US Navy’s UCLASS / CBARS / MQ-XX / MQ-25 Stingray Program

aero-engineer said:
bring_it_on said:

It would be quite a hoot if it is that submerged inlet version of the Boeing UCLASS design they showed in a graphic once.

This one?

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 370
Could it be that the wings are folded the Grumman way (think Wildcat/Hellcat but with a wing having a very high aspect ratio)?
What do you think guys?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17024/could-phantom-swift-be-the-aircraft-boeing-defense-is-set-to-reveal-next-week

bobbymike said:
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17024/could-phantom-swift-be-the-aircraft-boeing-defense-is-set-to-reveal-next-week

"As you can see in the tweeted image above, the latest configuration of the Phantom Swift sure resembles what's poking up under Boeing's black sheet. With the top inlet doors closed the form factor of its fuselage looks pretty similar and the V-tails being as thick as they are, the aircraft's wings could be entirely blocked in the teaser video"

Erm.... except that these hypothetical wings don't cast a shadow on the floor in that teaser video. For me, the shadow (or lack thereof) indicates that if this isn't Santa's sleigh, then the wings are mounted towards the rear of the mystery thing (Boeing bird of prey style?).

There's been lots of discussion on the UCLASS thread that this type of configuration (lacking a control moment arm) is far from ideal for a tanker aircraft. Whilst I'm not qualified to judge the veracity of that claim, it would seem to me that the application of thrust vectoring might counter that argument?

That being said, I fear this will all turn out to be a disappointment

Mat Parry said:

... it would seem to me that the application of thrust vectoring might counter that argument?

Thrust vectoring sounds expensive. Is it too expensive for this tanker role?

Well.. The NYT lead article is on UFO's today. Just saying. Coincidence?

NeilChapman said:
Mat Parry said:

... it would seem to me that the application of thrust vectoring might counter that argument?

Thrust vectoring sounds expensive. Is it too expensive for this tanker role?

Yes I would think so, and with stealth removed from the requirements I really can't see why they would use such a planform.

I'm guessing Bob225 had it right downthread

It's not a Phantom Swift or anything STOVL. If it was it wouldn't need the navy landing gear, especially a nose gear designed for being catapulted.

dark sidius said:
FA/XX demonstrator ? thinking it for the change of futur airpower.
Air Power encompasses all aspects of the Air Force mission

I wouldn't get too carried away by marketing. If this thing really was "Robust, Ready, Changing future air power" then the military not Boeing would be unveiling it.

Hell, the pic reveals so little, I'm still just trying to figure out if has a BOP type wing, or if it's just the cameraman taking a pic so close that a V-Tail blocks the view of the main wing. I guess we'll know next Friday.

The Pentagon has funded advanced prototyping efforts under the Aerospace Innovation Initiative via DARPA's APO though it is unlikely that this is one of those projects as they haven't yet revealed much.

Could this be it? Although it needs some obligatory T-800s Model 101'a to pose with it.
Boeing-VTOL-X-Plane-Concept_800_ble5zf

sferrin said:
Where's the fuel and payload go in that thing? ???

That's only the concept artwork floating around. Probably not much different than any other VTOL, or they are using the entire fuselage empty space for fuel. A lot easier to do with a simple small composite craft. If that's it, outfit it with 8 hellfire and a kick ass sensor suite, and go kick terrorist ass!

Possible Swift X

Attachments

• TECHWEEK22_1_GrahamWarwick-AWST.jpg
    TECHWEEK22_1_GrahamWarwick-AWST.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 317
There isn't an apparent wing, so if Boeing was being really aggressive, a Swift-X with a lifting body and jet engine.

Here's another thought, part of Boeing's T-X proposal is Boeing promising to build a clean sheet aircraft design in record time. This may be an attempt to show that the tools created for T-X are generalizable to other programs.

Once again, it isn't the Swift X. If so, the designers made a huge error by putting a catapult launching landing gear on it. If anything, it's a program we don't know about or it's their submission for the MQ-25.

Sundog said:
Once again, it isn't the Swift X. If so, the designers made a huge error by putting a catapult launching landing gear on it. If anything, it's a program we don't know about or it's their submission for the MQ-25.

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, but do you know for a fact because it has catapult landing gear that it isn't Switft-X? It will never need to use a catapult for a short take off when heavily laden with fuel and weapons?

I'm still betting on Swift-X.

Do you know examples of V/STOL vehicles that use catapults? Typically they can just do a short rolling takeoff when a runway is available.
As a designer, i wouldn't want to saddle my airplane with all the penalties of a VTOL powerplant, AND put the beefy structure required to drag the whole vehicle by the nosegear, which is substantially more than a land-based equivalent.

Robust, ready ...I would rather guess a refurbished x-45c as a carrier capable technology demonstrator (landing gear!) and/or avionics test bed for the MQ-25 programme B)

Attachments

• x-45_joint_hero.jpg
    x-45_joint_hero.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 246
VTOLicious said:
Robust, ready ...I would rather guess a refurbished x-45c as a carrier capable technology demonstrator (landing gear!) and/or avionics test bed for the MQ-25 programme B)

The photo was taken in St Louis (look at the hangers). X-45 Phantom Ray hitchhiked out to California for the three flights on the back of NASA's SCAs (now retired).

Simply blowing the dust off the UCLASS vehicle in storage the last few years to strengthen Boeing's MQ-25 bid.

I've never seen the details of the wing fold on an X-45C, anyone else?

FWIW, When it was last seen the X-45C had a single nose wheel and some skinny main gear, does adding the F-18's undercarriage to an aircraft count as "blowing the dust off"?

VTOLicious said:

That would qualify as click-bait IMO if they did that.

I actually think the exhausts of the X-45C and the mystery thing are quite a good match, a picture of the wing fold on the X-45C would be compelling.

However, as mentioned previously here and in the UCLASS thread. A flying wing may not be the optimal configuration for a carrier based tanker once stealth is removed from the requirements.

Mat Parry said:
I actually think the exhausts of the X-45C and the mystery thing are quite a good match, a picture of the wing fold on the X-45C would be compelling.

However, as mentioned previously here and in the UCLASS thread. A flying wing may not be the optimal configuration for a carrier based tanker once stealth is removed from the requirements.

I'd think the fact that NG bailed with their X-47B would suggest the last thing Boeing would be putting forward would be a Phantom Ray derivative.

Airplane said:
Sundog said:

Excuse my lack of knowledge on this, but do you know for a fact because it has catapult landing gear that it isn't Switft-X? It will never need to use a catapult for a short take off when heavily laden with fuel and weapons?

I'm still betting on Swift-X.

Then it's a losing bet, because STOVL/VTOL are more weight critical than a CTOL. As such, you don't put a landing gear designed for cats and traps on a non CTOL aircraft. This is most likely their MQ-25 demonstrator.

AeroFranz said:
Do you know examples of V/STOL vehicles that use catapults? Typically they can just do a short rolling takeoff when a runway is available.
As a designer, i wouldn't want to saddle my airplane with all the penalties of a VTOL powerplant, AND put the beefy structure required to drag the whole vehicle by the nosegear, which is substantially more than a land-based equivalent.

A wise man once said, there is a first time for everything. Over 40 years I have seen and heard enough to never say never in aviation.

AeroFranz said:
Do you know examples of V/STOL vehicles that use catapults?

No, but wasn't the naval version of the Hawker P.1154 at least intended to be cat launched ?

The strande thing is, it have a very short lenght for a MQ-25 demonstrator , today may be end of the speculation.