Luftwaffe: Secret Wings of the Third Reich

sienar said:
I have to say your are doing an excellent job with the past few books you've released. Good content with proper context, unlike most of the late war books on the market. Reproductions of original plans is much appreciated as well.

Also is that a bit of a 309 sideview on the intro page on the border of drawings? Any plans on covering the wartime piston projects?

Thanks and yes it is. Here is the info panel from the same drawing (attached). No plans for a dedicated piston projects title at present. The research goes on.

Attachments

• Me 309 panel.jpg
    Me 309 panel.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 664
gatoraptor said:
After not finding the publication in five Barnes & Noble stores in the Atlanta area, I took advantage of a holiday trip to Pennsylvania. The Barnes & Nobles in Lancaster and Reading didn't have it either, but I hit paydirt in the Devon store, just west of King of Prussia, which had a dozen copies!

So if you're in southeast Pennsylvania and can't find the publication in bookstores, head to Devon!
Well, bless my soul! It finally showed up at one of the B&N stores here in the Atlanta area...

gatoraptor said:
gatoraptor said:
After not finding the publication in five Barnes & Noble stores in the Atlanta area, I took advantage of a holiday trip to Pennsylvania. The Barnes & Nobles in Lancaster and Reading didn't have it either, but I hit paydirt in the Devon store, just west of King of Prussia, which had a dozen copies!

So if you're in southeast Pennsylvania and can't find the publication in bookstores, head to Devon!
Well, bless my soul! It finally showed up at one of the B&N stores here in the Atlanta area...

B&N must have an interesting distribution network - a friend of mine on holiday in Phoenix, Arizona, sent me a photo of it on a magazine rack at the B&N in Tempe Marketplace on November 17. The Claes Sundin Allied Fighters profiles bookazine I wrote back in May was there too, so Mortons products are evidently finding their way over the pond.

newsdeskdan said:
B&N must have an interesting distribution network - a friend of mine on holiday in Phoenix, Arizona, sent me a photo of it on a magazine rack at the B&N in Tempe Marketplace on November 17. The Claes Sundin Allied Fighters profiles bookazine I wrote back in May was there too, so Mortons products are evidently finding their way over the pond.
B&N had quoted me an "on-shelf" date of 10/31. The "Allied Fighters" book, as well as yours, both appear to have arrived locally about a month late. I don't mind waiting a month as long as they do arrive eventually.

Dan, will there be a kindle version available? I thought I saw one on amazon a few weeks ago, but there doesn't appear to be one now.

Do not touch the Kindle version if there is one! The Kindle version of "Luftwaffe Secret Bombers of the Third Reich" had the text but left out 90% of the illustrations and drawings.

Pocketmags has the complete digital edition here: https://pocketmags.com/us/aviation-classics-magazine

sienar said:
Dan, will there be a kindle version available? I thought I saw one on amazon a few weeks ago, but there doesn't appear to be one now.

I hope not. The previous two had the words but very few of the images that were present in other versions, just as Richard says.

This booklet is an extremely well researched compelation. Not expecting to read anything new regarding this topic it is astonishing to see there still seems to be a lot of unexplored material in diverse archives.

An important difference compared to previous publications regarding Luftwaffe projects (primarily German publications from Hans Redemann, Walter Schick, Ingolf Meyer, etc.) is the additional sourcing of British (and American?) interrogations and documents and a description of behind the scenes factionalism of personalities and politics as well as a logical timeline of the projects. The attention of the author for staying away from speculation and fiction is very appreciated. Another valuable contribution is the reproduction of never published original drawings (different variants of the Heinkel P 1079, Arado 7. Entwurf, etc.) and the exact color drawings by Daniel Uhr.

A similar work regarding dive bomber/ground attack aircrafts or projected aircraft radar/weapon systems (if not already described by Fritz Trenkle or Fritz Hahn) would be very welcome ;)

Basil said:
This booklet is an extremely well researched compelation.

A similar work regarding ... projected aircraft radar/weapon systems (if not already described by Fritz Trenkle or Fritz Hahn) would be very welcome ;)

Thanks, although I wouldn't say it precisely fitted the description of a booklet - at 85,000 words and 300+ images it's bigger than many books.

Regarding projected weapon systems, does either Fritz cover the BMW Luftstrahlgeschoss (image attached) or Flügelgranate? How about the Henschel Zitterrochen?

EDIT: I realise that the attached image does not show the air-launched 'glide bomb' version. I don't intend to publish that online.

Attachments

• BMW Luftstrahlgeschoss.jpg
    BMW Luftstrahlgeschoss.jpg
    629.3 KB · Views: 343
Agreed, not a booklet :)

I know the Zitterrochen, but not the BMW proposal; seems to be powered by a small Pabst ramjet. I will have a look in Hahn´s book "Flugzeugbewaffnungen" but I do not think it is included. Btw it does not seem to be aircraft launched, does it?

newsdeskdan said:
Basil said:
This booklet is an extremely well researched compelation.

A similar work regarding ... projected aircraft radar/weapon systems (if not already described by Fritz Trenkle or Fritz Hahn) would be very welcome ;)

Thanks, although I wouldn't say it precisely fitted the description of a booklet - at 85,000 words and 300+ images it's bigger than many books.

