TSR2: Britain's Lost Cold War Strike Jet--Osprey X-Planes No.5

ov-101

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
By Andrew Brookes

The TSR2 is one of the greatest "what-if" aircraft of the Cold War, whose cancellation still generates anger and controversy among aviation fans. It was a magnificent, cutting-edge aircraft, one of the most striking of the Cold War, but fell victim to cost overruns, overambitious requirements, and politics. Its scrapping marked the point when Britain's aerospace industry could no longer build world-class aircraft independently. After the demise of TSR2 the RAF's future jets would be modified US aircraft like the Phantom and pan-European collaborations like Tornado and Typhoon.

In this book the eminent air power analyst and ex-Vulcan bomber pilot Andrew Brookes takes a fresh, hard-headed look at the TSR2 project, telling the story of its development, short career, and cancellation, and evaluating how it would have performed in Cold War strike roles as well as in the recent wars in the Middle East.

Series: X-Planes (Book 5)
Paperback: 80 pages
Publisher: Osprey Publishing (October 24, 2017)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 147282248X
ISBN-13: 978-1472822482

Attachments

• 512YpsjWIzL.jpg
    512YpsjWIzL.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 377
Very pleased with this book, interesting text and I do like the artist impressions by Adam Tooby (if Airfix ever release operational versions of their 1/72 and 1/48 kits they need look no further for their box art).
The fact that Andrew Brookes has had a distinguished career in the defence field helps the credibility of the what-if elements of the book.
We have been well served with books on the TSR2 in the last few years but I always welcome another.

Do we need yet another book on TSR2?

Personally, I found it a nice addition to my collection of TSR.2 books. A slightly different perspective is always interesting.