39.3 KB · Views: 1,642
  • Ramwing Transport aircraft.jpg
    Ramwing Transport aircraft.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 1,477
  • Imagine for future.jpg
    Imagine for future.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,459
Last edited:
I am still confused how the Lippisch Aerodyne is supposed to work, is it a direct vectored thrust vehicle or does the body conform to the 'Coanda Effect'?

Aerodyne the wingless, tailess plane in remote-control flight inside hanger; inventor Alexander Lippisch at controls.
December 1955

© Time Inc.

Attachments

• aerod4.jpg
    aerod4.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 217
  • aerod3.jpg
    aerod3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 225
  • aerod2.jpg
    aerod2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 253
  • aerod1.jpg
    aerod1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 217
From "The Aeroplane" .1.56, another impression of the Lippisch Aerodyne,
with a short description of the principle .

Attachments

• Lippisch-Aerodyne.jpg
    Lippisch-Aerodyne.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 233
Jemiba said:
From "The Aeroplane" .1.56, another impression of the Lippisch Aerodyne,
with a short description of the principle .

"...internal lift-inducing system" ??? Isn't that what the Hindenburg used ?

Regards,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark

PS: If (as it seems) the aerodyne uses direct lift fans, wouldn't the specific fuel consumption be through the roof ?

"Isn't that what the Hindenburg used ?"

Principally, you're right, I think ! Lift is generated inside the vehicle, contrary
to the use of conventional wings, where it's outside. Nevertheless a lighter-than
air vehicle would be a cheat here ! ;)
There were tests with real (unmanned) aerodynes, built by Dornier with parti-
cipation of Alexander Lippisch, so I think, the basic principle was the same.
Maybe in forward flight the shrouded fan acts like a ringwing ?
(photo from http://www.deutsches-museum.de/flugwerft/sammlungen/senkrechtstarter/aerodyne/)

Attachments

• Aerodyne301.jpg
    Aerodyne301.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,076
I came across this title at a second hand bookshop sometime ago and was a bit put off by the mathematics but it think it provided the aerodynamic theory between the tailess and delta configuration of Dr Alexander Lippisch.

'The Aerodynamics of the Unconventional Air Vehicles of A. Lippisch' by Henry V Borst.

Found today an article about the aerodyne written by Alexander Lippisch himself
in Aero 6/1960. An artist's impression of an aerodyne as a light transport (bizjet
today) and three eletrical powered models with different configurations are shown.
And it is said, that the basic principle would be the same in the large "wingless aircraft".

Attachments

• Aerodyne_01.jpg
    Aerodyne_01.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 363
  • Aerodyne_02.jpg
    Aerodyne_02.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 339
  • Aerodyne_03.JPG
    Aerodyne_03.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,089
Jemiba,
Does the article mention the working principles behind the concept? I may be way off but I think it might employ the same principle as Robert Carr's Inner Wing at http://www.rexresearch.com/carrcoan/carrcoan.htm

The article only mentiones the re-direction of the engines airflow, so not
only giving propulsion, but also lift for the aircraft. Actually, the style of the
article seems a little bit vainly to me. A.Lippisch mentiones, that several people
has regarded his wingless designs as inherent uneconomical, but he completely
refused those arguments.
But thanks for the link, perhaps I should ask Robert Carr personally , how to achieve
a better landing behaviour for the Xstream flyers ! :D

Attachments

• internal.JPG
    internal.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 250
Jemiba said:
The article only mentiones the re-direction of the engines airflow, so not
only giving propulsion, but also lift for the aircraft. Actually, the style of the
article seems a little bit vainly to me. A.Lippisch mentiones, that several people
has regarded his wingless designs as inherent uneconomical, but he completely
refused those arguments.

Well, if I remember my VTOL theory correctly (and if anyone can correct me, please do so), the efficiency of a direct-lift VTOL air vehicle in hover is directly related to "disc loading", that is the amount of weight that each unit area of the lifting airflow has to carry.

Because helicopters have such large lifting airflow areas (basically the area of the rotor disc) they are quite efficient in hover, whereas something like the Harrier (with it's teensy little nozzles) have crappy efficiency. Since the Lippisch designs seems to me to have quite small lifting airflow areas (and since this lifting airflow isn't just used during take-off and landing, but during flight as well), I'm guessing efficiency would be quite lousy. Any test data on this ?

And could the internal airflow somehow generate aerodynamic lift during forward flight ?

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Denmark

Looking at the example marked "Aerodyne_01.jpg" it does appear that the "disc loading" would be much better then a Harrier, for example, thought still inferior to a helicopter. I see the aerodyne as more akin to a tail-sitter or a coleopter, but the vanes diverting the airflow allow a more pleasant take-off/landing angle.

Hi,

here is an armed Lippisch Aerodyne of 1955.

