lrew2.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 447
  • Pages from OSD_0400_PB_18_Justification_Book_Final.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 32
  • Perkins.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
Great find sir!

Do you have the whole OSD Emerging Tech budget doc? Thanks

Wonder why they're using canards instead of a CUDA-like thruster arrangement. ???

sferrin said:
Wonder why they're using canards instead of a CUDA-like thruster arrangement. ???

Looks almost exactly like the Excalibur canard section. Maybe it's just a case of the artist recycling existing graphics elements, not representing the specific design, which is still classified.

TomS said:
sferrin said:

Looks almost exactly like the Excalibur canard section.

Made me think of this:

Attachments

• untitledxxxx.png
    untitledxxxx.png
    622.6 KB · Views: 388
I would expect something more like CUDA with a booster, making the full assembly about the size of AIM-120.

Hood said:
Apparently that image was shown in a presentation last April by Chuck Perkins, the principal deputy to the assistant secretary of defense for research and engineering.
Flight are assuming that it was an unclassified concept image rather than an actual LREW design study.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/new-long-range-missile-project-emerges-in-us-budget-442816/
Probably that's why Perkins presentation is attached in the first message of the topic (which actually have initiated publication at Flight site), and image is labeled as 'LREW concept art'.

flateric said:
Hood said:
Apparently that image was shown in a presentation last April by Chuck Perkins, the principal deputy to the assistant secretary of defense for research and engineering.
Flight are assuming that it was an unclassified concept image rather than an actual LREW design study.
https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/new-long-range-missile-project-emerges-in-us-budget-442816/
Probably that's why Perkins presentation is attached in the first message of the topic (which actually have initiated publication at Flight site), and image is labeled as 'LREW concept art'.

The number of trade publications/outlets/hacks who shamelessly lift postings and analysis from this site without attribution is appalling.

One did PM me out of apparent guilt. You know who you are.

In this case there's no problem with Trimble as I shared discovery with him.

flateric said:
In this case there's no problem with Trimble as I shared discovery with him.

And proper attribution on Trimble's part would have made your sharing clear and
obviated the need for this discussion :)

Oh, I'm already too old for that wannabefamous stuff.

flateric said:
Oh, I'm already too old for that wannabefamous stuff.

Now we just need to get the people taking without attribution to feel the same way!

bobbymike said:
Do you have the whole OSD Emerging Tech budget doc? Thanks

http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/Documents/defbudget/FY2018/budget_justification/pdfs/03_RDT_and_E/OSD_0400_PB_18_Justification_Book_Final.pdf

Is that revive of AIM-152?

I hope so.

bFufFe0.jpg

I wonder how many of those they could have stuffed into an F-22. :'(

I did a napkin-analysis once and found that 7-8 could fit in each of the F-22's bays for a total of 14-16.

If they made a short-booster version as an Aim-9 replacement then 2-3 could fit in each Aim-9 bay.

Yeah, that much.

My calculations were based on that they are tube launched, can be packed in tight, can be stacked in two layers, and were planned to be launched via a tilting bed method (F-14 center-line plan).

Back
Top Bottom