RAF: Secret Jets of Cold War Britain

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Appears to be out now. Looks like nice work from Dan Sharp. It is basically 132 pages on the OR.329 /F155T competition, with lots of original material from the brochures of each design and splendid renderings from one of forum members.

Attachments

• RAFColdWarBritain2017.jpg
    RAFColdWarBritain2017.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 795
Amazing!

Gorgeus cover and promising contents.

I was surprised to get notice of this in my daily update from Aviation Megastore. The brier bits they show are quite tantalizing. Definitely have to acquire this one.

You can buy the digital copy here for £5.99

https://pocketmags.com/aviation-classics-magazine/raf-secret-jets-of-cold-war-britain

printed copy here (£6.99 with free UK delivery)

https://www.classicmagazines.co.uk/product/5532/bookazine-raf-secret-jets-of-cold-war-britain

Attachments

• ContactSheet-001.jpg
    ContactSheet-001.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 762
  • ContactSheet-002.jpg
    ContactSheet-002.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 733
  • ContactSheet-003.jpg
    ContactSheet-003.jpg
    435.8 KB · Views: 685
  • ContactSheet-004.jpg
    ContactSheet-004.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 654
  • ContactSheet-005.jpg
    ContactSheet-005.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 245
Thanks for the links and the preview; one way or another a definite sale here :)

I got my eBook copy today. Its really great. Dan Sharp just stands for quality. He just raised my interest in british aviation and aeronautics (since I read "Britain´s Space Shuttle").

WH Smaug in Oxford does not yet have a copy.
I have one Meldrew moan peculiar to me I notice from the scans that the artwork is spread across two pages. I prefer single page artwork as I sometimes cut up soft back books and put the relevant pages inside hardback books on the same subject. This allows me to kee down the quantity of books in my library and avoids piles of magazines. I know this is a bad habit but.....

So why do these publications have so little information on the Thin wing Javelin, aka the Gloster GA6?Considering this project reached a part built prototype, XG336, which went to the scrap man "Coles", and was Gloster Aircraft Companies death nail I'm surprised there's not more coverage. Also the aircraft which is frequently portrayed as the Thin Wing Javelin, ie the P376, is not the one which was being built i.e. the P371 and there's quite a difference. About 20 years ago I by chance found a very interesting photo set from the air ministry contact termination report which clearly shows what was constructed;- I passed this on to the Gloster Jet Age Museum and should still be there

In this case, because its actually just about F155T and the thin-wing Javelin was not a submission to F155T.

I humbly suggest a visit by you to the Jet Age Museum would result in enough material for a very interesting article on the thin-wing Javelin. If you don't think your writing skills are good enough, I would happily collaborate on it. Living in New Zealand, its tough for me to get there!

Another excellent publication by Dan Sharp, I don't know of any other author who can produce such densely packed bookazines' so many great reproductions of original illustrations and great art by Daniel Uhr and Luca Landino (a shame that Daniel's SR177 has disappeared into the fold of the book though).
I hadn't realised that the Avro Canada CF105 compared so badly with The large Fairey for instance, it was always my favourite choice to enter service.
I remember reading somewhere that Roland Beamont was very impressed with the EE P8 apart from his exasperation with British designers not giving enough attention to all-round visibility and in particular , the terrible rearward view.
Thoroughly recommend this book, hoping for a follow up on OR339 now!

AlanDavies said:
Another excellent publication by Dan Sharp, I don't know of any other author who can produce such densely packed bookazines' so many great reproductions of original illustrations and great art by Daniel Uhr and Luca Landino (a shame that Daniel's SR177 has disappeared into the fold of the book though).
I hadn't realised that the Avro Canada CF105 compared so badly with The large Fairey for instance, it was always my favourite choice to enter service.
I remember reading somewhere that Roland Beamont was very impressed with the EE P8 apart from his exasperation with British designers not giving enough attention to all-round visibility and in particular , the terrible rearward view.

Thank you for enjoying the work ;)
Cheers Daniel

AlanDavies said:
I am awaiting my hard copy but what I've seen looks great and I will second those hopes.

The local Barnes & Noble stores are getting more on the ball regarding Mortons publications. I was able to find this one a few days ago, along with the other recent volume on RAF Fighters of WWII. The Allied Fighters and latest Luftwaffe issues are also locally available here in greater Atlanta.

Zootycoon, PaulMM,

an article about the thin wing Javelin projects would be very appreciated. Looking at the published P. 371 or P.376 drawings I always wondered why they are called "thin wing". Although larger aircrafts (especially the P.376) than the standard Javelin the wings do not seem to be much (if at all) reduced in thickness. Only the later attack version P.384 shows a wing thickness suitable for supersonic dashes.

Got this for Christmas from someone who knows my tastes well

It's excellent. Congrats to newsdeskdan, paulmm, Geist and all others involved!

My copy arrived the week before Christmas. It makes a fascinating comparison with, at a slightly earlier timeframe, the USAF LRI competition that was won by NAA's F-108.

I have received the book yesterday.
Great job & artwork.
Just a infinitesimal regret: Page 45 top right, the drawing of the illegitimate son of the P.1103 and HP-115 ;D is sooooooooo small.
Congratulations to Dan Sharp and all involved.

I have just finished reading the bookazine. Congratulations to the author, it is really excellent !!

Hopefully more will come....OR339 and why not some american ones like the LRI-X or the design competition for the B70.

best

F_T

ford_tempo said:
....OR339 and why not some american ones like the LRI-X or the design competition for the B70.
I agree, those would be very nice, indeed, as there were some facinating entries in the LRI-X competition. I believe Scott Lowther has pretty well covered the main B-70 competitors in his publications, but you wonder who else was in the preliminary evaluation.

Just got a copy today. Excellent piece of work, as has been said here many times.

The Fairey saga is of especial interest to me at the moment. Interesting to see how the Ministry correspondence compares with Company- and staff-derived accounts.

Looking forward to the sequels! One on the VTOL saga from P.1127 to F-35B would not go amiss.