Bigelow lunar sooner.

carmelo

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
What do you think about the Bigelow proposal for the moon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a62_n1zo4I0

It flies too low and will crash into a lunar mountain. More seriously : this smells like a reaction to Musk lunar BFR plans.

Archibald said:
It flies too low and will crash into a lunar mountain. More seriously : this smells like a reaction to Musk lunar BFR plans.

No, it's much more reality-based: the administration announced a plan to send humans back to the Moon, and Bigelow is saying "I can do it quickly and for not much money." It's an effort to go after NASA money.

The problem is that NASA has been developing its Deep Space Gateway program for awhile now, and this would shortcut that. And there's no way that Congress would fund both projects. That situation has happened numerous times over several decades where an upstart company says that they can do something quicker and cheaper, as long as Congress kills the existing NASA project and gives them the money instead. You can look up the Industrial Space Facility (ISF) for a similar example.

I don't see a problem with throwing a few bones their direction. If they can do it cheaper than the typical NASA Swiss watch approach more power to them.

blackstar said:
The problem is that NASA has been developing its Deep Space Gateway program for awhile now, and this would shortcut that.

Why not a Deep Space Gateway with Bigelow modules?

P.S.
Robust debris and radiation protection.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2017-10-20 23-39-54.jpg
    Screenshot from 2017-10-20 23-39-54.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 159
carmelo said:
Why not a Deep Space Gateway with Bigelow modules?

P.S.
Robust debris and radiation protection.
You may see that. The B.E.A.M. module on the ISS right now is a tech demonstrator and also a pathfinder. One of the things it does is gets Bigelow used to dealing with NASA standards and practices. That will enable Bigelow to propose its equipment for future NASA spacecraft.