrounge to your heart's content. Such as cylinder jugs. It's amazing what you can do with some thread on a piece of rod stock, It looks a lot like cylinder fins. And I'm getting to the point where I don't use a lot of pe supplied with a kit, because ignition wires are not flat, nor are push rods. And loops that seat belts are attached to are not flat, but a tiny wire half loop works better(especially on something like the Bf-108, where the seat belt attachments are so prominent). Sometimes the more modren stuff just won't cut it.

And now for a private gripe. Given that pe and resin are so readily available, why can't we get wind screen wipers? They are available for the model car fanatics, but you want wipers on that 1/48 Jet Ranger, you ass out unless you make them. Pe would be good for that, although resin might be better(lot of metal folding if pe). And louvers. Yeah, I get it, they are too small to worry about. But louvers would set a model off, such as a Couzinet Arc En Ciel airliner, which has louvers all over the nacelles(I am kicking around an idea for a 1/48 or 1/32 Couzinet. There is an old Heller kit, 1/72, I think, that is quite rare). Everyone seems to think that Connie is the most beautiful airliner ever built, but I would beg to differ, as the Couzinet airliners look like really classy French Ladies of the Evening, and down right sexy. ;)

maxmwill, forget the Unicraft ones, go with this one from Prop & Jet, if you contact the owner he will re-pop them.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/72-prop-jet-resin-ww-ii-db-021-161610472

The reviews of it from some people who have the conversion are that it's very good

Before you mentioned it, all I knew was that Unicraft was the only outfit that offered it(them). Do you have a link to their site?

All I can find. Some other modellers on other forums have just recently bought this conversion but had to contact the owner first.

https://www.facebook.com/PropJet-475396205882045/