Regarding projected weapon systems, does either Fritz cover the BMW Luftstrahlgeschoss (image attached) or Flügelgranate? How about the Henschel Zitterrochen?

EDIT: I realise that the attached image does not show the air-launched 'glide bomb' version. I don't intend to publish that online.

Hi! Interesting question: the Luftstrahlgeschoss and some similar projects done by Tromsdorff are mentioned in Anthony L. Kay (German Gas Turbine ...). Hahn only gave a few lines and a hand-made drawing to the Zitterrochen (p. 227-228).

Henschel Zitterrochen? The best drawings I know of are from a NACA report published in April 1948 (all three attached). Despite this late date, the drawings themselves seem to be straight lifts from an original German report dated July 10, 1944. Sadly, this report doesn't give much background to the design in terms of its development history etc. It translates Zitterrochen as 'Trembling Ray'.
Another report I have, produced for the Allies in August 1945 by Julius Henrici, gives the background, another drawing, and a translation of 'Electric Ray'.

Attachments

• Henschel Zitterrochen 1.jpg
    Henschel Zitterrochen 1.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 235
  • Henschel Zitterrochen 2.jpg
    Henschel Zitterrochen 2.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Henschel Zitterrochen 3.jpg
    Henschel Zitterrochen 3.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 215
Hi Dan,
can you upload a bigger version drawing of BV P 209.02 with unswept tail?
Thank you in advance!

Zizi6785 said:
Hi Dan,
can you upload a bigger version drawing of BV P 209.02 with unswept tail?
Thank you in advance!

Hopefully this is sufficient.

Attachments

• P 209.02.jpg
    P 209.02.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 92
Just popping in to say I enjoyed the bookazine a lot - and it has a place in my bookshelf.

I'd find one on piston powered projects of that time very interesting....

Adding to this thread, some input from a 1945 report on aircraft remote control turrets: the Lippisch P11, well depicted in Dan`s volumes 1 and 3, was considered to receive the following armament:

5 Mk 103`s with 120 rounds aech;
5 Mk 108`s with 120 rounds each;
2 Mk 103`s and 2 MG 213C;
2 Mk 112`s of 50 rounds each;
1 Mk 214a and 2 Mk 103.

It was produced from Rheinmetall-Borsig`s documents and researchers statements. They confirm Henschel was meant to build the airplane.

Addendum to p72-73. This appears to be the missing link between the large-fin version of the P 212.02 and the P 212.03. Confusingly, it's also just labelled 'P 212.02', where it appears to be the P 212.02-03 in sequence. In detail terms, besides the shorter dorsal fin and longer rear fuselage, it already has the framed cockpit of the P 212.03 and someone has sketched on a longer nose and the wingtip fins like those of the P 212.03.

Attachments

• P 212-02 detail 2.png
    P 212-02 detail 2.png
    660.3 KB · Views: 302
  • P 212-02 detail 1.png
    P 212-02 detail 1.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 346
  • BV P 212-02.png
    BV P 212-02.png
    411.1 KB · Views: 365
newsdeskdan said:
Addendum to p72-73.

It has other features similar to the P 212.03, including the fuselage cross-section and five-gun nose armament. It appears to differ only the lack of a definitive tailfin with backwards-trailing rudder. That sloped nose is a hangover from the .01, not a precursor to the .03 - odd to see both .01 and .03 features pencilled in on the same .02 drawing.

The real anomaly is the "ridgeback" .02 with its short nose and aft pilot position but a longer tail. That would have affected the CG quite noticeably, especially with the minimal nose armament, so it must have been either a different and lighter engine or a preliminary study before the CG was properly assessed.

Zizi6785 said:
steelpillow said:
five-gun nose armament.

Just three gun!!

Five is what is drawn: two on either side below the cockpit and one centrally in front.

P%20212-02-guns.png

Hi

Attachments

• img212.jpg
    img212.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
  • img213.jpg
    img213.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 55
  • img214.jpg
    img214.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 44
  • img215.jpg
    img215.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 60
  • img217.jpg
    img217.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 81
  • img218.jpg
    img218.jpg
    817.8 KB · Views: 115
The original undoctored Messerschmitt P 08 brochure 3-view, complete with turrets and option for greater wingspan.
If I may ask, how long is this brochure of Me P 08 ? Would it be possible to making it available in high resolution (as e.g. a zip file or something else) ?

The original undoctored Messerschmitt P 08 brochure 3-view, complete with turrets and option for greater wingspan.
If I may ask, how long is this brochure of Me P 08 ? Would it be possible to making it available in high resolution (as e.g. a zip file or something else) ?

It's about 16 pages long (excluding graphs, title page, contents etc.) but it's not good enough quality to reproduce in high resolution.

Very thank you for an answer.
I'm asking because all the information about this aircraft they are from second hand, and in shortened form.
I'm more interested all informations (with graphs, title page, contents etc.) Is missing a original documentation, and I'd like to be able to research and learn more about this project.
What quality can be obtained ?

It's about 16 pages long (excluding graphs, title page, contents etc.) but it's not good enough quality to reproduce in high resolution.
Would you like maybe information about e.g. Hamburger Flugzeugbau Ha 137 or FCM 2C ?
Articles (including from the era), photos, archival films (if they are) and plans; patents, and others like that. / Such a dataset.
By means of Google Drive.