Register here

Author Topic: Big changes coming to Secret Projects Forum soon....  (Read 4401 times)

Offline seruriermarshal

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Big changes coming to Secret Projects Forum soon....
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 03:58:12 am »
Web site name will change ?

Offline starviking

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 06:58:49 am »
2- Also wonder whether there should be some cleanup and re-organization?  And maybe a clarification of the purposes of the forum.
When we are going always deeper into reposts of wikipedia articles, unashamedly verbatim poor machine-translation, it's probably time to clarify what this place is all about.  https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8557.msg320899.html#msg320899

I take a different viewpoint. In the example you give, a member certainly has posted a machine translation of both an Italian Wiki page, and a Japanese page. It does not seem to be a repost - at least not in the specific thread, and does not seem to have met with any adverse comments from other contributors to the thread.

Just yesterday I had to dip into Web Archive to try and retrieve a copy of a website I had gone to often in the past. The site hosts had put a divert on the page, and all copies in the archive were updated to the divert - all the information lost! Wiki posts may be very simple to do - but we cannot guarantee the information will be there 10 years down the line.

Offline NeilChapman

• Interested 3rd party
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 12:02:20 pm »
Paul,

Typically there are just a few reasons to make this sort of change...

1.  No support for the old stuff

2.  Need the features of the new stuff

3.  You just want something new

I have pencil on my desk.  Seems to be working well.

So, since you're determined to go through with it, don't muck it up!   ;)

N

Offline steelpillow

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • So many projects, so little time...
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 12:24:44 pm »
What new features will the upgrade bring? Seems a lot of work if it looks quite like this one already.

I certainly like the idea of cacheing all those external images against web rot - some of them are mine and I daren't reorganise my dropbox for this very reason.
Cheers.

Offline sferrin

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 12:36:15 pm »
What new features will the upgrade bring? Seems a lot of work if it looks quite like this one already.

I certainly like the idea of cacheing all those external images against web rot - some of them are mine and I daren't reorganise my dropbox for this very reason.

Be thankful you don't have Photobucket.  :'(  Most of my links are going to go kerplooey at the end of the year.  Not willing to pony up $400 to keep using their hot-linking service. (2000-ish pics that I've posted here and there over the years.)
"DARPA Hard"  It ain't what it use to be.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 11:11:13 pm »
There are a number of new features, better support for mobile devices is one of them, much better integration to social media is another.  It will be tested thoroughly before cutover and it won't happen if it isn't an improvement.

It is likely that topics read status will be lost. I'm not sure why this is terribly relevant though? You'd just mark everything read on first visit, then it will work as normal going forward - or am I missing a use case here?

"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline steelpillow

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 12:27:29 am »
much better integration to social media.
I regard that as more of an annoyance than an improvement. It's not hard to copy-paste a topic's url into a Facebook post. The price paid for making it even easier is to have social media cross-site scripts data mining your user accounts and pretending they are "anonymising" it all. Ah, well, the price of progress.

It is likely that topics read status will be lost. I'm not sure why this is terribly relevant though? You'd just mark everything read on first visit, then it will work as normal going forward - or am I missing a use case here?
Even if you warn everybody personally, there will be those who cannot access the old forum in its last days. Once migrated, they will not find it easy to identify its unread posts from the ones they have already read. A chronologically ordered list of all posts makes it possible but, after a reasonable amount of new forum posts have built up, would become tiresome to trawl back through. Can I suggest that you lock forum posting for, say, a couple of days before changing over, to give us more time to catch up on our reading?
Cheers.

Offline dan_inbox

• Profanity: weaker mind trying to speak forcefully
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 01:06:35 am »
There are a number of new features, better support for mobile devices is one of them, much better integration to social media is another.  It will be tested thoroughly before cutover and it won't happen if it isn't an improvement.

Integration to social media looks more like pollution than progress to me, but I must be in a minority.
Seeing the level of plainly-wrong information posted on social sites Pinterest Flickr and such, with troves of users both crassly ignorant and eager-to-show-off, would more integration bring really a welcome additional audience?

For the read status,  I'm old school: I use it to track the topics I haven't read yet (what a concept!).  Some areas of the forum I try to follow day-to-day, like the Secret Projects and General sections. Other sections I browse less often, say once a month or so (in Avionics I'm actually years behind).  The status is useful to me when I go back to such a section.
Don't let that slow you down. If you can't preserve it, I'll survive...

I take a different viewpoint. In the example you give, a member certainly has posted a machine translation of both an Italian Wiki page, and a Japanese page.
There is an in-principle question of quality vs quantity, and the quality has been a few times down to outright sloppiness, like reposts of wikipedia with typos added. Posting machine translation without cleanup is simply sloppy too.

As I remember Paul prided himself on the higher signal-to-noise ratio, which I agree is the distinctive uniqueness of this forum. Sloppy posts and Quality-over-Quantity just lower it. 

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 01:13:29 am »
Interesting - I typically either search for things I am after or just view new stuff via the 20 ''recent posts'' at the bottom of the main page. If its a new recent post, clearly I haven't read it yet, so the read/unread status thing is irrelevant, while if I'm searching for something, again if I've read the topic before is irrelevant. Social media integration is for me only two things - one, let users use their existing Facebook or Google logon to sign up to the forum and not have to create specific username/password, and two, the ability for users to easily share a topic into Facebook or Twitter.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 01:17:35 am by PaulMM (Overscan) »
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline Michel Van

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 03:59:17 am »
To be honest
i look traditional into Forum, quick look below into "Secret Projects Forum - Info Center"
then i look usual topics Early, postwar Aircrafts, Space projects etc. for unread marks

Google+ i use to but not for looking into Secret Projects Forum or other Forums
General to get information or to sign up to forums or Disqus or games.

i have not a Facebook account ! 
I love Strange Technology

Offline Schneiderman

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 04:19:11 am »
OK, I'm old-school but I strongly agree with the posts above regarding the advantage of 'integration' with social media.  There is a place for Facebook etc but frankly I don't think it has much to do with a forum such as this one. I am already seeing a significant devaluation in threads with several posts just parroting material from Wiki,and enhanced links to social media will probably just result in further recycling of the well-know, easily located and, frankly, erroneous. A pity.

Offline hesham

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 04:20:53 am »
Web site name will change ?

I think no,that's a trade mark all over the world,even encyclopedias,such as Wikipedia.

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 06:10:41 am »
i have not a Facebook account !

I don't like Facebook. I'd love to keep the forum as it is.

Offline steelpillow

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 06:11:07 am »
Social media integration is for me only two things - one, let users use their existing Facebook or Google logon to sign up to the forum and not have to create specific username/password, and two, the ability for users to easily share a topic into Facebook or Twitter.
If new users can come here straight from their social media chattering and start posting instantly, that would be the death of this as a serious forum.
Facebook has closed groups for its serious topics, requiring approval by a group Admin. Media sign-in here must only be possible for a user account which you have already approved, there is no way you can spend your life blocking idiots.
Cheers.

Offline Schneiderman

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2017, 06:29:08 am »
A bit harsh.............but I have to agree