Register here

Author Topic: Building Concorde - Tony Buttler - Crecy  (Read 2785 times)

Offline ov-101

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Building Concorde - Tony Buttler - Crecy
« on: December 20, 2017, 08:27:22 pm »

Concorde remains one of the most iconic and most beautiful aeroplanes ever to take to the skies and as a result many aspects of its development and its operational career have been covered frequently both in books and magazine articles.

However, this book provides genuinely new perspectives on the Concorde programme as it explores how this great aeroplane came into being, concentrating both on the design and development aspects of the aircraft and on the political background to this exercise in Anglo-French collaboration.

Early chapters look at the various supersonic transport proposals mooted both in Britain and France before Concorde. The following sections examine areas relating to the practical difficulties of supersonic flight such as supersonic booms. The narrative then moves on to how the British and French work was merged into a single programme.

Later portions of the book describe the flight test programme leading up to service entry in 1976 and the text is complimented by an extensive range of photographs and drawings, a great many of which are previously unpublished.

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
ISBN: 9781910809143
Binding: Hardback
Dimentions: 290mm x 216mm
Pages: 150
Photos/Illus: Over 350 Illustrations
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:29:32 pm by ov-101 »

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: New Book-‘Building Concorde’ by Tony Buttler
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 11:18:03 pm »
Truly iconic aircraft for general aerospace enthusiasts and unbuilt projects fans in particular because of its long development covering many concepts and designs from British and French best enginering teams. A very wellcome book, no doubt!. *

Congratulations and thanks Mr Buttler.

Is the book already available?

(*) To me, however, the definitive book would be "SST the dream of supersonic airliner. 1st Gen: origins to Concorde, Tu-144 and B-2707, 2nd Gen in 80's to 90's and XXI Century mini SST"

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 11:53:28 pm »
Truly iconic aircraft for general aerospace enthusiasts and unbuilt projects fans in particular because of its long development covering many concepts and designs from British and French best enginering teams. A very wellcome book, no doubt!. *

Congratulations and thanks Mr Buttler.

Is the book already available?

(*) To me, however, the definitive book would be "SST the dream of supersonic airliner. 1st Gen: origins to Concorde, Tu-144 and B-2707, 2nd Gen in 80's to 90's and XXI Century mini SST"

Seems like a must-buy to me. Amazon claims May 2018 but… who knows. Not out yet at any rate.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:39:27 pm »
From Tony Buttler:

The book has now been delivered [to the publisher] and should be out sometime I would guess around June/July/August. JC Carbonel's contribution has been immense!
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline bercr

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:55:08 pm by bercr »

Offline newsdeskdan

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 01:34:51 am »
merged

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
Re: Building Concorde - Tony Buttler - Crecy
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 01:40:27 am »
Seems to be already available. Still nobody reviewed or commented it.

Think I'm going to place the first order  ;)

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 03:44:50 am »
Seems to be already available. Still nobody reviewed or commented it.

Think I'm going to place the first order  ;)

Damn - been waiting so long for this - order placed!

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 04:18:15 am »
Well, it arrived this morning and I have to say... WOW! This is basically:

Concorde - the British and French Secret Projects! (with some stuff about building Concorde tacked on)

Chapter 1 opens with the Miles SST (!), then goes onto the Armstrong Whitworth M-wing designs with original drawings, Avro's 735, Short's PD 22 and 29, Vickers Project X, Bristol's various Type 198s including VTOL version, de Havilland's DH 130, English Electric's P 30, Handley Page HP.128, Vickers-Supermarine Type 586/587 and Hawker Siddeley Type 1000, Type 1011, Type 1023 - ending with the Bristol Type 223.

Then Chapter 3 has all the French equivalents - lots of original Super Caravelles with canards from Sud, Dassault's version, Nord's MCS.2, a twin-tail Nord Mach 3 proposal, the military Super Caravelle etc.

Chapter 4 has some great (and previously unknown to me) American stuff including the Convair 58-9, Douglas Model 2229, an unknown Lockheed SST, North American M-3000 etc.

