Big Gemini and Gemini SSTO - 1:96 Scale

SAustin16

Bravo to All Brave Test Pilots
Reaction score
Hello to All,

As a kid in the 1960's with both parents highly involved in aviation and activities at Edwards AFB, I have always been fascinated with the Gemini Program. The Gemini Era was a very exciting time. Gemini was always considered a "Pilot's Spacecraft", where Apollo was the next step with its own certain design elegance.

Here are several 1:96 scale Gemini variants I've been working on. These are a tribute to Gus Grissom and all of the McDonnell Douglas engineers who never got to see these craft built and flying.

Two variants of Big Gemini, to re-supply the envisioned space stations, and the Gemini SSTO (Single Stage to Orbit). All of these are my "first builds" and of very rough craftsmanship. My eye sight isn't what it used to be, and it really shows on these 1:96 scale builds.

I started to model the SSTO landing gear (telescoping tubes), but the 1:96 design was very weak and unstable...I decided to proceed with the "in flight" version.

A Big Texas Thank You to Giuseppe "Archipeppe" De Chiara for his brilliant illustrations as source for the both Big Gemini designs.

The RCS systems are always time-consuming and very fiddly. On the SSTO i used scrap wood and toothpick ends to model in 3D (Thank you David Hanners for this idea). They came out OK, but hours of work. On the Big Gemini I tried to model 2D RCS quadrants in MS Word, but they are only acceptable when looking straight on...they really lack realism when viewed at an angle.

More Gemini models to come.

Hope you enjoy...Good Day from Texas.

Attachments

• Gemini Trio.JPG
    Gemini Trio.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 418
  • Gemini Trio2.JPG
    Gemini Trio2.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 402
  • Gemini - BackEnds.JPG
    Gemini - BackEnds.JPG
    238.7 KB · Views: 384
  • Gemini SSTO.JPG
    Gemini SSTO.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 358
Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your kind words.

I've been modeling aerospace subjects since I was 4 years old, and to this day there is a certain satisfaction in seeing a completed design in solid 3D versus an illustration. The advent of 3d design programs has made model design so much more efficient and enjoyable.

Happy Holidays to you from Texas.

I'm a die hard fan of Big Gemini, notably the Titan III variant. We need more pictures !!