Portsmouth Destroyer Refit Complex

Pirate Pete

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I have seen reference to, although at present I am unable to recall where, that there were plans to build a Destroyer Refit complex at Portsmouth Dockyard along the lines of the Frigate Refit Complex at Devonport. I believe part of the plan was realised (alongside the large dry-docks in the main basin) with the construction on new dockside buildings, but the originally intended(?) covering of the docks like Devonport was cancelled.
Does anyone know if this is the case, or is this 'urban myth' lost in the mists of various Defence Statements?
If so, along the lines of the CVA-01 dry dock lane for Portsmouth, are there any plans available?

Last edited:
Thanks for that - reading the Hansard link reminded me that that was where I am fairly sure I saw the reference, although there is probably a more general remark published elsewhere in one of the Military Periodicals.
Probably a forlorn hope but it would be good if some formal plans came to light, although the M.o.D. is not known to be as comprehensive in keeping 'old' records as the Admiralty had been prior to their existence.

There might be plans lodged with the local council if they went through the planning permission process. I wouldn't necessarily expect them to hold onto, say, a house extension project at this late date, but the Dockyard is the kind of thing that possibly has a file of its own that stuff automatically gets added to. Equally the Dockyard itself might hold stuff.