Register here

Author Topic: The Admiralty and the Helicopter  (Read 14550 times)

Offline simmie

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
Re: The Admiralty and the Helicopter
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2018, 04:10:26 pm »
Mine arrived today, with Air Staff and the Helicopter.  Both in excellent condition and fabulous reads.

Offline pometablava

• Global Moderator
  • CLEARANCE: Top Secret
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2018, 08:12:14 am »
Mine, received too. Came fast and excellent condition. First impressions are great, nice art and superb text.

Congrats!

Offline RLBH

• CLEARANCE: Secret
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2018, 03:09:38 pm »
Astonishingly quick turnaround Chris - ordered my copy yesterday lunchtime and had it in my hands this morning!

Offline Hood

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2018, 03:30:24 am »
I'm glad you are all enjoying the book.

Sounds like Chris and the Royal Mail are doing a superb job.

Offline twarren57

• CLEARANCE: Restricted
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2018, 06:01:54 am »
Received TAATH and TASATH together yesterday. Both are MUSTS within any respectable library of post-1945 UK air projects! Arrived in excellent condition -- and only nine days after placing the order (which had to cross the pond). James and Chris are both superb and I'd buy any other of their aviation titles! :)

Offline Hood

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 05:10:38 am »
I will be at IMPS Telford tomorrow.
So if any members are around, I'll be lurking near the Project Cancelled SIG tables and there will be an official book launch and signing with The Aviation Bookshop too.

Offline PaulMM (Overscan)

• Secret Projects Forum Founder
  • Administrator
  • Paul Martell-Mead
    • Secret Projects
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2018, 11:06:38 am »
Nice! Telfords seem to be passing with alarming swiftness since I last attended.
"They can't see our arses for dust."

- Sir Sydney Camm

Offline TsrJoe

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2018, 12:04:51 pm »
Friday setup of the Project Cancelled group display, this years main theme being rotorcraft to tie in with James's recent book :)
...'excuse me mister, is that plane for real'...!!!

IPMS (UK) 'Project Cancelled' SIG. co,co-ordinator
IPMS (UK) 'TSR-2', 'Cold War' & 'What-if' SIG. Member

Offline robunos

• You're Mad, You Are.....
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2018, 03:09:38 pm »
I'm going . . .   ;D

cheers,
          Robin.
Where ARE the Daleks when you need them......

Offline von hitchofen

• CLEARANCE: Confidential
  • This space has been intentionally left blank.
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2018, 03:25:41 am »
Arrived today from Blue Envoy - very quick service.

Thanks James and Chris, it has filled a gap in my knowledge, and goes well with the recent purchase above!
BAE [abbr.] - in UK defence contracting, it stands for "Before Anyone Else"

Offline SteveO

« Reply #85 on: November 23, 2018, 01:40:57 pm »
Bought it, read it, thoroughly enjoyed it. Good job Mr Jackson! Westland came up with some very nice looking designs.

Offline Hood

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2018, 01:28:38 am »
Thank you for all the kind words, I'm happy that everyone has enjoyed reading it so far.

The Sycamore Seeds has slipped under my radar, looks like an interesting read.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2018, 02:23:40 am »
Thank you for all the kind words, I'm happy that everyone has enjoyed reading it so far.

The Sycamore Seeds has slipped under my radar, looks like an interesting read.

The Sycamore Seeds is essential for understanding the early development of British helicopters. It's really a sort of British Secret Projects: Helicopters 1. The terrible cover belies the fact that it was published in 2014 - so it's a recent book and crammed full of fantastic original research, project drawings, photos etc. The only caveat I would add is that you need to read Helicopters of the Third Reich by Steve Coates with JC Carbonel (2002) first, because Charles MacKay is a bit weak on the German designs which (he argues) heavily influenced early British helicopters.

Offline Hood

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2018, 02:52:05 am »
The Sycamore Seeds is essential for understanding the early development of British helicopters. It's really a sort of British Secret Projects: Helicopters 1. The terrible cover belies the fact that it was published in 2014 - so it's a recent book and crammed full of fantastic original research, project drawings, photos etc. The only caveat I would add is that you need to read Helicopters of the Third Reich by Steve Coates with JC Carbonel (2002) first, because Charles MacKay is a bit weak on the German designs which (he argues) heavily influenced early British helicopters.

Agreed, Helicopters of the Third Reich by Coates and Carbonel is probably the best volume on German helicopter development that I have read.

I think perhaps being produced by a non-mainstream publisher (I presume its self-published), Sycamore Seeds has probably escaped wider notice.

Offline newsdeskdan

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2018, 03:09:06 am »

Agreed, Helicopters of the Third Reich by Coates and Carbonel is probably the best volume on German helicopter development that I have read.

I think perhaps being produced by a non-mainstream publisher (I presume its self-published), Sycamore Seeds has probably escaped wider notice.

The Coates/Carbonel book was 2002 and Steve's continued to extensively research the subject ever since. I can tell you that there remains a huge amount of incredible material which has yet to be published.
Yep - The Sycamore Seeds is self-published. I order it via Amazon and it came bundled with a lovely little set of photos showing early British helicopter designs. Apparently it was originally going to be a two-volume set, the first volume covering 1900 to 1937 (up to the flight of the Weir W4), and the second covering 1937 to 1994 (the point at which MacKay originally completed his research).
As it is, it's a fascinating book covering a subject (British helicopters from 1900 to 1945) that I've not seen covered elsewhere.