The second half of the book is the usual stuff about actually building Concorde. But the first half... pure secret projects gold!

Highly recommended!

EDIT: Shame about the cover though. Talk about underselling it!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 04:36:26 am by newsdeskdan »

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 12:55:31 pm »
Book received. First impression: gorgeous! Lots of nice, clear, big images for our enjoyment. A comprehensive coverage of the program with lots of unbuilt designs.

Great thanks to the authors

Offline gatoraptor

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 02:12:54 pm »
So the content of the book is really more like "Designing and Building Concorde"?  About what percentage of the book is devoted to each?

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 12:29:40 pm »
Contents

Offline martinbayer

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 06:20:25 pm »
Then Chapter 3 has all the French equivalents - lots of original Super Caravelles with canards from Sud, Dassault's version, Nord's MCS.2, a twin-tail Nord Mach 3 proposal, the military Super Caravelle etc.

Hello Dan,

is the military Super Caravelle the same as shown in https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27908.msg311508.html#msg311508 ?

Martin
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:36:55 pm by martinbayer »
Would be marching to the beat of his own drum, if he didn't detest marching to any drumbeat at all so much.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 11:23:14 am »

Hello Dan,

is the military Super Caravelle the same as shown in https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,27908.msg311508.html#msg311508 ?

Martin

No - looks quite similar but the tail fin and various small details are different.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 12:04:21 pm by newsdeskdan »

Offline elmayerle

• Aerospace Engineer
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 08:32:48 pm »
Just received my copy from Specialty Press and I agree and concur with all the laudatory comments above.  I was especially intrigued by Dassault's entry which, to my eye, certainly resembles a scaled-up NAA Navaho missile.

Offline uk 75

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 06:35:45 am »
Dear Tony and JC (as well as George Cox)

Bought myself this book in Foyles this morning and it brightened up a long bus ride back to Oxford.  Lots of excellent information and drawings, and the lovely models from the Cox Collection make this a must have.

All the best for 2019 and your future projects

Offline Caravellarella

• Farfadet/Korrigan
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 09:23:42 am »
I received a copy for Christmas from my sister; as far as I can tell, the Concorde (in its original form) is nearly all Super Caravelle and very little BAC 223......

Terry (Caravellarella)
Because L'ORÉAL keeps telling me I'm worth it......
I can scarcely contain my indifference......
Maybe it's MAYBELLINE......
Vamp till ready......
RIMMEL; get the London Look......

Offline Antonio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 11:46:58 am »
I really love the book and I ask myself: are there any plans for an American SST Story book?

Offline Hobbes

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 10:00:01 am »
I just finished reading this, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

So the content of the book is really more like "Designing and Building Concorde"?  About what percentage of the book is devoted to each?

chapter 1-4: initial proposals by British and French firms, plus a chapter on the American plans

chapter 5: setting up the BAC-Sud cooperation

chapter 6: research

chapter 7: noise investigations (test flights)

chapter 8: support aircraft

chapter 9: test flights using the prototypes and preproduction aircraft

chapter 10: orders, cancelled orders and passenger service

It's mostly about the research, design and development process, production is talked about in chapters 5-6.

as far as I can tell, the Concorde (in its original form) is nearly all Super Caravelle and very little BAC 223

Funny, I got the impression that esp the aerodynamics owed a lot to BAC research (they were the first to come up with the no-canards option by shaping the wing just so and introducing the fuel transfer system).

Online sferrin

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2019, 10:21:23 am »
I really love the book and I ask myself: are there any plans for an American SST Story book?

If they did I'd hope it included some of the whacky early ideas like B-58 derivations (including flying people in the pod), XB-70 variants, etc.  I'd buy it for sure.
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline gatoraptor

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 06:07:15 am »
If they did I'd hope it included some of the whacky early ideas like B-58 derivations (including flying people in the pod), XB-70 variants, etc.  I'd buy it for sure.

This book will take care of one of those requests: http://up-ship.com/blog/?p=11340