Register here

Author Topic: Real or fake  (Read 137510 times)

Offline Skyblazer

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Re: Real or fake
« Reply #150 on: December 05, 2012, 05:16:20 pm »
A Sikorsky S-58 with normal tail and huge contra-rotating propellers in the nose... Is this picture a fake? Thanks for any pointers!

Offline Bill Walker

• CLEARANCE: Secret
  • Per Ardua ad Nauseum
    • Canadian Military aircraft Serial Numbers
« Reply #151 on: December 05, 2012, 05:35:38 pm »
Since the normal single engine has been removed, and I don't see any signs of alternate air inlets or exhausts, I vote fake.
Bill Walker

Offline Abraham Gubler

« Reply #152 on: December 05, 2012, 05:43:50 pm »
Also since the helicopter is angled to the left and the propeller to the right its not even a well done photo fake.
"There is a tendency in our planning to confuse the unfamiliar with the improbable." Thomas Schelling

Offline hesham

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2012, 06:19:25 am »
The "source" probably is a book written by Friedrich Georg ! He's an "author", who still "proves", that Germany was just
about to win the war and that finishing the German A-bomb was just around the corner ...
And somebody else did some kitbashing to portray his idea of, well a Mistel-Rocket-Fighter/Bomber ...
Just my opinion, but I think it's BS..... eehm,... "fake " !
It takes a long time, before all mistakes are made ...

Offline hesham

« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »
Hi,

I know we spoke about EMW A-11 in this topic;
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11393.msg108457.html#msg108457

but was that a real A-11 project?,may be its variant;
http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/HERMANN%20NOORDUNG%20WOHNRAD.htm

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: January 04, 2013, 12:24:57 am »
Many questions are already answered in the thread, you've mentioned, hard data are said tobe very scarce,
all what is published, is more or less pure speculation. The A11 is said to have had 6 eocket engines, although
a model shows 8 of them. If you look at this drawing, you'll find ... 7 nozzles, that means 7 engines, all in a
line ! To me, this seems not to be a very probable layout, to say the least.
And, although nearly all sites contain at least a grain of truth, the source here is the "greyfalcon" site again,
a site we discussed several times before and always with the result: Not recommended with regards to credibility!

Offline hesham

« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2013, 04:10:10 am »
OK my dear Jemiba.

Offline hesham

« Reply #158 on: January 11, 2013, 08:40:26 am »
Hi,

was this a real Ekranoplane design?,or it is just a model.

http://www.infoflotforum.ru/index.php?showtopic=37159&st=70

Offline hesham

« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2013, 05:10:02 am »
Hi,

there is an article about French very large flying tank in old French magazine,
and re-publish here;Der fliegende Panzer" LUFTFAHRT international 13

was it a real project?,I think it was a fake.

http://alternathistory.org.ua/letayushchii-tank-frantsiya

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2013, 09:35:40 pm »
We already had it here, I think, just cannot find the thread in the moment. You're right, it
was a "fake", or better, it was a kind of fanciful prospect and probably not meant seriously.
Originally it was published in a french magazine and to me, it looks more like a caricature.

Offline hesham

« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2013, 03:41:14 am »
I think so my dear Jemiba,

but why it was published in a magazine,that magazine spoke about real aircraft only ?,
it was just a dream from French designer.

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2013, 04:15:45 am »
but why it was published in a magazine,that magazine spoke about real aircraft only ?,

Don't know in which French magazine it was published, but Luftfahrt International sometimes mentioned
things, that definitely weren't real ! For example, there was an article about "German Flying Saucers" and,
no, they didn't speak about aircraft like the Sack AS-5, but about those UFOs, very admired in certain
circles. But they always mentioned, that it were fakes, or at least extremely unrealistic ! So, be aware not
just to take the existence of an aircraft for granted, because there was a picture in that magazine. There's no
way (and there's NEVER such a way !) without at least a basic understanding of the accompanying text.

Offline hesham

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2013, 04:22:57 am »
At least my dear Jemiba,

it was a good imagination from them (French magazine).

Offline Jemiba

• Global Moderator
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »
it was a good imagination from them (French magazine).

Well, maybe, but I still have some doubts, and those were expressed, too, in the article in Luftfahrt International
(Just had a look into the issue again): Judging the overall appearance of the aircraft (somewhat resembling a B-17,
to my opinion), it seems to be build completely from armour plating. The helicopter, you can see on tghe drawing,
actually was carried by the aircraft and has just taken off from the dorsal hangar. Very good, because, the people
still there are giving the only usable scale and a quick and rough estimation gives the legth of about 90 m, so it
actually would dwarf the biggest recent aircraft ! But using that scale, it becomes clear, that all those gun turrets aren't
just armed with machine guns, but with weapons usually found on bigger warships ! Sorry, I'm not able to estimate the
weighht, such an aircraft would likely have, probably in the range of a smaller cruiser ? 4,000 to 5,000 tons ?
The articles last statement is, that the type of the 4 engines remains secret, but ... that the latest and most powerful
rocket engines probably would deliver enough thrust for such a monstrosity, so "maybe it's not that silly utopia ?".
But be aware, that the in the context last question clearly was asked tongue-in-cheek !  ;)