Register here

Author Topic: British Spec. 26/49,Rapide Replacement  (Read 1891 times)

Offline ursrius

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: British Spec. 26/49,Rapide Replacement
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 05:38:12 pm »
Regarding the P.64, 'Stuck on the Drawing Board' mentions only that the project existed, and John Silvester's 'Percival' book makes no mention at all. However, looking at the description, and the project number, I think it would be a safe bet to assume that the P.46 looked a lot like, and was developed into, the P.48 Merganser . . .

Are we getting our P.64 and P.46's mixed up?
P.64 was a simplified Prince powered by two Leonides radials, with fixed, strut braced undercarriage.
The P.46 was the Youngman-Baynes High Lift Monoplane, a much modified Proctor IV.

See 'On The Wings of A Gull', by David W. Gearing (Air Britain)

Offline robunos

• CLEARANCE: Top Secret
  • You're Mad, You Are.....
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 02:20:49 pm »
Ooopsie!  . . .   :-[
Yes, I did mean the P.64 and P.65 . . . Once again I've been struck with the curse of 'Stuck on the Drawing Board'! It's a great book, but it's in two parts; the narrative chapters at the front, and the project lists at the back. And the second part is not referenced in the first . . . so, having looked in the front part, and seeing only a brief mention, I never bothered to look in the rear part. Had I done so, I would have found, on page 232, the three-view drawing of the P.65 below. It was also late, so when I mixed up P.64 and P.46, instead of noticing, I ran with it . . .
I have edited my earlier post to remove the erroneous information.
While I was looking again at 'Stuck on the Drawing Board', on page 244, I found a cutaway drawing of the Shorts 26/49 design . . .

cheers,
          Robin.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 02:35:44 pm by robunos »
Where ARE the Daleks when you need them......

Offline Hood

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2017, 01:00:42 am »
I don't normally post these but came across this from another source.
A marketing brochure for the Percival Merganser which seems to include some of the earlier studies and makes use of some of the designers' materials.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PERCIVAL-MERGANSER-MANUFACTURERS-SALES-BROCHURE-WITH-SEAT-PLANS-/192278207830?hash=item2cc4ac9d56:g:iM4AAOSwVRNZhmK2

Offline hesham

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2017, 02:52:39 pm »
Great find my dear Hood.