Attachments

• Lippisch Aerodyne 1955.jpg
    Lippisch Aerodyne 1955.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 263
amsci99 said:
I came across this title at a second hand bookshop sometime ago and was a bit put off by the mathematics but it think it provided the aerodynamic theory between the tailess and delta configuration of Dr Alexander Lippisch.

'The Aerodynamics of the Unconventional Air Vehicles of A. Lippisch' by Henry V Borst.

Copy found here:
http://openlibrary.org/books/OL4121929M/aerodynamics_of_the_unconventional_air_vehicles_of_A._Lippisch

Randy

Three available in the U.S.:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Henry+V+Borst&sts=t&tn=The+Aerodynamics+of+the+Unconventional+Air+Vehicles+of+A.+Lippisch&x=19&y=11

Enjoy the Day! Mark

From InterAvia 5/1960 concepts for an aerodyne missile and a
heavy transport.
BTW, there's a page about the aerodynaimc basics, too, unfortunately
in german, but probably it was in the english issue as well ?
And who's willing to cope with the german language, just drop a PM.

Attachments

• Aerodyne_Transport.jpg
    Aerodyne_Transport.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,441
  • Aerodyne_Missile.jpg
    Aerodyne_Missile.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,407

Attachments

• gl8.jpg
    gl8.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 1,193
here also http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5828.0.html
This "aircraft" is labeled "Lippisch Gleit-Bombenflugzeug" or Messerschmitt "Libelle" or Hitler's "Silent Dart"
for me, this is a Fake

Thanks guys. I really should have remembered that 'Silent Dart' topic. :)

Looks like it might actually be a design from around the latter half of 1941 or there abouts. Messerschmitt's late war Libelle and Wespe projects may have inherited some elements from it. Checking some more details at the moment.

Considering the similarity of the 'Drad' to the Piasecki Air Jeep, is it know if Lippisch worked there?

:eek: I can't find much similarity with the AirGeep myself...

Attachments

• Piasecki Aerial Jeep.jpg
    Piasecki Aerial Jeep.jpg
    521.9 KB · Views: 135
  • piasecki-airgeep.jpg
    piasecki-airgeep.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 828
If you look at the first photo you've posted (btw, I believe this to be a later version to the second), you'll observe the tandem lift fans and the rear duct angled somewhat aft (this is done to both reduce drag and help with stability in the hover). If one then examines the cross section of the 'Drad', one finds both features present there. Therefore conceptually, they are [to my eyes] very similar platforms. The only difference is one of scale.

Regards,

S

shedofdread said:
I believe this to be a later version to the second)

You are very right. The second picture represents the VZ-8P AirGeep (Model PA-59K) of 1958, while the first one depicts the VZ-8P(B) or VZ-8P-2 AirGeep II (Model PA-59H) of 1962.

There was also a third (intermediary) variant, the PA-59N SeaGeep, similar to the unbent VZ-8P with floats underneath.

hesham said:
Hi,

the Lippisch Drad V/STOL project;

http://www.unicraft.biz/

That just looks.......No! :p In profile, it reminds me of the "remarkable worm said to be unknown to science" that drove Isadora Persano stark staring mad.

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

I adore this man, he's my idol i couldn't prevent me from posting a reply here just to express my complete adoration to this man, we don't talk about enough despite that he's a great man and has contribute a lot to aeronautics

Cheers

Here is the Lippisch Supersonic Delta.

Attachments

• lip3.jpg
    lip3.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,189
Dornier Aerodyne concept model photo found on eBay.

URL:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dornier-Aerodyne-Wingless-Plane-8x10-1970-/390452566224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ae8c958d0

Attachments

• phot9576a.jpg
    phot9576a.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 409
  • phot9576b.jpg
    phot9576b.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 397
Hi,

From the Lippisch site,many unbuilt projects;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,17628.msg167972.html#msg167972
http://cdm16001.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/search/collection/p15031coll11/page/8

Attachments

• Lippisch 6.jpg
    Lippisch 6.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 191
  • Lippisch 5.jpg
    Lippisch 5.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 194
  • Lippisch 4.jpg
    Lippisch 4.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 184
  • Lippisch 3.jpg
    Lippisch 3.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 192
  • Lippisch 2.jpg
    Lippisch 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 766
  • Lippisch 1.jpg
    Lippisch 1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 836
  • Ekranoplane.jpg
    Ekranoplane.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,082
  • Lippisch fighter.jpg
    Lippisch fighter.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,122
Hi,

the Lippisch military Aerodyne;

http://www.the-blueprints.com/modules/gallery/originals/04489-10514.jpg

Attachments

• Lippisch military Aerodyne.jpg
    Lippisch military Aerodyne.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 195
Hi,

Hesham : actually the latest image posted was a render done by me, at a time i didn't have much modelling experience so the render isn't that nice, that's why im going to remodel that aircraft for fun and thanks for reminding me.

regards

Attachments

• Lippisch 2.jpg
    Lippisch 2.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 167
  • Lippisch 1.jpg
    Lippisch 1.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 165