:eek:

Attachments

• 076electronics 4 17 1980 018 (Large).jpg
    076electronics 4 17 1980 018 (Large).jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 625
That program almost ended my life!

yasotay said:

Any lessons you can share. Worked w/ someone once who was on that program. . Vanfanstock (long german name) I think. He said requirements creep killed it.

Any idea what the range was of the Aquila? And what was the system used?

jsport said:
yasotay said:

Any lessons you can share. Worked w/ someone once who was on that program. . Vanfanstock (long german name) I think. He said requirements creep killed it.

Well I did not work on it but I was flying Cobra helicopters at Fort Hood when it was in Operational Test (?) there. All of the western training area was off limits during the test so I was training on the east side of the post. Having just come out of a landing area a black arrowhead zipped across the nose of my aircraft at ~100m. (It was likely more, but old stories are more exciting this way) Several minutes later the air traffic service at Fort Hood announced that the Aquila had elected to do its own thing and everyone ought look out for it. The senior pilot on my aircraft rather colorfully informed the controller he was late with the call and the "#^($#" thing was heading east. I remember it decided to land itself somewhere east of Waco.

yasotay said:
jsport said:
yasotay said:

Well I did not work on it but I was flying Cobra helicopters at Fort Hood when it was in Operational Test (?) there. All of the western training area was off limits during the test so I was training on the east side of the post. Having just come out of a landing area a black arrowhead zipped across the nose of my aircraft at ~100m. (It was likely more, but old stories are more exciting this way) Several minutes later the air traffic service at Fort Hood announced that the Aquila had elected to do its own thing and everyone ought look out for it. The senior pilot on my aircraft rather colorfully informed the controller he was late with the call and the "#^($#" thing was heading east. I remember it decided to land itself somewhere east of Waco.
wow scary, they should have sent you to shoot it down then you could claim a helicopter air to air combat victory over a UAV. Painted an Aquila on your Helicopter.:D