Was there a proposed ‘Improved Clemenceau-class aircraft carrier'???

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day gents

I wondering if there was ever a proposed ‘Improved Clemenceau-class aircraft carrier' - either modified or new-built for the Marine Nationale or foreign operators?
Somewhere I thought I read that an modified or improved Clemenceau was proposed - armed with Masurca SAM launcher's?

Also of interest, Ive read conflicting reports that the Clemenceau-class
Aircraft carried: 40 aircraft (Post-World War II), but others that state that 56 aircraft (after 1990 modernisation)
Can anyone verify if this is correct?

Regards
Pioneer

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16711.0.html

Thank you for your speedy reply JFC Fuller

But am I right in saying that the Verdun aircraft carrier was an re-design/enlarged Clemenceau?

Regards
Pioneer

Yes PA.58 Verdun was pretty much an enlarged Clemenceau. So is Charles de Gaulle, except with nuclear propulsion. Both Verdun and CdG are 45000 tons, the maximum size France can afford. Indeed the Richelieu class battleships, and Clemenceau-class carriers have one thing in common: their size (notably length) was / is limited by the Saint Nazaire shipyard / dockyard.

The only way to get around that limit is to go Queen Elizabeth carrier - that is building separate blocks and then attach them together.

Thank you for the clarification Archibald ;D

Regards
Pioneer

A fascinating subject.
The drawings in the other thread are not that different from the CVA01.
An Anglo French carrier force in the 70s based on a joint design with AFVGs would have been quite a prize.
Perhaps if Heath had taken over from Macmillan in 1963 and