Photobucket now charging for hotlinks

Bgray

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Photobucket, with little or no warning, now demands about 399.99 to permit hotlinking of images. Anyone intending on posting images ot the board should look for another provider.

Bgray said:
Unfortunately, Photobucket, with little or no warning, now demands about 399.99 to permit hotlinking of images. Anyone intending on posting images ot the board should look for another provider.

Tell me about it, I've had to switch to Drop Box for image hosting, but it's not a perfect solution.

Bgray said:

Secretprojects offers free hosting of unlimited numbers of pic, only limitation is you can't use them elsewhere.

People on other forums have started using Imgur www.imgur.com. It seems to be a popular replacement for PB.

One Alternative is Flickr
NASA or San Diego Air&space Museum use them to upload there Entire Photo archive

Tumblr has issue, that clean up there Server from picture,
with copyright or other issue with there terms of business...

And there is Google Foto the former picasa

Bgray said:

Doesn't go into effect until 2018, at which point I'll have to dump Photobucket. :-\ Oh well.

sferrin said:
Doesn't go into effect until 2018, at which point I'll have to dump Photobucket. :-\ Oh well.
You may be right but on other forums masses of formerly linked images are no longer viewable

Schneiderman said:
sferrin said:
You may be right but on other forums masses of formerly linked images are no longer viewable

Anyone who has a 'free' account has had their links terminated now. Anyone who has a 'paid' account has until the end of 2018 before their links get terminated.

kitnut617 said:
Schneiderman said:
sferrin said:

Anyone who has a 'free' account has had their links terminated now. Anyone who has a 'paid' account has until the end of 2018 before their links get terminated.

At which point I'll stop being a paying customer. As I'm sure I won't be the only one, maybe they'll come to their senses by then.

sferrin said:
As I'm sure I won't be the only one, maybe they'll come to their senses by then.
I doubt it. They are a business that is burning through their VC paying for bandwidth that can not bring them a secondary income. The $399/year fee looks to be designed drive away the so-called freeloaders (or even the fee-payers) - they (the new CEO) don't want to be in this particular business anymore. This is a graceless way of clearing the decks. Their lack of awareness of the damage that they've caused in innumerable fora may -or may not- be disingenuous. (Remember that there is no such thing as bad publicity.) I suspect that the business will attempt a pivot into something else. Study PogoPlug. Remember them?

This also points out a big problem in third-party hosting in general - this service, unless monetized, will disappear in the future. Something that we all should consider the impacts of. Let's keep our favorite forums funded.

After all, "No bucks, no Buck Rogers".

I have a cloud service with my hotmail account and as long as I can, will use this as a hosting site. I did not have a large amount of pictures etc on photobucket and did not have a warning about links from the site but have removed my account. I await the future of photobucket with interest.

S.O.B. They ruined all my threads at whatifmodelers.com. I deleted my albums and plan to move to flickr.

Hopefully they will go bankrupt soon. The hell with those idiots.